• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Another Nihilus, need another set of eyes....

Guest darth dad

This Nihilus is a custom. :) It doesn't look precisely like COTF or KOTOR. The cloak confuses me as there's no central knot or scarf-like underhang. I think that I see some weathering here and so I'm assuming it's a COTF Nihilus. In which case, weather some more. It's not nearly enough. If this is a COTF Nihilus, your cloak needs to be held closed with a knot directly underneath your chin.

There's some shiny fabric here in the obi. The standards require that the costume consist of the same fabric throughout but this part is not the same fabric as the rest of the costume. The quilted sleeves are different, too, but that's alright since the standards specify the use of "a smoother fabric than the rest of the costume." The quilting looks good!

The cloak needs to rest up on your shoulders when you're standing so that we can see the sleeves. Simple hook and eye closures sewn into the outer tunic shoulders and the underside of the cloak can hold things in place.

The hang of the hood looks a bit sloppy to me. The forward edge of the hood needs to tuck up and under at the top of the mask. The sides of the hood ought to hang parallel to the sides of the mask but not rest on it. there should be a gap of around a centimeter or so between the sides of the mask and the sides of the hood.

If possible, we'd appreciate pictures in better light. These photos are very dark and I'm straining to see details. Particularly in the skirts.

With your tabard-like outer tunic and a split skirt it looks like you're closer to COTF. No matter which way you go, I suggest replacing the obi with a better-matching fabric. And I think that the hood/cloak needs to be redone or replaced. I can see the cloak's closure but it looks like neither COTF or KOTOR. Read through the costumes standards listed at the top of the Nihilus forum and the photos within will reveal every detail and difference between the two versions of this character. The cloak closure, the drape of the hood, and the outer tunic are the big differences between the two versions.

it currently looks like a mash-up between KOTOR and COTF Nihilus, my main bit of advice would be decide which one you want to go with then determine what you need to change with your current costume to get it to standards. Take Atavistic's advice and read through the CRL's

Well,

There's not really a easy way to say this but, you've got a lot of work to do with this one to bring it to 501st standards.

The existing hooded cape isn't going to work. You'll need to rebuild that so that the cape can be pulled forward over the shoulders to tie into a knot.

"Horns": Far from the worst treatment I've seen for these, they just need to be lowered moved out to the sides of the head a bit. The horns should basically create a boxy shape where the top forehead ornament just touches the top of the box. The fabric of the cowl should then create the sides of the box.

Mask needs some paint touch ups, most noticable around the nose there's white paint out into what should be the blacked out face.

The fabric around your neck needs to be tightened up so that it's not hanging so loosely.

Tunics: Nihilus doesn't wear tabards. He wears two layers of tunics done in the same style as the Jedi tunics in the prequels, like a martial arts gi. Under them would either be the shirt with sleeves or, as many of us have done, the ribbed sleeves are sewn inside the arm holes of the innermost tunic to fake it.

Sleeves: The quilting on the sleeves looks good, but the fabric is just too shiny.

Gloves: Need a shorter gauntlet, they should reach your mid forearm, the current ones look to reach your elbow.

Obi: As mentioned previously, needs to be made of fabric to match the tunics.

Belt: Is missing.

Skirts: The picture is pretty grainy at the bottom edge, so I can't really tell what I'm seeing there, but make sure that there are 2 seperate skirt layers, the outer one should have a slit that goes all the way to the belt line.

Boots look fine.

Sorry if it feels like I'm ripping your costume apart. But I'd rather give you everything right off the bat instead of just giving you one or two suggestions at a time.