• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Question re: fabric for shirt - Sash belt version

kathgruben

So while I did have fun with my CW Ventress costume I made last year, I would really love to make a "sash belt" Ventress and have started doing my research. I have a question about the following standard:

Shirt:

* The form-fitting shirt must have long sleeves.

* The shirt should be made of an off-white or pale gray matte stretch material. Slightly darker gray stripes may be included.

Okay, so the fabric should be off-white or pale grey in colour, matte and stretchy. I have been able to find a pale grey spandex fabric in a local fabric store that might do the trick. However, because it is spandex and not a blend with spandex in it, the fabric has a slight sheen in it - not turly sparkly or shiny, but not entirely flat matte either.

For those who helped hammer out the standard, and anyone else, any thoughts on whether this fabric would be acceptable?

I would say that as long as it doesn't have a true shine, it should be okay. It wouldn't be the ideal, but it would be passable. Personally, I would keep looking until I found something that I was truly happy with, which would most likely be a blend fabric. The fact that you're asking makes me think that you haven't found that elusive perfect fabric yet. Would you be happy with this "kinda good enough" fabric once you spent hours making the costume with it? Or would you wish that you had hunted a bit longer for something else?

What does the back side of the fabric look like? I've made several costumes using fabric that was turned backwards, because the back side had the sheen or texture that I needed. My first Mara jumpsuit was made with stretch moleskin, which had a shiny backing that looked perfect for what I was trying to do. (Of course their idea of "stretch" and the amount of stretch that I needed were two different things, so jumpsuit 2.0 was made shortly afterward....)

Pam :-)

I think a blend would probably be best too. If you'd like send me a PM and I could look up what I used, it was just something I found at JoAnnes.

ladyb, PM sent.

Thank you for your input. It is true, I don't feel I've found just the right fabric yet and will keep looking. The back side of the spandex is exactly like the front, but that is a great idea and I will keep it in mind as I hunt. I'm planning to do some fabric shopping in Montreal (fashion and haute couture is bigger there) at the end of the month, so hopefully I'll find that "a-ha!" fabric I'm looking for. I'm thinking this spandex would only be good as a last resort.

Well, I'm happy to report that while in Montreal yesterday I did indeed say "a-ha!" and found just the right fabric - light grey, matte and it has stretch! Looking forward to getting started on this :D