• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Nihilus has arrived!!!

Guest kimballk

Guest kimballk

My Darth Nihilus arrived yesterday. Hopefully I can get everything set so I can take my submission pictures this weekend!!!!

:mrgreen:

Kevin

Guest kimballk

The only thing I've had time to take a pict in so far is the mask.

nihilusmask.jpg

I'm hoping to try the rest on this week, make any necessary alterations and take final picts this weekend.

Kevin

If the costume is in tip top completed shape then everything's easy. If it does need alteration or modification, though, we are here to help you tighten things up. We'll point out any deficiencies, if any, and steer you towards Nihilus perfection.

yay pictures!

the first thing I see is that the sides of the fabric by the mask are a little wide and should be brought in a bit.

^_^ Katie

PS thought of a few more things ^_^

the top between the "ears" needs a scoop, it's too flat right now and resembles the KOTOR version more than the COTF at the moment (if you need a picture to get what I mean I'll provide one for you ^_^). The skirt fabric does not match the tunic fabrics as it should (I'm getting nit-picky now) also you've got holes above the belt on the outer tunic it took me a minute to figure out that they were holes it threw my eyes off that much. The wide part of your belt appears brown where it should be black on black, if you take some boot black (kiwi liquid boot polish, it's a canister with a sponge on the tip) to it you should be able to get it to the right color, that's the major thing that you'll need to fix.

I agree with Katie, the "cat ears" are a bit wide on this costume.

The bottom hem of the inner tunic needs further weathering. The skirts and outer tunic are fine but the inner tunic is still a bit too neat on the bottom.

To even out the look of the black layers, I strongly suggest retaking these photographs out of the direct sun. The sunlight brightens everything and makes any tone difference glaringly obvious.

If possible, tuck your inner tunic sleeves deeper into your gauntlets. The sleeves look a bit loose and tucking them in further ought to tighten them up.

Guest kimballk

I noticed the sleeves when putting it on and am all ready working on a modification for that.

I didn't realize how bad the sun was until I posted the picts. :? (gotta love Florida afternoon sun..)

Would these be considered "show stoppers" or improvements. (and you can believe I **WILL** be finding a way to make ALL these improvements.)

That's one thing I've discovered wearing my TI... Every time I wear it, I find something to make it fit better and/or get a suggestion for an improvement. I don't know if FE has the equivalent of Emperor Level, but that's the level of costume I'm shooting for, if recognized or not (JRS doesn't, but I keep upgrading my TIE).

Thanks

Kevin

we don't have the equivalent of emperor level, however most of us strive for it anyway. and yes some of these things are show stoppers, for my eyes it's the color of the belt and the width of the fabric by the face that really needs to be fixed

^_^ Katie

Guest kimballk
we don't have the equivalent of emperor level, however most of us strive for it anyway. and yes some of these things are show stoppers, for my eyes it's the color of the belt and the width of the fabric by the face that really needs to be fixed

^_^ Katie

Messing with the mask, I learned there are magnets which attach it to the hard part of the cowl, when I connected it correctly it seems to have brought the sides in ALOT.

First I've heard about the color of the belt, what's needed there. (that could be a result of the glare from the sun). (if it's not, I'm and 1/2 way decent leather worker, so fixing it won't be a big issue).

I submitted "approval" to my GML last weekend (when I posted these). Regardless of what happens from that, I'll take new pictures this weekend and post here. I fully understand there's a LONG way between "approved" and being where I want/should be!!!!

Thanks for all the comments!

Kevin

Guest kimballk

OK, I see what you mean about the belt. in the direct light is looks brown. Fixed that easily with some black dye.

Do have a question. the "Studs" on the belt... should they be black as well (my color blind self can't really tell from the picts)

Thanks

Kevin

yes they should be black as well, like this:

106_09.jpg

^_^ Katie

PS depending on how color blind you are you might want to get a buddy to look at it (or a fellow garrison member)

Guest kimballk

Thanks... I can usually tell colors, but can't see shades...

I got the reply back from LML... LOTS of changes to make. :( Hopefully work on it this weekend and if I have the skill to make all the changes I'll resubmit soon. if not, I'll have to find someone to help make them which will mean longer.

(most of the ones that was suggested here I'd all ready made, so that helped... THANKS!!!!)

Kevin

Whatever modifications you do to the costume, let us see the pictures first. Get our input before re-submitting your pictures. We can spare you the aggravation and wasted time of costume rejection.

Whatever modifications you do to the costume, let us see the pictures first. Get our input before re-submitting your pictures. We can spare you the aggravation and wasted time of costume rejection.

this is about the best piece of advice that could have been given to anyone about any costume

^_^ Katie

Guest kimballk

OK, let's try this again.

Here are the latest set of pictures (I have the mask off pictures that I can post if needed, as well as a close up of the "ribbing" in the arm, but imageshack said that was too big to upload):

(I think you can see the layers better in this one, which was one the listed issues)

206rt.jpg

207wm.jpg

208js.jpg

210hj.jpg

211ud.jpg

213wj.jpg

215g.jpg

216wx.jpg

Hopefully these are better.

Kevin

things look pretty good, but I"ll leave the costume mentors to give you their run down. the one major thing I see is that we can see your eyes, this will have to be remedied.

^_^ Katie

Guest kimballk
things look pretty good, but I"ll leave the costume mentors to give you their run down. the one major thing I see is that we can see your eyes, this will have to be remedied.

^_^ Katie

I saw that (after I posted the pictures up, I couldn't see it on the camera screen at the time). That's an artifact of the lighting (in the right lighting you can see through my TIE and most TK buckets). I think it's an easy correct and if you look at the other pictures you can't see them.

Kevin

Sorry for the delay in review, I've been kinda distracted lately.

Suit does look much better now than it did before, but not quite there yet.

Looks like the silver paint is rubbed off of the forehead decoration, it'll need to be touched up.

Your outer tunic needs to be crossed over itself, worn like a Jedi tunic or Ninja gi. It may have slid open on it's own during the course of the pics, but we'll be looking for that cross over in the submission pics. (there should be two visible layers of wrapped tunics, I actually don't see either tunic wrapped in the pics.)

The "horns" on the sides of the mask are two wide. THey need to come in so that the sides of the cowl drop down just barely to the side of the white mask.

The inner layer on your tunic looks like it has some kind of zipper or seam running right down the center of the chest. That'll need to go. Nihilus's tunics are, as mentioned above, just like Jedi tunics or Ninja gis. They cross over one another and are held in place at the belt line.

Guest kimballk

Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. I got notified last week that my Nihilus was approved. **YAAAA*** (Now just waiting for detachment access)