• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Newbie would like expert opinion COTF costume

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello I’m new here and I’m sorry to ask stupid newbie questions, but I noticed that there is a Darth Nihilus COTF costume on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

I would like to know what the 501st’s EU experts think of it and if anyone on this board has dealt with this seller before.

There is also a Darth Nihilus mask on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

But the seller has no feedback.

Hi,

Asking questions before starting a project is always a good thing. Of course, I prefer that questions start with "how do I make this?" rather than "should I buy this"... but that's my view on costuming! (And no saying "I don't know how to sew" because I didn't know how to sew when I started, either! Well, I still don't... but that doesn't stop me from attempting it! :-D)

I've never dealt with this person as a seller, but if it is who I think it is, I've dealt with them as a costumer trying to get their Nihilus approved. It was something of a battle of wills. The costume is more or less okay for a starter, but it would need a lot of work to make it 501st approvable. There are some elements that are very incorrect and would not be approved, such as the huge flaps on the sides of the head, while other elements are kinda sorta off, such as the sleeves, and some elements are good, such as the obi sash and crossover cut of the tunics. The weathering needs a lot of work to be acceptable. Rather than looking like "worn out fabric," it appears to be more along the lines of "attacked by Edward Scissorhands."

The mask is difficult to judge since they don't have pictures of a person actually wearing it, but it seems to be okay from what I can see.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

i'm not an expert of DN COTF version

but the mask of the 2nd link looks like mine but we don't see which materials were used for it (thickness)

DN is a really good costume with so many details

Guest Anonymous

Hy guys...

maybe i can help you...

the second link offers a mask from a very well know artis on ebay: big water 99

(or something like that)

i think this mask is very good...i'm actually using the second version of it with the black lenses and the black under mask....

But i have a question:

in the last post you are using the following word DN...

what does it mean???is it another version of Nihilus???

thank you

Guest Anonymous
Hy guys...

maybe i can help you...

the second link offers a mask from a very well know artis on ebay: big water 99

(or something like that)

i think this mask is very good...i'm actually using the second version of it with the black lenses and the black under mask....

But i have a question:

in the last post you are using the following word DN...

what does it mean???is it another version of Nihilus???

thank you

I think he means DN=Darth Nihilus...maybe :D

Pam's right about who it is and the costume would need a lot of work to be up to par. The amount of alteration needed to be accepted would make it better to just make/have made from scratch without it being a big time-in-progress difference.

As for the mask....I like that mask for the KOTOR version of Nihilus, but the CotF DN mask is slightly different and has a different look.

KOTOR:

Nihilus.png

The Ebay one is closer to that....but it'll work. Mine was closer to the KOTOR one before altering. Like so:

trim_sidebyside.jpg

It was our 1st sewing experience and we loved it. Cheese grater for weathing/distressing rocks...just wear a mask/respirator if using it on silk noil....don't wanna inhale all those fibers.