• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Completed Visas Marr Costume

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys!

My Visas Marr costume was recently accepted and I was told that forum members here might like to see the finished product.

Here are some pictures of the costume at various stages of development:

Front and back panels of the overdress

dressfrnt.jpg

dress2.jpg

At this stage, all that remained to be re-worked were the veil and belt...

JediTemple2.jpg

JediTemple.jpg

Side view of finished costume

VM-1.jpg

The most tedious part of the costume by far was the pinwheel pattern. To do mine, I created two large stencils (2x2 A4) using transparency sheets taped together along the edges. The paintwork itself is acrylic, which was applied using a roller brush.

Following each stencil transfer, the work was corrected and 'gaps' left by the stencil filled in by hand, using a small brush. The combination of stencilling and hand-painting the pattern resulted in a very crisp and clean design which is very difficult to achieve with airbrushing or spray-painting. However, it is both tedious and literally painful on the wrists: acrylic needs to be worked all at once, and it took my mom and I about four hours to do each side, i.e. the front panels and the large back panel.

I also took care to ensure that the patterns would match once the pieces were put together. To do this, the stencils were placed perpendicular on each of the pattern pieces during the initial transfer, and care was taken to 'match' pattern at the edge of each cut-out. The resulting 'flow' of the design when the overdress was eventually put together is therefore visually seamless.

As for the veil, a blend of sewing methods was used. The front piece of the veil was cut out to fit over the eyes and forehead, and the rest of the veil itself was draped over it. How this works is that the veil itself was cut out based on a circular pattern, but then draped over the front piece and adjusted to fit (lots of tacking, lots of accidentally getting poked in the scalp...). The gold design was put on after the veil itself had been assembled.

Hope this helps others who are working on their own Visas Marr outfits :)

That looks great... I've trying to convince my wife to do a Visas, to go with my Nihilius... Some of the techniques you used, should help allot if she decided to try this costume.

Guest Anonymous
That looks great... I've trying to convince my wife to do a Visas, to go with my Nihilius... Some of the techniques you used, should help allot if she decided to try this costume.

Hahahahah!

TELL HER YOU THINK IT IS SEXY AND THAT IT OUTRANKS THE METAL BIKINI.

Maybe she will do it then? ;)

Possibly... ;> I have to give that a try. ;> I need my apprentice!

Anyway grats on the costume, very impressive.

Guest Sakara

beautifully made!!! looks fantastic. One thing though, is the veil made from a different fabric? It's just that in the photos it looks a different colour to the dress and i think the veil and dress have to match..... :?

Guest Anonymous

The veil is made from a different fabric, but is the same colour as the dress itself. The reason the veil and dress appear different under flash photography is due to the way the light reflects off the fabrics. But if you were to compare them physically, there isn't a difference. I'm still on the lookout for a fabric that won't react to flash photography in this way :(

Guest Sakara

Ack hate it when that happens. perhaps if you take some photos in daylight without flash..I know when i submitted my pics, in certain lights it looked different, but in daylight and other lights it matched!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I know what you mean :(

It's really irritating. Which is why I want to find an alternate material in the same colour for the veil - because when you're out on trooping events, etc - there's really no way you can control for which members of the public are going to use flashes, etc. And then their photos of your character turn out all weird...

Guest Anonymous

Beautiful costume and the photography was lovely. What kinds of material did you use for the under dress and over dress?

Guest Anonymous
Beautiful costume and the photography was lovely. What kinds of material did you use for the under dress and over dress?

Overdress was Pleather, and the underdress was some sort of cotton-polyester mix. I've forgotten what it's called, lol!