• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihl

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello to everyone :)!

My name's Neinel, I'm from Germany. Me and some of my friends are working on some Legacy costumes for a big Legacy-cosplay group we're planning. Me and my girlfriend Malincha are thinking about if it could be worth a try to apply to the 501st with our Darth Nihl and Darth Maladi costumes, maybe you guys can give us a little help? After reading a while in this nice forum we decided to join it too ;).

I'm doing Darth Nihl, together with a very talented friend who helps me creating the armor parts. The cos is still work in progress, but it will be finished this week, maybe the first pics of the full version (including bodypaint) will be on during next sunday.

Here are some pictures of the parts that are nearly finished:

(PS: Excuse me. if I made some mistakes with my english)

The chest armor, nearly finished:

35361131358570239177100.th.jpg

From behind:

35361131358573572510100.th.jpg

The belt, not finished, first version without colour:

41208137733752934992100.th.jpg

References I used for the chest armor, the belt, the spear and the part with the "white ripps" (pics of the last two coming soon):

referenz.th.jpg

referenz2.th.jpg

The bracer, finished version:

44420137734702934897100.th.jpg

Ref for the bracer:

referenz1.th.jpg

The skirt, finished:

skirtm.th.jpg

Ref for the skirt:

darthnihl.th.jpg

I would be glad about reading your assesssments :) !

Many greetings from Germany

Neinel

Guest Daritha
Me and some of my friends are working on some Legacy costumes for a big Legacy-cosplay group we're planning.
*wave* Hello, nice to meet you all. I'm some friend. ^^

I'm looking forward to see everything pieced - well, and painted - together. Your Nihl is gonna look fabulous. I'm sure of it! 8)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Daritha, Mr. Hett and Drago! All of you three are great costumer ;)!

Here are the first pics of the very first Darth Nihl costume test. That means this is the first version, not the final, many things have to be reworked. The white rips, for example- that's what I'll do first.

On that costume test- day everything went wrong! Our airbrush broke, we had no more sponges in the house, I had to improvise and put on the bodypaintcolour with a small brush and my own fingers- that's definitely gonna be different next time XD!

I'm curious what you think about that first try :)!

46931140586599316374100.jpg

46931140586602649707100.jpg

46931140586612649706100.jpg

46931140586609316373100.jpg

46931140586615983039100.jpg

Guest A'Sharad Hett

The white rips, for example- that's what I'll do first.

I'm curious what you think about that first try :)!

Well, the "ribs" have to be done, but the whole costume "feels" very Nihil, I love it.

I've a question, in the first pic, is that a magic wand you're holding? :mrgreen:

Guest Anonymous

Well, the "ribs" have to be done, but the whole costume "feels" very Nihil, I love it.

I've a question, in the first pic, is that a magic wand you're holding? :mrgreen:

-- Concerning your question XD: This is the smaller prototyp model for the spear ^^! But you're right in this version, it looks like a magic wand *lol!

We're working on the ribs right now ^^.

Guest CAndyman

First off let me say that this is the best Nihl I have seen so far so kudos to you on your attention to detail. The areas I could recommend revision on would be the ribs,they look a little loose-fitting and not quite rigid. The leather-straps of the skirt look slightly long (though that's an easy fix) and some of the details that are black should be grey or off-black like charcoal or something. But as was previously posted it definitely "feels" like Nihl and I would've recognized the costume immediately had I first seen it in person.

The shoulder and chest armor as well as the wig are fantastic and easily the best I've seen yet. I'm working on this project as well and I know how challenging getting these details to transfer from page to prop can be.

I do have a question if I may ask, what are you using for the red jewel-like fixtures in the chest and back-plate armor? I've tried a couple of things and so-far I am not happy with my results. Thanks Brother, and again Well done! :D

Ps. I will post a thread on my build once I get it to a wearable state. 8)

Guest CAndyman

Thanks Brother, and again Well done! :D

She's a sister, actually ;)

I should really know better than to assume by now shouldn't I? :lol:

Thanks for the correction. 8)

Guest Daritha

I don't know anything to add that I didn't told you in person. So just: Awesome work, keep going. We're gonna rock Tawula this weekend! *headbang*

The shoulder and chest armor as well as the wig are fantastic and easily the best I've seen yet
It's her real hair, actually. ^^

Guest Anonymous

@Candyman I have no problem with that you first thought I am a boy ;D- that shows me that the transformation with costume functions ;)! And yeah, it's my real hair.

Of course you may ask :)!

The chest plate was made of two layers of Thermoplastics. I cut the forms for the "jewell like fixtures" out of the first layer and put the other layer under the first, then fixed it with hot glue, after that coloured these spots red with airbrush, also did some shades with a darker colour in it.

I hope I could help you ;).

@Daritha: Yes, we'll rock Tawula! That's gonna be NIhl's first mission outwards ;D!

Greetz to all of you

Neinel

Guest CAndyman
@Candyman I have no problem with that you first thought I am a boy ;D- that shows me that the transformation with costume functions ;)! And yeah, it's my real hair.

Of course you may ask :)!

The chest plate was made of two layers of Thermoplastics. I cut the forms for the "jewell like fixtures" out of the first layer and put the other layer under the first, then fixed it with hot glue, after that coloured these spots red with airbrush, also did some shades with a darker colour in it.

I hope I could help you ;).

@Daritha: Yes, we'll rock Tawula! That's gonna be NIhl's first mission outwards ;D!

Greetz to all of you

Neinel

Thank you! I would LOVE to get a look at some larger versions of the images you posted of the armor if you have a link. :D

Guest Anonymous

Thank you Darth Crane :)!

@Candyman: Here is a larger version from the chest-armor- pics. I have to make new, better pictures urgently. This version of the chest plates is the one, before the shades were put on them, with the airbrush. I'll make some better pics this weekend, I promise ;)!

darthnihlpanzer.jpg

darthnihlpanzer1.jpg

Guest CAndyman
Thank you Darth Crane :)!

@Candyman: Here is a larger version from the chest-armor- pics. I have to make new, better pictures urgently. This version of the chest plates is the one, before the shades were put on them, with the airbrush. I'll make some better pics this weekend, I promise ;)!

You ROCK! Thank you! I much prefer this version of the back-plate to the rib-cage version I was planning on doing I think I will probably do this version as well, the rib-cage version looks like it would work better on-the-page than in a real physical form.

Guest CAndyman

Look what I just saw posted on Facebook...

swlgg__group_shot_by_daritha-d2y5pwf.jpg

Looks great! 8)

I can't wait to get my project completed enough to get some pics posted and get your opinions. :D

Guest CAndyman
That's my work, actually. ;)

And, maybe, if someone (anyone) would check my IK build thread, one would have found named picture a bit earlier. ;P

Anyway: We rocked! I simply loved every of our costumes. :)

That IK looks fantastic! I do want to build one of those at some point but I really wanted to start with something I could reasonably build myself and the IK seemed slightly ambitious for my first scratch-build. If/when I get around to it though I may have some questions for you too. :)

Guest Anonymous

@Candyman: You're on Facebook? You can add me if you want to, name: Neinel Zharann ;).

Here are some other pics from Nihl's first outwards mission. If you want to see some more, let me know ;).

It was hot on that day, the airbrush-bodypaint fit very well, but after six or seven hours it melt a little bit, please excuse if this is visible on the pics.

We start reworking the ribs right now and after that I'll try to get some better pics of the costume (unfortunately I didn't find a good photographer by now). When the ribs are modifed, I'll start a try and present that version of Dath NIhl to our local Garrison.

Guest CAndyman

Friend-request sent! 8)

file.php?id=76

I love the ears! I had been trying to decide if the tipped ears were something I could do without looking too cheesey but I am very enthusiastic about how good your's look. Might I ask where you got them, or if you made them? Also the make-up looks flawless do you use Ben Nye make-up or is that air-brush paint on your face as well? :D

Guest Anonymous

I bought the ears in a Live-roleplay-shop here in Germany. The bodypainting is made with airbrush, I used water based colours, a german brand, than fixed it with a special spray. It lasts very good, but on the places like under the shoulders and under the eyes, where the body gets wet sometimes, it melt a bit after 3 hours.

Let me mention that the bodypainting of Maladi and Nihl took a looooong time- but I guess we'll get faster, when we'll get used to that procedure.

Have a nice day!

Neinel

Guest CAndyman

I thought about buying one of those mask-blanks like this...

jabbawockeez_mask.jpg

And cutting it in two pieces to make a painting-template of sorts, has anyone tried this before, and if so does it work?

I would suggest checking the Darth Maul forum in the Sith Lords Detachment. They often use stencils when they paint Maul's tattoo patterns on their faces, and they might have some good suggestions or tutorials over there.

Pam :-)

Guest CAndyman
I would suggest checking the Darth Maul forum in the Sith Lords Detachment. They often use stencils when they paint Maul's tattoo patterns on their faces, and they might have some good suggestions or tutorials over there.

Pam :-)

Fantastic idea, thanks Pam! :D