• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

What thread did you use?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What kind of thread did you use for sewing DN costume?

If it´s raw silk, is some kind of silk thread needed?

I found something called Handcrafted silk with Noil varp and some influence of Mill Matka. I have not seen this irl yet so I don´t know if its ok or not yet. And I know many used the Silk noil from Dharma but I was not able to order from Sweden (don´t really know why).

Well any help about what thread is used will help.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous
Hi,

We used raw silk on Scott's Nihilus costume, but we didn't use silk thread. Any mercerized cotton or polyester "all purpose" thread works fine.

Pam :-)

Thanks Pam :).

Guest Anonymous

I figured I would post on this similar thread(no pun intended) my fabric questions instead of starting another redundant one.

Would I have any problems passing costume standards using the following fabrics:

1. Rayon - This is my frontrunner since its cheap, heavy and looks really worn.

Rayon.jpg

2. Silk - This is my backup since its pricey and although very nice it is so thin it will require lining for every garment piece :cry:

Silk.gif

I only ask since I did not want to buy the fabric and then find out it wasn't acceptable. I'm a big fan of crinkle fabric ever since I saw this Darth Nihilus version @ http://www.stormtrooperguy.com/nihilus/.

-Thanks in advance to those who answer especially to Pam for all her great fabric references on this site which has helped to get me started on this Darth Nihilus project. WIP thread to follow this summer once I've made more progress on this costume. :mrgreen:

You're welcome! :-D

A heavier fabric is always better than a too-thin one. Since the bottom edges have to be frayed, it would be very dififcult to line this costume. You could always "self line" it with the same material, but if the silk is already pricy, you don't want to have the price of a double-thickness! The best thing to do is get a sample piece of the fabric you want to use, and test it both for thickness and to make sure it will fray well at the edges. A lot of fabrics just won't fray very well, and you'd be disappointed if you spent a lot of time on the costume only to find that the bottom edge looks wrong when you try to weather it!

Fabric stores often have a cotton crinkle fabric as well... I've seen it at JoAnne's in black, tan, and white. I know that it's a material that will fray because I used it on my Jedi costume, and the edges did look frazzled after I pre-wasehd everything.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply Pam :)

I have both fabrics in hand and I completely agree with you regarding the silk option. The rayon will fray nicely and fits all the criteria you mention. I still might line the cape with the same rayon fabric since it is not so thick that you can't see through it. I will more than likely follow Scott's path in doing the 2 layer cape/hood for more volume.

I have tried the crinkle fabric at JoAnns which I think they're calling it gauze unless you are referring to something else. I like it alot but it's so stretchy and even though its thick enough to not see through its not a very heavy fabric.

Since I don't know who judges the costume standards, is there a way they can take a look at the Rayon fabric pics and let me know if I'm wasting my money. The pics are very accurate as to how they look in reality. I will try to take more pics of it being draped over me and post them this week.

Here's another pic of the rayon:

Rayon2.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Damn :x Trim Fabric ran out of the rayon fabric I wanted and can't reorder :cry:

I guess I'll be going with the more basic crinkle gauze fabric. :?