• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan Custom Saber Project

Guest Cleverlilminx

Guest Cleverlilminx

I want this to be a group effort if possible.

I am talking to a couple of lightsaber makers to see if anyone would be interested in making Darth Revan and Darth Nihilus sabers.

What I need for the membership at large are any and all reference photos of Darth Revan's lightsabers.

Please make sure the reference photos come from LFL sources only.

Thank you all in advance for helping out. :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Hi! Back from vacation and on the boards again! This is a worthy project, and I have some ideas for people who make custom sabers at good prices.

HOWEVER, at this point, we have lousy references for Revan and Nihilus (and Malak, etc.) sabers, because the graphics in KOTOR and KOTOR II are "primitive" enough that the saber hilts are very close to featureless. I suppose we could wait and base the designs off action figures, etc. if they have more to them, or wait until we see designs spring forth from the KOTOR comics - we've more or less got confirmation in the last issue on who Malak is going to turn out to be in the comics and he's seen with a (pre-Sith-identity) saber with detailing on it. So, that's a thought.

But really, the game sabers (unmodded, that is) are pretty much just silver cylinders.

In the absence of a good design, I've gotten a custom saber for my Revan costume (with a red blade...maybe I'll get a purple bladed saber as well, eventually) so that I have a saber hilt that doesn't already belong to a movie character. If there ever is a lot of detail for Revan's saber, I'll have to swap my current hilt out, but for now it'll do.

Anyway, if I see any good references for the characters, I'll definitely post screencaps or photos. It's a great idea! Just too bad we've not much to work with yet.

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

I noticed a pile of Sith comic miniseries out there, maybe they have have better references. Of course they may be changed when the figures come out

I?ll leaf through some when I get to the shop next time

I did see comics from the Golden Age of the Sith Era and the HyperSpace War

Guest Anonymous

True, but if you're looking for Revan, Malak, Nihilus, Sion, etc. those will not be found in the comics you mentioned. Folks like Exar Kun, etc. might, but Revan et al are from the video games Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords only. So far, none of these characters has appeared much of anywhere else (Nihilus shows up as a mini-fig, I guess and in a few development and promotional illustrations) although some may eventually appear in their Sith personae in the Knights of the Old Republic comic book series.

:)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

FYI, I just posted screenshots (unmodded) of Revan's sabers from KOTOR II in the sticky saber thread on this board. As yoiu can see, they're fairly detail-free. I am guessing that Nihilus's saber hilts are pretty much the same. I'll see if I can scare up any screencaps of those.

Again, to people on this board, BEWARE. Screenshots of modded KOTOR sabers are all over the web. Be sure, if you post shots for reference here, that they are from UNmodded versions of the game, only! Modded ones are useless for research purposes, if you actually want a game-accurate saber (boring as they are)!

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Seeing that the canon story for Revan is that he goes from good to bad to good again there are options for a post-brainwipe Revan's saber. This could mean anything you like because the game, as we all know, gives all the Jedi and Sith sink tubes for sabers. If like me you want to make Revan's Redemption Robes or a White Revan outfit I think that the only condition would be white or silverish blades. Although one cyan and one bronze blade (Mantle of the Force and Heart of the Guardian) may be acceptable. The hilts can be anything you like, I suppose, until those good fellows at Lucas Arts come up with definitive designs. I am considering making my sabers out of ivory or pearl candle sticks then adding the "working parts" from the Custom Saber Shop. Just my two cents' worth. Great tutorials by the way.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not trying to discourage anybody from any costumes, but since these boards specifically are about the 501st eligible Revan, any "post-redemption" or "post-mind-wipe" saber input really isn't relevant. Now, with that in mind, I'm fine with talking about it in general terms. I just want anyone who is reading these boards and considering a 501st Revan to know that the standards being developed for the 501st Revan will specify either a single red blade with a hilt design not shared by other canonical characters, or a paired red and purple set of sabers, with the same caveat.

Sorry, Ata Pala...again, not discouraging you from your costume and very interested in it. This is just so that anybody else reading doesn't get confused and think, "Oh! Hey! I could have a silver saber!" :)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

You're right of course. I just needed to get that idea out in the open and get some feedback, which I duly got! Thanks.

Guest Anonymous
You're right of course. I just needed to get that idea out in the open and get some feedback, which I duly got! Thanks.

Thanks for being understanding, Ata. :) I really AM jazzed about your LS Revan costume concept! :)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if you all saw my post in the Nihilus forum, but through thecustomsabershop.com you can make a generic KOTOR saber that comes pretty close to the screenshots for Revan's sabers.

mhsnihilus2.jpg

The shop offers the emmitter, main hilt section, handwheel and pommel pictured as well as all electronics needed to make it full-on Lux. The only thing you would have to build or buy separately would be the clamp section where the switch is located (basically any sleeve with a lip to fit over the hilt).

Cost would be about $95 for the saber, $20-40 for electronics depending on type of LED, and $10 to $30 for a blade with mirror tip and diffuser. Assembly requires screwing the parts together and very minor wiring. The site provides wiring tutorials.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you very much for posting this - I'll check it out and see if it works for my purposes.

Yeesh, just what I need, another saber. That'll make... *counts on fingers* seven sabers. Including the two I made from found parts, 2 MR sabers, and three custom sabers.

Good grief. I think I need an intervention...

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Nice! With whom are you working, if I may ask? I may contact RLSASabers as well, to see if he's willing to tackle a project, and if so, for how much. Just to do comparison shopping...

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Well here's a pic of my finished Revan saber with it's fully working electrical gubbings, finally managed to get hold of it, this one had quite a trip around the country finding it's way to me!

But I'm well pleased with it, my garrison friend has done an awesome job!

revansaber002.jpg

Guest Anonymous

He might do , I could ask, but the price may be prohibitive for you guys in the states due to the conversion rate from pounds to dollars.

I was charged ?180 , which at the moment is the equivalent of around $350 and you'll have international shipping on top of that.

Guest Anonymous

Ouch...yeah, that exchange rate is murder. Well, if you don't mind asking...but at that price, I can't afford it. Either way, it is a GORGEOUS saber. Many MANY congratulations on it. :)

- Carolyn

Guest Darth Revan
Nice! With whom are you working, if I may ask? I may contact RLSASabers as well, to see if he's willing to tackle a project, and if so, for how much. Just to do comparison shopping...

- Carolyn

I was quoted $175 - $250 US depending the cost of the brass. If there were more of us ordering the same thing, maybe we can get the price down. Not sure though.

Guest Darth Revan
No it was from www.nocturnearmory.com. There is a 3 - 4 week wait for custom orders. I also tried www.customesabershop.com and he said he was swamped. RANDOMSABERS, while being top of the line have a 9 - 10 month backlog

Just to reiterate what I have said in other threads, my saber from RandomSabers took a year and a litte. I suspect the 9-10 month backlog is more like a year, still. Great sabers, VERY nice guy, but just be aware.

I will contact RLSA in the next while just to get another quote, if possible.

- Carolyn

Guest Cleverlilminx

You might want to try UltraSabers then Kyle. They also have the brightest red blades of any saber I have ever seen.

Jentress was using them at D*C. :D