• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Off-White hood

Lady K

I'm thinking about adding the off-white hood and gloves to my Mara Jade costume. I've always worn the raw silk cape and black gloves, but when I wear it at cons with a lanyard on there is so much around my neck that it bothers me (lanyard/badge, cape with clasp and goggles) I thought the hood with the goggles on my head would free up the neck area some, plus the harness would actually show for a change and the off white cloth gloves would be much cooler than the leather black ones.

What type of fabric is best for the hood? would the raw silk I used for the cape work?

Are the gloves cloth?

The hood is definitely more comfortable than having the cape pulling at your neck... I can vouch for that!

I used raw silk for my hood, and it works well. It's a nice off-white color and it has a great drape.

My gloves are off-white leather. I would advise sticking with leather, simply because it looks the most professional and appropriate for the costume. Mara wears gloves to protect her hands during missions, and fabric probably wouldn't cut it. Fabric gloves tend to look more like you're about to go work in the garden (bulky), or going to the opera (thin and stretchy). If you can find a pair of fabric gloves that give the appearance of leather they may be okay, but I wouldn't say yes offhand without seeing them first.

I always wear my lanyard hanging on the side of my belt. I loop the lanyard through the belt, and then use a pin to secure it at the halfway point, so the badge is hanging just 6 inches or so from my belt. Long enough to hold it up for security to see, but short enough to be out of the way for pictures!

Pam :-)

I have enough raw silk left over from making the cape to do the hood. I just assumed the gloves were cloth from looking at the photos. It's hard to tell from comic book pics. Ebay is probably the best bet to find off white leather glove.

Thanks for the help!

Karen

I wear this costume so often that I think I'm going to do all of the optional versions of gloves/cowls.

Just to make sure I read it all correctly:

off white hood/cowl with off white gloves-- Hood up with goggles on head, hood down where do the goggles go?

black hood/cowl with black arm bands--is the black hood ever seen up over the head or just worn as a cowl?

longer black gloves with no cape or hood--are these gloves gauntlet style or just longer gloves hitting between the wrist and elbow?

Browse through the Mara gallery, and you'll see how the outfit combinations look. There's a little link at the bottom of the gallery page to move to page two. (I'm being lazy... giving a link to the gallery is easier than linking to a dozen different pictures!)

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... =13&page=1

Pam :-)