• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus Gloves

Darth Tader

Hey guys, ive been looking for gloves for Nihilus for a bit now, and I found a tutorial on how to make your own gloves (super easy too just going to do a couple cheep fabric mock ups to practice), I happen to have some leather from an old jacket that will work perfectly (nice thickness pre softened) but its a reddish brown.  I was wondering if anyone knows how to "re-dye" leather to make it black. I was thinking shoe polish but idk if that will come off everywhere. 

They have commercial dyes that you can use that will do the job and leave little bleeding, though the correct term would be "staining". There is also a method where you soak rusty metal in white vinegar for an extended period of time and then soak the leather. it comes out dark brown but when you wax it, it turns black (chemistry at its finest!). Here's a link to that one http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/1352-how-to-dye-leather-black/