• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Aussie Mara

Guest Melly

Hi all,

My name is Melissa and I'm from Adelaide, Australia. I'm new here and was just wondering if people could have a look at my Mara costume and let me know if they think it could meet approval? I have been dragged into this world (although maybe not totally unwillingly) by my partner who has a Stormtrooper and 181st Tie Pilot costume completed. This will be my first approved costume, if it makes the cut, but I scarily already have a few more in mind included one I just spotted on here of Mara's Emperors Hand outfit. :D

I purchased the complete costume from a retiring member of The Great Lakes Garrison, and I think I just need to do a little tweaking. These pictures were basically taken when it arrived here. I have already changed the holster so that it sits on the belt and the 'v' straps meet at the base of the blaster. Am also getting a back holster for the hold out blaster made up, just because I like the look of it. :)

I do also have gloves and boots and the knee/shin guards are just cut off in the pictures.

Anyway I would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

th_P4250092.jpg

th_P4250090.jpg

th_IMG_0055.jpg

Welcome to the Flagship forum, and to the wonderful addiction known as Star Wars costuming. (Now that you've started down the costuming path, forever will it dominate your destiny! :-D)

Could you take some pictures to show us the changes that you've made to the costume and it's accessories, and with everything being worn in the photo? That way we can give you a critique of the complete current look.

Is the cape pink, or tan? In one picture it looks pink-ish, and in the other it seems tan, so I can't tell what color it truly is. Lighting tends to do things like that to fabric. It should be tan. If it's pink, you'll need to remake the cape. (One Decipher photograph of Mara used violet stage lights, which reflected off of her tan cape and made a lot of girls misinterpret her cape as being pink or violet instead of tan.)

Pam :-)

Wow. thanks for the quick replies.

@ Pam - I can definitely try and get another picture done, I might try and get it taken outside with natural lighting, hopefully that will help with the colors and details. Just need to wait for the weather to clear up a bit, so there is some actual sunlight.

The cape is tan... umm.. kind of like a brown egg? (I'm not sure how to describe it, but it it tan not pink :) )

@ Mira - no sorry wasn't my partner, unless he snuck over to the states without me. :x haha

Hi Again!

Sorry I've taken so long to post up new pictures, I've been crazy busy. :(

Here they are, pics taken outside as requested, and wearing everything. Hopefully it is all clear enough. I would really like to try and get this approved as soon as possible so any and all feedback is welcome and much appreciated. :D

th_PA060136.jpg

th_PA060133.jpg

th_PA060132.jpg

th_PA060131.jpg

th_PA060135.jpg

th_PA060127.jpg

Much better pictures, thank you!

The cape color looks perfect, clasp is good. The jumpsuit has a bit of a low neckline, but it's within the tolerable range. Shin guards and boots are acceptable, as are the goggles and the gloves. I'm not sure about the shoulder harness. A few slipped through in the past with the wrong back piece, and this looks like one of them. I am not certain if that will be approved. The LMOs might accept it if you tell them that you're planning to wear the cape at all times, so the back piece won't be visible... but they may very well tell you that it needs to be correct anyway. It's not an empty ring in the back, it's a solid piece:

normal_BackHarnessHolster.jpg

108_06.jpg

I would suggest giving the leather pieces a bit more TLC if you can, perhaps with a light tan dye or finishing treatment. The dye job seems a bit red and splotchy, so if you can tone down the red and make it look more even, you'll find that the leather pieces will look more professional. Of course, if the leather has been sealed, then the look may be permanent. Making sure that the cut edges of the leather are edge treated will help, too, if they're looking rough.

You will need Mara's signature red hair, either by coloring yours or wearing a wig.

You're well on your way (and you're in trouble now... this costuming stuff will get more addictive the more you work on it!)

Hi,

Thanks again for the quick reply. We were interstate for Armageddon so I have only just been able to get back on here.

I will pick up some tan dye or something tomorrow and see what I can do with that, thanks for the suggestion. I do intend to wear the cape at all times with the costume (as it a little thin back there for my liking, I have been assured nothing can be seen though lol) so I don't think you should see the ring, I might see if they'll accept that or not for now... But I will get it remade correctly, and redo the suit eventually too. (just need to find the right fabric and pattern, and spare cash, for that)

I have picked up a basic wig to which I think works, I will update this as well when I have some spare cash.

Yes.. I can already see this is going to be a very pricey and dangerous hobby, I already have ideas to do the Emperors Hand robe and vest costume on here, and Daala flight suit, and maybe a fem-ti pilot.. I'm too scared to look at other things now! haha :wink:

I will try and scrounge up a pic from Armageddon, where I gave this a test run, so you can see the wig as well, just waiting to find a decent shot posted up somewhere. :)

I managed to just miss you! My Mara was there though worn by my cohort Angela :) I was in in Imp Officer grey for a short while and then in Shae Vizla :)

I did see a photo of you though from the shoot :)

Hi,

I did hear there was another Mara around on the Saturday... Us girls were having a little shopping expedition that day so I didn't see you, I was only there on the Sunday :)

Here is a pic I've grabbed from one of the troopers to show the wig and everything in some nice sunshine!

th_296054_248334415216290_100001191993445_670096_617442899_n.jpg

th_311858_10150356351358612_647078611_8431047_1406472752_n.jpg

After talking to our mate who did the leather for me, we think we will just redo it all from scratch again. The main reddish part that I thing you noticed Pam is the holster? this is from the original costume and is sealed :( so we will start from scratch and get it all matched properly. Just means another delay unfortunately. But also means we will get the back piece all made up properly at the same time.

He he.... starting from scratch! The best way to go, in my opinion. I've built and rebuilt so many costume pieces over the years... and they get better every time. It's all about learning the techniques, and applying what you learn! (And it gives you an excuse to keep working on the costumes long after they're "finished" the first time through!)

I'm glad to hear that you're going to rebuild the shoulder harness. "Kinda sorta similar" just doesn't suit the 501st mentality that I love so much. Keep striving to make the costume the best that you can make it. And, even more importantly, make it Yours!

Yes, the holster was what caught my eye the most, but in general it's the super-red color and roughness of the dye overall. Be sure to test your leather dye on a scrap of the same leather first, and let it dry, to make sure that it's really the color that you want. (The color of the leather makes a big difference on how the dye will look once it's dry.) And, be sure to work on damp leather when you apply the dye... that'll help the color go on evenly.

Happy costuming!

Guest Melly

Just thought I'd say I haven't given up on this one just yet. But my suit has had a bit of wear and has torn and peeled a bit, so am back to square one and have to re make the suit as well the leather work. So will have to hunt up some fabric I can get in Australia, and start again. :(