• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Question about making the "horns" part of the mask.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I am working on my COTF Darth Nihilus I have all the accessories completed. A fellow 501st member is helping with the robes. My last hurdle is going to be the "horns". I need some advice on how to make it. I have seen people use fiber glass to make it.(For me that is not an option.) One of the ways I was thinking about going is using a couple of coat hangers for a frame. stretch and attach some material accross the frame. Then drape my hood over that. Like I said this was just a thought of how to do this. I spent most of my budget for this costume on the robes. So I am trying to figure out a cost effective way of doing this. I would love to get some advise on this subject.

One of the ways I was thinking about going is using a couple of coat hangers for a frame. stretch and attach some material accross the frame. Then drape my hood over that. Like I said this was just a thought of how to do this. I spent most of my budget for this costume on the robes. So I am trying to figure out a cost effective way of doing this. I would love to get some advise on this subject.

This is how my version 1 was. It didn't look great from the side (it did, however, look great from the front IMO)...which is why I'm underway on V2. It can work, but you'd want something to fill the space between that area and the head instead of a sudden drop-off on the back of it/them.

Front:

IMG_1179b.jpg

Side:

nihilus_jedi.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I will have to wait to get home untill I can see your pictures. I cant access photobucket here at work LOL. I keep thinking about this wire frame. I would need at least two parts of the frame. one in the front for the cat ears. and one that goes up in the back behind and above the back of the head. then you could stretch some black material over it. then drape the hood. you should get the triangle look Nihilus has. The only think I am gaving an issue with is how to wear it on the head. I guess you could attach it to something hard that could fit on your head. Like a cheap bating helmet.(it's kind hard to discribe what I am imagining LOL). I will have to play with this once I get my hood. Well I have untill Jul to get this done. I want to have it in time for SDCC

Guest Anonymous

Hi man,

for the COTF i made those horns with some aluminum

and some patience....

this is the result:

(i put them on my topic more than a mouth ago, but nobody notice it or post some response since January....maybe my works are becoming invisible on this forum)

BTW look at the pitures:

nihiluscorna002.jpgnihiluscorna001.jpg

nihiluscorna003.jpg

I can grab a few, it's pretty simple... I took the front flap off the hat sewed that shut, wrapped the cones in duct tape and sewed them directly to the hat, they are placed so they sit at the edge of the hat above and just to the outsides of the eyes. It takes a bit to get the looks just right, but the hood is sewn to the horns to keep it in place then folded down and sewn so it folds under the front of the hat against the forehead.

The bottom is the type of hat I used, the front where the medal is pinned, was removed with a seam ripper, the resulting hole was sewn up. I wear my mask on the outside of the hat, I have elastic strap that encircles my head going over the ear flaps so the mask sit snug against the top of the hood.

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

east%20german%20cossack%20hat.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Hi man,

for the COTF i made those horns with some aluminum

and some patience....

this is the result:

(i put them on my topic more than a mouth ago, but nobody notice it or post some response since January....maybe my works are becoming invisible on this forum)

BTW look at the pitures:

nihiluscorna002.jpgnihiluscorna001.jpg

nihiluscorna003.jpg

Those are PERFECT!!!! the best part is I work at a DR's office and we have aluminum finger splints. They are long so we cut them down, so those can work. Can I see how you have them attached to what ever you wear. Also how do u drape the cloth down?

Guest Anonymous

so I wanted to show off my results of my experimentation over the weekend. (Thank you Darth Davide for the insperation.)

The first picture is the rig(man this thing is ugly but it works) I came up with. The gray tape is just to cover sharp edges. Its not actually holding anything together. The frame is pop rivited to the plastic helmet. I also apoxied some snaps into the helmet and my mask which I connect using a piece of leather belt. So that keeps everything in place. The second picture is a very very rough look how it will look with the hood and cape. This is by no means a final look. I just wanted to see how the size and location of the "cat ears" look. Does any body have any thoughts how I could improve it.

nihilushood2.th.jpg

nihilushood1.th.jpg

Guest Anonymous
so I wanted to show off my results of my experimentation over the weekend. (Thank you Darth Davide for the insperation.)

The first picture is the rig(man this thing is ugly but it works) I came up with. The gray tape is just to cover sharp edges. Its not actually holding anything together. The frame is pop rivited to the plastic helmet. I also apoxied some snaps into the helmet and my mask which I connect using a piece of leather belt. So that keeps everything in place. The second picture is a very very rough look how it will look with the hood and cape. This is by no means a final look. I just wanted to see how the size and location of the "cat ears" look. Does any body have any thoughts how I could improve it.

nihilushood2.th.jpg

nihilushood1.th.jpg

I think it looks good so far. The only thing I have a bit problem with is that the "ears" looks a bit big. But I might be wrong so wait until others say something about it also before changing anything.

Guest Anonymous

nihilushood2.th.jpg

nihilushood1.th.jpg

I think it looks good so far. The only thing I have a bit problem with is that the "ears" looks a bit big. But I might be wrong so wait until others say something about it also before changing anything.

Well thats the beauty of the material I used (aluminum finger splints) all I have to do is cut a section out and rivit them together and voila smaller ears.

Guest Anonymous

nihilushood2.th.jpg

nihilushood1.th.jpg

So i'm very happy to hear that someone used my trick....this means that a little bit of my work is not getting invisible through the eyes of the flagship eclipse....

by the way just a few things to say....

1)sorry if i didn't show you any pics of the horns on the fabric but i'm quite busy with school at the moment

2) i have actually finished my KOTOR version so as soon as i'll have time i'll start my cotf....

3)follow always the picture of DN in the cotf version to get an idea of the horns of this "sith"...remember, more close you go...more professional it'll look!!!

Guest Anonymous

I like your horns a lot. I got a question though. PLEASE somebody help. I have the frame of my horns made out of a metal rod, but I want to ask, to you (others) sew the fabric somehow and make the horns' cover that way, or do you simply put the fabric over?

thank you all very much! :)

have a good week

Erda