• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj-To-Be

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, here I am, absolutely salivating at the chance to dress up for Celebration V. Since this will be my first truly serious attempt at a costume, (I was a generic Jedi for Celebration III) I feel I'll need help.

For now, I'm just getting myself out there. This will keep me accountable for my progress towards Asajj.

I actually have a plan. One costume per day of the convention, but... uh... we'll see. Time and money might make that impossible. Asajj first, Ilum or Rodia Padmé next with a possible Mara Jade. And yes, I've already been through Pam's site extensively when looking for a Halloween costume for my friend.

I've sketched a bit of the Asajj costume but I have a question before I start. This image:

VentressATOCConcept.jpg

On the secondary, smaller skirt, there are some patterns. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how those are done. Or a theory. Or an educated guess. Or just pluck an idea out of the air and put some strong adjectives in there.

A few of the pictures show her belt over a solid, black cloth-type sash that goes all the way around her body. It's best seen in the concept above and the image here:

normal_Asajj_best.jpg

Talk to me. I can't wait to get this thing started.

<3 Lynn

Very cool! Another Asajj at CV 8) Not sure who all from this detachment is going, but it would be so cool to get a pic of all the Ventresses together, no? :D

Quick question: are you wanting to have your costume approved for 501st membership? If so, be sure to take the time to review (and review some more) the costume standards for this version of Asajj.

For the outer skirt, have you seen any other visual references to give a better idea of the pattern involved? I suppose your options would be to either use a patterned material, or you could paint a custom design on plain fabric.

Did you have specific questions about the obi (the sash)? The obi is mentioned in the standards as an optional item. From the pic it looks to be maybe 10-12 inches wide, the fabric looks loosely gathered (maybe some rouching?), and sits around the hips I think.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress and hopefully we'll meet up at CV. Hmm, maybe at a detachment gathering of some kind ... :wink:

Aside from the obi behind the belt I used the top sketch as reference for a lot of my Asajj costume.

brita.jpg

I'd be happy to help if I can, I'm actually in the RL as Ilum Padme too. :)

4180-A.jpg

My husband likes to say it is about the only Padme you can do bald, but the balaclava hides that well.

Guest Anonymous

I thnk a collective Asajj pic would be great! I need to get all of my affairs in order and order the tickets. Eight months is scary close.

As for 501st membership, I'm not immediately concerned. I just want to make an impressive costume. But I will be following many of the standards set up by the 501st. If I end up getting it approval-ready, I'll submit. :)

The only visual reference for the outer skirt pattern is the concept image I posted above. I haven't seen it in action in any other capacity. I'm not terribly worried about that element. I'm okay if the outer skirt has to go without the pattern.

I missed the obi from the standards since I didn't know what it was called. It's a learning process for me. ^_^ Did either of you attempt the obi with your initial design?

Also, what fabric did you guys use for the skirt? I want something fairly light (since it will be August in Orlando >.<) and with a nice draping.

Be patient with me. This thread might be dormant for a while until I get all my wits (read "cash") about me.

Thanks for the help!

~Lynn

Yes there are a couple detail that are unique to that sketch. For the skirt I found a black pleated skirt that was reasonably light weight and essentially floor length as Thomas had suggested, and I think it looks quite nice.

I went with the AOTC Concept Version of Asajj Ventress version of her. As for the Obi the image you posted is one of the only times she's shown with it.

Obi:

* If desired, the costumer may wear a wide obi under the belt(s).

* If worn, the obi is made of the same fabric as the skirt.

We opted to go with the comic design without it, but it is a nice detail, we just liked this look a little better: VentressBelt.jpg

The crossing part of the belt isn't quite the right shape the way I have it now and we're making a new one to fit that design more closely.

I missed the obi from the standards since I didn't know what it was called. It's a learning process for me. ^_^ Did either of you attempt the obi with your initial design?

I like to think that costuming is a continual learning process :wink: One version of Ventress I've done is the "Sash belt" version:

untitled2-1.jpg

This particular version doesn't have an obi, but I have made them in the past for other costumes.

Also, what fabric did you guys use for the skirt? I want something fairly light (since it will be August in Orlando >.<) and with a nice draping.

I made my skirt from a polyester fabric that is finished in a way that reminds me of cotton sateen but is slightly heavier to give it a good drape.

Guest Anonymous

Let me be very clear. I can't draw. But I did anyway. I needed a bit of a road map. So, here are a few sketches for Asajj. I need to keep myself on track or it will never happen.

Also, the journal keeps me honest. http://sinrider.livejournal.com/106482.html

asajj_body_sketch.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a zipper up the back of the neck piece

asajj_neck_sketch.jpg

Buckles weren't drawn in and yes, I know it's a crappy looking boot. :P

asajj_boot_sketch.jpg

This would be the front section of the skirt

asajj_skirt_front_sketch.jpg

And naturally, this would be the back and sides

asajj_skirt_back_sketch.jpg

~Lynn

I'm thinking of doing a zipper up the back of the neck piece

After trying some other things and some suggestions from Pam I went the same route with a small zipper on the back middle. It looks good and doesn't come apart.

Guest Anonymous

Eight months later, I still don't have a costume. I will get into one eventually, but I don't have all the necessary skills to build all of the elements from scratch. My mom was trying to help me put this stuff together, but she got frustrated and wanted nothing to do with it.

I'll probably come back to this soon, but for now, CV will be a spectator sport. :(

See ya there.