• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Question About COTF Mask

DarthMel

The CRL states that there are two small ovals on either side of the center top large oval on the mask. I was looking at the reference pictures on this site and am wondering how that amount is known for sure. The pictures blur in that area, making it impossible to tell the exact amount. Is there another reference picture that was not posted here?

The actual box art was used for that call, though the era in which that CRL was created did not have the same requirements as now for validation of references. If you can show a contrasting point to it not being as such, we can look it over. :) 

So, I tried looking at pictures of the actual miniature to look for clues, but even with the high quality pictures, the ovals weren’t showing up, so I can’t tell from that either. To illustrate my point about the CotF box picture, though, if you look at the picture of Nihilus here (this is not the CotF version): https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darth_Nihilus

it is difficult to tell that there are 3 ovals on either side. It looks like 2 to me. But that picture is a high enough resolution that you can zoom in to it and tell that there are indeed 3 ovals on each side. That’s about all I have to illustrate my point. If we had a high resolution picture, it’s possible that the 2 ovals could actually be 3. The available pictures are just too blurry to tell for sure, in my opinion.

Edited by DarthMel

I didn't mean to say that that photo was of the COTF Nihilus. I was only trying to point out the logic behind my argument: that the current photo for COTF Nihilus is not detailed enough to make the assumption that there are only two ovals. Even that picture of KOTOR II Nihilus looks to only have 2 ovals, until you zoom in (because it's a higher resolution photo), and then you can see (barely) that there are 3 on each side. The COTF photo is too pixelated to determine the amount of ovals.

I can't confirm as I'm not on holiday and can't check, but it was also a combination of the COTF minifigure in referencing for the CRL. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that it needs to be handled carefully when analyzing, and cross comparisons are difficult to validate using KOTOR for COTF and vice versa as they really do only share boots, cat ears, and a name. Literally every other aspect is different.