• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Another Nihilus

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello peeps,

I'm wanting to do a Darth Nihlius and would like pointers on where to start....I"m guessing the mask is one of the first things one should try and get? I've costumed before and have a pretty bad ass ESB Boba Fett that is 501st approved.

I've been going thru the threads and doing some research but what is the main difference between the versions and what exactly are two versions? :)

Well, the place to start is going to be, which version of Nihilus do you want to do?

Champions of the Force (CotF) is the more commonly done version of Nihilus. It's the version depicted in most of the various paintings and artwork of the character, as well as the action figure and miniature. This is the worn and tattered version.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 (KOTOR2) is what we see in the game. It's a much more sleek and clean version.

There's really no "main difference" between the two versions as they're completely different costumes.

Once you've decided on which version you'd like to tackle, we can give more advice and info.

Hello peeps,

I'm wanting to do a Darth Nihlius and would like pointers on where to start....I"m guessing the mask is one of the first things one should try and get? I've costumed before and have a pretty bad ass ESB Boba Fett that is 501st approved.

I've been going thru the threads and doing some research but what is the main difference between the versions and what exactly are two versions? :)

I actually did a bit more researching and I kinda like the CoTF version better, more tattered and torn...

:-)

My preferred version as well. :-)

For the CotF version, here's my recommendations for where to start.

1. You're going to need a LOT of fabric. This Nihilus wear's multiple layers of tunic (like the Prequel era Jedi) plus two full length skirts, plus the full length cape and hood, and the obi. I'm partial to black raw silk (or silk noil) which we got from Dharma Trading Co. for mine. (took pretty much 2 full bolts) Additionally, you'll need some other fabric to make the quilted sleeves, try to avoid anything very shiny though. (we just used plain old cotton broadcloth for mine with quilting batting sewn in for the ridges)

2. Mask, there are a few ways to go for a mask these days.

I know there are a couple available from various ebay sellers, and then, I make one.

3. Hood shape,

I'll be honest, other than the fiberglass crown piece that Pam and I make available on occassion, I've not seen any truely well shaped hood support pieces up for sale. There've been some very nicely done individual efforts, but nothing for sale.

3. Boots,

Just some nice simple black laceless boots.

4. Gloves,

Motorcycle gauntlets without decoration. I think you can find some good recommendation links for gloves here on the forums.

5. Belt,

Almost like a prequel Jedi belt, has the two stacked belts with the studs, but no buckle at all.

Saber...

I'm really not sure if there's anyone out there really making a decent CotF Nihilus saber these days.

I'm sure that everything is here on the forums, but I've also got a site with Nihilus construction info at http://www.chucrew.com

for someone between 6' and 6'5" you'll need about 22 yards of fabric, we also used the silk noil from Dharma for my hubby's Nihilus (which is still on hold due to belt issues) it's the best price for this type of fabric. it's the mask/hood part that's the most difficult part of this build, you basically have to defy the laws of physics and gravity with fabric >.<

Good luck with this build, done correctly it's very intimidating ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info peeps...I'm 6'3" and I look pretty intemidating in my Fett so I like the idea of Nihilus but I'm also playing around with doing Revan now...choices, choices. :)

Guest Anonymous

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the saber issue for Nihilus/Revan, or whichever one you decide to do. Amptrooper(just resigned as XO of the Georgia Garrison, moving to Indiana/Bloodfin Garrison next month) offers custom lightsabers. Not sure what his prices are, but I bet that if supplied with enough reference photos, that he could get the job done. He can be contacted at the following email address: Amptrooper@yahoo.com

Hope this helps!