• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Why do you Dress up as a Star Wars Character.

Guest Orsan

Guest Orsan

Hey,

I am thinking about writing something about this in the future, and I will be asking the same question to several other groups I am in that share your enthusiasm with the Star Wars Saga.

So, the question is?

Why do you Dress Up as a Star Wars Character?

I guess I should go first.

When I started with a home made Mandalorian Armor, I just did it for fun and because I like Star Wars, but after some time, I found something else, a group of friends from all over the world, a way to bring happiness to other people, like children and some others not so young.

For me it is always another way to share with my kids, since they love the saga and we dress up together. And it provides a escape from the day to day things.

When I kid gives you a hug at a convention or at a hospital or at any event we participate, that is life changing, because in their little eyes, you are that character that they love so much, or that Star Wars character they just learned it existed, and ask you questions such as, where is your spaceship? or, do you work for Lord Vader, or, would you like to come home with me?

So, I guess I do this because it opens doors to do some other things that I would not be able to do if I was not part of this awesome group of people.

Thanks for having me.

And, May The Force Be With You.

Guest Daritha

It started in 2005 when I first met fellow fans. I said that they never get me into a Star Wars costume. But I was kind of lying since I played Jedi when I was younger. Maybe I was ashame to announce this, then. However, in 2007 I got the courage to make my first costume. With Jedi-Con the next year I wanted to wear a Jedi and so it's started. Albeit my robe, everything was a mess. But I was hooked. I liked the costuming and parading. And when I walked through a corridor, with my robe blowing in the wind, I thought: This is so cool. I flashed my childhood, when I played Jedi with my friends, just with a quilt and a stick.

That was my initial hook-up for Costuming. Later, I met all the great people and got involved in the Legions and never wanted to leave there. Hell, I even met my girlfriend through costuming! It was at the costume contest during this year's Jedi-Con. We acquainted backstage and kept the contact. I was Starkiller, she war Guri. And she's a great and fantastic girl!

mine's kinda complicated and long:

I got into Star Wars thanks to my dad when I was a kid (he says he created a monster)

I got into costuming thanks to my mom who would make me a halloween costume every year. When she died, I used the complete focus I seemed to have while sewing to get my mind off of her death (I still seem to use it to that end).

I dress up in other costumes, from Video Games like Assassin's Creed to comic books characters like Deadpool and Rorschach, but thanks to the existence of the 501st - an actual group devoted to the creation of costumes from Star Wars, it ended up taking most of my time.

When I first submitted for the 501st, I did so with a Nihilus that was really subpar. Looking back, Thomas was really nice about it, but at the time I was disheartened and upset, and I changed costume plans repeatedly until I ended up with the most basic tusken you can imagine and joined in 2007. Since then, (and thankfully) I have updated my Tusken and my Nihilus to meet the 501st standards that I once loathed, and now love.

I do notice now when I do non Star Wars costumes that I really long for the constructive criticism I can get within the Star Wars community. I still turn to my local squad for opinions on my other costumes when I have the chance.

I didn't know that Star Wars existed until high school. We didn't have a TV when I was little, and my parents rarely went to the movies... so all I saw was Annie and Bambi. When we eventually got a TV, it had three channels and to make them come in we had to run outside and turn the antenna pole by hand. We quickly got addicted to the 80's cartoons, though, and before long we knew exactly which way to turn that antenna so my brother could get his weekly dose of Thundarr and Transformers, while I was addicted to GI Joe and the Mutant Ninja Turtles. It'll always be fun to remember standing out there in the yard, turning the antenna pole while someone stood inside by the TV yelling, "A little bit further! More! No, wait! Go back! You had it! Right there! Stop! Stop! ARGH, go back again!" Ah, the memories...

I discovered Star Wars while visiting my grandmother. She lived in town and had that amazing thing called cable, and one day Return of the Jedi came on. I was instantly hooked! I didn't have a way to watch it again, but I found a Star Wars book in a book store. Snagged that, and the next one I found, eventually my grandmother recorded the movies for me... and the Star Wars addiction began.

Costuming came into play when we went to Celebration II. A friend told us that we would feel left out if we didn't costume, so Scott and I put together a couple outfits. Those first costumes were awful, but I loved it! From there, once again, the addiction grew. Costuming lets me combine my love of making things with my love of Star Wars (and other characters), and it gives Scott and I something fun to do together. Problem is, we're running out of storage space for all the costumes. We need another shed....

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty new here.

I'm new to the SW costuming thing as well.

Just got approved with the 501st last month with my 1st Aurra Sing costume

Have gotten ALOT of help on here with my Aurra Sing makeup. Thanks to all of you who helped me.

My story, well growing up was spent in the hospital. I had alot of medical issues. Didn't go to school to much so not alot of friends. There were times I was ok to go home. The 1st "Star Wars" came out, my mom bought tickets and I was hooked. Back and forth in the hospital my dad would get me books and then the comics to keep me happy in the hospital. Then came the models. I still have my X-wing, Tie, Falcon, and a few other I build in the hospital. People use to come to the hospital dressed up for us kids. Not to many Star Wars characters but the usual cartoon and Disney ones. They were really cool! A few years later I was doing really good and we actually camped over night for tkts to "ROTJ"!

During all this time my mom sewed my SW costumes every year. Halloween became bigger than my B-day and Xmas! In high school I got into horror makeup.

Several, several, years later I had kids, "5" of them. I would make the whole family themed costumes. I'm not much of a sewer so I would alter clothing.

For a gift last year my husband got me tkts to go to Comicon in San Diego with my friend. There I met the 501st! I got their info. And when I got home I looked up my local garrison. Then last xmas my hubby got me tkts to CV. I then decided I wanted a costume! And here I am! I might not sew everything my self, but I have enjoyed the looks and hugs I've gotten from kids and adults who love Star Wars! And some day I hope to visit the childrens hospital dressed as "Aurra" and put a smile on a kid's face, just like those who visited me in the hospital!

Guest Anonymous
:lol: Well ive always been a big star wars nutt! my dream cosplay was to be prinncess leia and now have done that! i started off with anime cosplays first then the last 2 or 3 years ive been doing more Movie genre costumes. I enjoy doing the charity events with 501st/Rebel Legion it really has brought purpose to my life!