• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus Opinion & Help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I've had this costume for a while now and just wanted some opinions and advice, I want to bring it to life and i know it's not accurate yet but lets begin the journey.

Picture296.jpg

Picture299.jpg

I'm assuming this is supposed to be COTF Nihilus. There are going to be some issues with getting this costume up to standards. This is a quick list of the things I see that need to be fixed before this would be up to par. All but the fabric on the sleeves needs to match, the sleeves are too loose and lack the quilting, the split in the skirt needs to be center front, the ears on the hood are too small, the hood needs a knot in the front, and the entire costume lacks the weathering it needs. One good thing you have is the belt/obi that looks really nice as does the mask, glove and boots and should be kept for version 2.0 of this.

Please study this picture

cotf_breakdown2.jpg

for the changes/upgrades that need to be made.

Please don't be discouraged, I really think that given the attention, this costume could really shine. ^_^

^_^ Katie

This looks like a COTF foundation to me with the separate cloak and so I'll go with that assumption.

Your enthusiasm is good here. The "ear" width is better. You still need a knot below your chin to hold the cloak closed. Looking at your pictures, I understand that your current cloak doesn't close that way. Because of this and the hood/cloak's material, it may be necessary to replace the hood/cloak in order to better match the rest of the costume.

*Your skirts need a split in the front.

*The bottom of the skirts, cloak, and outer tunic need weathering.

*The tunics should close right side over left (yours are backward in these pictures).

*I don't see quilting on the sleeves.

*Your sleeves look a bit baggy. Maybe tucking them into your gloves will help but they'll still look loose.

*Your gloves need to sit outside of the sleeve openings. We should see the flare of the gauntlets.

*Your hood/cloak material looks shinier than the rest of the costume. It should all be the same fabric, although the sleeves can differ slightly.

The belt and obi are looking good.

Getting the hood to drape correctly is a challenge for every Darth Nihilus. We're forced to make the fabric drape unnaturally for this costume and so it takes experimentation to make it look correct. Your latest photo is an improvement here. Try to get the sides of the hood to drape vertically in order to create a boxed shape around your face. I can still tell that the hood's fabric differs from the rest of the costume, though.

Guest Anonymous

Cool thanks for the tips, I will take better pictures of the costume parts in the sunlight plus I'am also considering getting more material and redoing as the others have said cloak/hood

the tunic is a jedi costume top, I plan to remove sleeves and get quilted type sleeves made and added.

But as I said i want to take my time and get it right plus learn to sew as well. :D

Guest Anonymous

The horns look much better. Also, do not neglect the "bump" on the back of the head as well. It is easy to assume the hood goes straight down on the back of your head, but check the references as it does not.

A couple of things... first, more weathering! That's a big thing. It needs fraying, some holes, and a bit of shredding at the bottom edges. This costume is too tidy.

And second, I think I'm seeing tag ends on your cloak knot. Sew them to the back of the knot and hide them.

Twin Roses Designs does fantastic work in all things. Though I admit that I'm not familiar with Andrea's Nihilus. I've commissioned various things from her over the years.. cloaks, a custom Jedi set, and a Santa Claus suit. Be warned that her work isn't cheap and that it isn't fast. She's a true professional and she takes her time to get things right once it's your turn in her queue.

If you're going for the Twin Roses Nihilus, I suggest two things...

First, ask Andrea to add multiple pleats to the front panels of the outer tunic. Her current photos don't have the pleats but they are obvious in the COTF artwork.

and second, The width of the obi is dependent upon the width of your belt. Her obi is pretty wide but without a belt I can't judge its width properly. For her sake, the obi should be two inches (5 centimeters) wider than the width of your belt.

* I bought my belt here: http://www.corellianimports.com/darth-nihilus-belt.htm (in case you aren't making it yourself).