• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

EU protocol

Guest IC-7989

Guest IC-7989

I was hoping some one could help me with this since I'm still pretty new to EU. What is the "protocol" of a 501st member who decides to show up to a LFL event in an EU costume. From what I've been told, official LFL events are typically reserved for the original canon. So if some one decided to show up to an LFL event as an EU character, what should one expect?

Guest Daritha

That's a good question. I can't give the answer but how far I know its often up to the organizers if they want to have EU characters or specific characters in the event.

If you show up in a hospital as the scorched Darth Sion or as an Imperial Officers on War Memorial parades (cause of the striking resemblance of the officers' uniforms to Nazi uniforms) - that may not be a good idea.

But please correct me if I'm wrong!

Good morning,

An "Official LFL event" is like a private party with a guest list. If one decides to "just show up" without an invite it would be considered rude, and may even have consequences both within the Legion and from LFL. Just like a party crasher.

The type of Official LFL events you might have in mind these days are not even 501st events. They are LFL marketing driven, drawing from 501st membership as a reliable and inexpensive/free pool of costumers to promote what they believe is best for sales.

In most cases, characters that are discussed on The Flagship Eclipse would not fit into LFL's Marketing designs. For the moment, it is all Clone Wars all the tyme. And that is OK, it is their business.

There's a difference between an Official LFL event and an Official 501st/LFL event. An Official 501st/LFL event is when LFL wants to promote the 501st as part of its event. Usually, it serves LFL Marketing needs best to focus on Star Wars, not SW fan clubs.

At a public event, costume as you please. But please don't crash a private LFL party/event, especially in an Expanded Universe costume. It would reflect poorly not only the 501st, but on The Flagship Eclipse in specific.

Be well,

Thomas

As with any event, the best thing to do is always to ask your garrison leaders, who will be in touch with the event's organizers and hosts. Sometimes EU costumes are wanted, and sometimes they are not. Sometimes they're absolutely perfect for the event, and sometimes they're clearly out of place. Sometimes the event is specifically promoting the EU, such as the release of a game, while other times they just want a group of white armored troops to stand around looking impressive. We know that different events have different looks and focus, so we just roll with it.

From what I've seen, every official LFL event comes with a carefully chosen set of costume guidelines. They know exactly what they want, and they aren't afraid to ask for it. Nobody just shows up at those events in a randomly selected costume... the list of approved participants and costumes is developed well before anyone sets foot on the property.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

What Thomas and Pam said.

To add. I recently did an event as Darth Revan the same day the Lego Star Wars Book release was going on. At first they just wanted Canon costumes from Clone Wars and the Original Trilogy. I was ther just to help out and not suit up. Then all of a sudden the Managers from the Lego Store found out I had my Darth Revan and the insisted I put it on. (The manager is a big KOTOR fan.) So I obliged and the kids loved it.

So to be asked like that is fine as long it's ok with the Organizer, in that case it was the Managers.