• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Caedus WiP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've decided I want to do a Caedus costume. It's not a Legion approved costume, but I want to do it regardless (though there is a precedent for that sort of thing with Brakiss).

There are 5 canon pictures I've been able to find.

At Mara's Funeral, from Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Caedus_Mara-funeral.jpg

Portrait from The Essential Atlas

Caedus-Essential_Atlas.jpg

A Star Wars Galaxy 6 sketch card by Steven Miller

1299034819.jpg

A Star Wars Galaxy 7 sketch card by Scott Zambelli

1331390069.jpg

I'm going to do a Caedus that's not all the way turned, with brown eyes and a green saber blade; as opposed to the full Sith Caedus, with the Sith eyes and a red blade.

I think I have worked out everything I'll need:

Tunic W/mandarin collar

Black Jedi tabard, knee length

Black pants (an off the shelf pair of slacks)

Jackboots (which I already have)

Chest Armor

Vader style surcoat

Vader style Robe

Belt & buckle

Vader style Gloves

Lightsaber, Vader style

Wig

For soft parts, there is a great seamstress up here in Garrison Titan, and I can do the saber myself.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the armor, belt buckle or the wig though...

Guest Anonymous

Direct quotations from the ESB Vader CRL, for the relevant pieces.

If I don't find patterns, then these will be the basic guidelines I will follow.

Cape: Black, three-quarter circle, floor length in a wool or wool equivalent and lined with satin. The collar is black leather or leather-like material between one to one and half inches wide. An oblong-linked chain holds the cape closed. A two inch hem strip lines the bottom edge of the cape, alternatively, the lining of the cape may hang two inches below the bottom edge of the outer fabric of the cape.

Gloves: Black leather or leather-like material, mid-forearm in length. The upper surface is quilted in lines running parallel with the arm.

Surcoat: Ankle length black wool or fabric with an equivalent appearance and weight. The surcoat has open seams long the sides running from the waist to the floor. The garment is gathered in three pleats from the shoulder area on each side of the chest extending to the waist. The surcoat is worn over the codpiece, and under the chest armor and belt.

Guest Anonymous

Shirt/Tunic: Since it's covered with armor, all it looks to need is to be black, long sleeved, with an Mandarin collar, and no visible closures.

Tabards: I could sew them directly to the shirt, or connect to the armor with snaps.

Belt: I'm probably going to make in the style of an Imp belt, and attach something to the buckle (I'm not sure what, sintra maybe)

Surcoat: Made in the Vader style

Cape: Vader style, but It's going to be attached to the surcoat (probably with snaps, so is it gets snagged, nothing rips)

Gloves: Likely going to be bought from Custom Props

Pants: I ordered a pair of regular, off the shelf slacks, I think those should work

Boots: Using my Nazi era Jackboots I already have

Lightsaber: I'm going to get a ForceFX Vader, and mod it with a green blade with parts from TCSS

Armor: I'll have to have this custom made (I'm thinking .090 black ABS), I'll have to look around for someone to do this for me. Does anyone know someone who does that kind of stuff?

Wig: I have no idea what I'm going to do for this. Ideas?

and since Caedus doesn't get Sith eyes until half way through Revelation I don't have to wear red/gold contacts.

So thoughts on my plan?

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I posted some thoughts on the SL board, but I'll add some things here if you don't mind. I just finished that series a couple weeks ago, so its still pretty fresh in my memory.

On the eyes, he did not have permanently altered eyes. In the novel they only went "sithy" when he was angry and appeared normal most of the time.

Many places in the series it is said that his dress resembled his grandfather's so you are definitely on track with the surcoat and cape. Cape attachment seems to be confused by the few depictions I've seen, they seem to be painted as attached differently.

Even though Jaina cut his arm off, If I recall correctly he had it reattached not replaced with a cybernetic arm?

Although I've seen no visual depictions, he wears the GAG battle helmet from time to time (no idea what that looks like) but it was remarked in the books to make him look even more like Vader.

I think you are on track with the belt too. Looks like a standard belt but with the 'V' pattern in the buckle to match the 'V' patterned chest armor. But, its difficult to tell if the painting is meant to portray the buckle as matching the armor(black) or if its metalic with a black 'V'. The same colors are used on the armor, which is known to be black.

Can't wait to see it. Some did not like the series so much, but I thought it was a fun read. Darth Caedus was not what I'd hoped and his reign was too short for my taste, but I'm just sick that way :)

188767_10150154211069623_633079622_8132322_7220294_n.jpg

Here was a young gentleman's attempt at Star Wars Celebration V.

I think the miniature adds nice turn-around detail that I'd personally like to see observed in the costume for Legion consideration;

ba95372e18d644cc.jpg

4303040664_aa6448bc3d.jpg

There are many sketchy references to be found showing just the Jacen's angst ridden face and bit of his breast plate--the rest hidden by a cloak. The full costume should be made in consideration of available full reference.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

I've chosen not to use the mini as a reference because it doesn't look much like the other pics of Caedus. It appears the mini is him in GAG battle armor, as opposed to him in his Sith robes, which is what I'm doing.

Guest Anonymous

I'm making good progress, I sill have a couple of issues: I still need to find gloves and a wig.

What do people think of Custom Props' gloves? And where can I find a wig?

Guest Anonymous

The armor plate, made from sintra, it turned out better than I expected. :)

Armor.jpg

Surcoat, made from a black Jedi robe I had laying around.

surcoat.jpg

My West German jackboots.

Boots.jpg

The belt, with the tabards attached to the inside with snaps.

belt.jpg

Close up on the belt buckle.

Buckle.jpg

I also have off-the-shelf pants and shirt.

I am currently hemming the cape; and I've ordered a wig and a pair of Vader gloves.

And I'll be starting on the lightsaber soon.

Guest Anonymous

Preliminary pic of me kit.

I need to get the wrinkles out of the cape. And I'm going to shorten the armor a bit, and maybe put a neck strap around the armor to keep it up better. But other then that it is pretty much done!

P1010253.jpg

P1010255.jpg

P1010256.jpg

P1010257.jpg

P1010259.jpg

P1010262.jpg

Guest Anonymous

My first test troop. The only real problem I see in this pic is the collar of the shirt, what do you all think?

DSC_0108.jpg

I'll have some more pics of the (hopefully) final version in a couple weeks. :D

You make me so confused.....

I hate Hate HATE HATE Caedus.... but you're such a nice guy... I can't decide if I should hate you when you're dressed as Caedus, or maybe just glower in your general direction when you're in that costume! :-D

You're welcome to try submitting the costume for approval, but I feel confident in saying that the Legion Membership Officers would defer the costume because of your armor. 501st armor needs to appear sculpted and quite professional, and in general the only armor made of Sintra that I've seen approved is Fett armor, since it just has a very slight curve, and no layers. Just as Darth Vader would never be approved with Sintra armor, I don't think Darth Caedus would be approved, either. Another new to the legion costume was just deferred recently for non-sculpted sintra armor, so I know that it is something that they watch for. They may also defer the belt buckle, since the only reference shows the buckle having a slight V shape that echos the shape of the chest armor.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Update!

A garrison-mate has a vacuform machine, So i'm making a vacuform mold for better armor.

I also replaced the saber with one more accurate to Jacen's original.