• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Cori's Visas Marr - advice?

cori1312

An old project resurfaced with the coming of the newest movie this December.

Seven years ago, I started a Visas Marr build, under the forum name "shape_in_the_shadows". Life got away from me. I got married, had two kids, and just now am getting back into a place where I could handle committing, not just to a costume build, but to joining the 501st. Visas is my favorite character, though I may branch out later into Revan, or build a TIE pilot costume for my husband.

So where am I at right now?

I have my costume-that-was-never-finished, which I plan to use as a mock up. I would finish it, but the thought of continuing to hand-paint those pinwheels... I'm not even sure that's accepted anymore. However, it fits perfectly and I love the way the it came out otherwise.

Gloves-on order (from China, so waiting a while for those).

Boots-on the lookout
Sash fabric-check

Black leather-check

Pinwheel paint-check

Pinwheel template-in progress

Veil- Well, I have a great veil that I'm super happy with, but I used glitter gold paint on it. :( So I need to make a new one, with the new approved paint, which will be a huge improvement over what used to be approved. (How many of you ladies were here seven years ago? I remember Pam.) And I am having the hardest time finding fabric of the right color! I found some at HobbyLobby, but I'll never be able to see through it. Any suggestions??

Underdress-I would like to avoid making a whole new one as the one I have is a great color and drape, but if I need a new veil, I may need a new underdress too.

Any suggestions, advice or most-important-things-to-remember?

Below I attached an old photo. Forgive the discoloration. The veil/underdress are really much more like the second attached photo.

post-1373-0-74191600-1443455730_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-77816600-1443455736_thumb.jpg

Today I printed my initial attempt at a template using my favoritest ever crafting invention, the Silhouette cutting machine.

As an initial attempt, it was successful. As a final template, poor. I will have to thicken the lines for the pinwheel, as well as widen the gaps to disconnect them. I used freezer paper (it irons onto most fabric), but for the leather I will be using peel/stick contact paper or vinyl. Something sturdier and easier to remove from the sticky cutting mat. Once I have a good test sheet, I will cut several to fit together over the leather, matching seams as best I can, before beginning to paint.

post-1373-0-58919400-1443467853_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-93408900-1443467859_thumb.jpg

Hi welcome back 

Nice to see, that you haven´t given up on this - it looks good. Perhaps you could take some more pics ? 

It´s hard to see the details on the one, that you´ve put up.

I used a golden fabric for the pattern on the veil and sleeves ( I did the other version of her ) and glued it on. Much easier and it gives it a more even look all around.

Keep it up  :))

There pretty much aren't any details, except for the veil. The pic was taken before I started on the painting. I don't remember why it was all the way together, but I ended up pulling it apart (just at the waist seam) to hand paint it. So at the moment, it's in pieces. But I will take as many pics as I can (yay tripod!) while I build the new one.

How on earth did you use gold fabric? It's a brilliant idea, but I am at a loss to how you executed that.

I did find the new veil fabric yesterday. Super happy to pay only $1.50 a yard, so I bought enough to do the underdress from scratch too.

Super - just take your time and don´t rush it  :-D

I draw the pattern on the backside of the golden fabric, used a very sharp knife to cut it out and then I glued it onto the dress sleves and the veil.  As you can see on my profil pic, it get´s a nice shine and clean/even pattern.

I couldn´t get the golden paint to work for me - don´t know, what I did wrong, so it was actually my mum´s idea to use the golden fabric instead - and it worked perfectly, though it took some time to draw and cut. 

But it is also easy to replace, if/when it get´s to "used" or get damaged.

A little Heat-n-Bond Ultralock, some shiny gold fabric and a little desktop crafting and I have a glueless, exacto-knife-free way to trim my veil and gloves. If I ever decide to branch out into the comic book version, it will be super easy to reproduce because I saved my computer file.

Remind me to thank my mother-in-law for having the foresight to see what an amazingly handy tool a Silhouette cutting machine would turn out to be for me.

post-1373-0-39846100-1444176334_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-19198500-1444176339_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-72882600-1444176343_thumb.jpg