• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj Ventress AOTC Concept Build

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey there,

My boyfriend is in the process of making a Tie Pilot costume and I'd like to get in on the action and make a costume so I can be with him on troops etc. I've only ever seen the starwars movies and nothing 'expanded universe'. Originally my BF showed me Imperial Officer costumes, but they were a little bit plain for my personal tastes.. He also showed me Ysanne Isard and Juno Eclipse costumes but I found Asajj Ventress to be my favourite overall.. I see my sadistic self in her. :twisted:

Anyway, I've decided that I want to go with Asajj Ventress AOTC concept.. It seems like a big challenge for my first ever costume but I'm up for it. ;P

I've lurked around on the forums for a couple of days so I've done a little bit of reading and know what the hardest things are and I've decided to get what appears to be the most difficult thing out of the way for me which is the collar. I've also decided to use thick pleather (which explains the slits aound the neck for expansion) for my material to make it appear like less of a costume and more of a suit of armour.. So far I've only got the basic shape of the torso part of the collar set at the moment:

LeatherCollar-Back.jpg

LeatherCollar-Front.jpg

Of course in time I will add the high neck but for now im trying to find the shape over my shoulders as the manequin seems to have a quite a thick set structure so it's hard to base the rigid neck off. After I have completed this part, it will be my base and I will add separate layers of leather to not only achieve the bound appearance but to cover the seams (hopefully) that circle my neck and run along my shoulders. I am aming for the design that reaches the curve of my shoulders rather than sculpted to the outer sides for simplicity. Please note the sides have 1inch turning which makes it appear larger than it will be finished.

Any thoughts? :)

Glad to have move Ventri :) If I can assist with anything feel free and ask.

For me the collar was one of the trickier parts. I remade it a couple times till I got it the way I wanted it. It looks nice, my main concern with a vinyl base is that it may be very stiff. Will there be a closure on the back so you can put it on and off?

Very best of luck with it, glad to have you here.

Guest Anonymous
Glad to have move Ventri :) If I can assist with anything feel free and ask.

For me the collar was one of the trickier parts. I remade it a couple times till I got it the way I wanted it. It looks nice, my main concern with a vinyl base is that it may be very stiff. Will there be a closure on the back so you can put it on and off?

Very best of luck with it, glad to have you here.

I plan to sew in an invisible zip along the centre of the back =D Btw I find your threads all quite helpful and inspitational. I agree the collar did look like a challenge but im taking it slow and altering each section as I make it so I dont find the whole thing is slightly off at the end. It does help having the mannequin for it alot as a still kanvas. I see your point on the stiffness. I'm going to wait until I have the neck completely sewn on so I can pin it at the back and try it out and see how it reacts before I add the strips. I will reasses it before I move on and plan to get some opinions too. I should to be at this stage by the end of the weekend.

Guest Anonymous

Below are some pictures of my progress. I still havent hemmed it so the length on my shoulders is too wide and the edges are a bit daggy. In the pictures its not sitting perfectly against me but at the time I didnt have any pins to hold it with - It's just sitting there of its own will. In general though it is pretty well fitting. I have the next two days up my sleeve to fiddle with it and find the zip =D Then I can start the outer layers. I will repost some pictures then to show how it sits.

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

Guest Anonymous

It's starting to look the part! I got really enthused last night and from 5:30 through to midnight I sat there working on the binding at the front. I haven't done around the neck just yet though. I want to adjust the height a little. As the material wont fray I haven't hemmed the ends on my shoulder. Instead I'm going to cover the with neat seams from the back binds. Im also reconsidering a more sturdy metal zipper that completely comes apart, rather than the flimsy hidden zip. I was going to cover it completely with the binding which meets flush in the middle anyway, at least then it wont fall apart in 20 minutes. I'm happy with the way it sits on my shoulders. It does need valcro, but I will get to that in due time.

DSC_0428-1.jpg