• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Nihilus! & mask sculpt

rezori

Hey guys!

I've been creeping around the forums for a couple months and now that i'm well on my way with my COTF costume I have a couple questions. This will be my entry costume into the 501st so I'm a total n00b.

I'm about to start sewing the skirts and I'm wondering how you guys went about it. I'm new to sewing but have made the tunic, obi and sleeves so far so I feel comfortable enough with it, however I've been using a pattern thus far. Did you use a pattern for the skirts? I'm wondering if it's just a straight rectangle or if it should have a bit of a flare to it so it flows nicely when you walk.

The material i'm using is black-out drapery material so its thicker and i'm concerned about the gathers on the skirt not being 'tight' enough, if that makes sense?!

ANNNNDDDD to you lady Nihilus' out there!

How did you go about making your costume look like a dude?! I'm thinking sports bra to flatten the chest and foam shoulder wedges, maybe padding down the tummy?? Or does it work as you are?

Thanks so much!

Hi

And welcome ;)

I made a Nihilus COFT for one of my friends also as his first 501st. costume - I used a "normal" pattern for the skirt, just make sure to take a little bit extra fabric in the width, so you get the volume and nice look, when walking.

Nope, don´t get what you mean by tight enough ? easier with a pic ;)

Unless you´re extra gifted (like Pamela Anderson :)) ) a normal sports bra is fine, no one can tell, when all the layers are on.

You need to enjoy having this costume on and being all strapped in, is not pleasant. Also remember, that all this fabric is going to be hot + if you put in padding in the front, that it´s going to be even hotter.

I hope, this helps a bit - looking forward to follow your Progress.

For my Nihilus I just followed Scott and Pam's tutorial pretty much to the letter:

http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/robes.html

The one thing I believe we did differently with the skirt was that we made mine one long continuous piece rather than 3 panels sewn together. With this much fabric you don't have to do anything fancy with it, it drapes and flows just fine. I did use the same raw silk as Scott so if you're using a different fabric it may end up looking a little different.

Hope this helps.

-Jason

Thanks guys! Figured out the skirts and I think it's gonna work just fine. :) I'll post some pics once it get it a little more put together.

Haha thankfully for this costume I'm not gifted like Pamela, so should be good like you said. Also very good tip about being comfortable as well. I get cold usually so maybe I'll want the padding down the tummy hahah! I'll definitely make it a temp thing and test out first. :)

Got some belts from the Salvation Army today, gonna order those metal peg things from Tandy tonight. And order gloves from leather mystics that were linked in another thread. This is so exciting!

Another question - where's the best place to order the black-out mask from? I've been looking up Zentai mask places but I'm not sure which is the best. Thanks!

;)

You´re on the right path and I´m sure, that you will get this to be a great costume that fits you perfect.

As to the black-out mask - my friend uses a normal balaclava and has black fabric clued to the inside of the mask over the eyeholes.

I think you can use a lot of different versions as long as you can see out :))

I just bought a zentai hood off ebay. Not sure what the seller was, doesn't really matter. I seem to recall the key thing to look for though being a 3 seam hood. that way the front is one large panel and you don't have a seam running down your nose which would be quite uncomfortable.

As a lady Nihilus, I wear a sports bra and it's fine with just that. There are so many layers of fabric, and you really have no "figure" so to speak, so no one can tell I'm female. What will give it away will be your walk and how you stand. Practice in front of a mirror "manly" stances and walking. It's pretty hilarious when first trying it out, but it will help when out in public. When we are at a troop and just standing around, you can tell pretty easily who the female stormtroopers are just by how they stand.

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks so much for the help guys!!! I got some foam knee pads and attached them to the tunic with Velcro so they make my shoulders look a little more imposing/manly.

Got all my sewing done except the cape (going to do that after we do the mask)!!

I sculpted my mask and my husband helped me out and did the silicone mold and then a fiberglass version to wear. It turned out great! So fun to do!!! I'm not 100% satisfied with the eye/ nose shape so we've built them up with bondo and will shape it by sanding it (it's drying right now). We will re-mold the fixed up version after. Going to do the center detail on our 3D printer.

Here are a few progress pics. :)

pa4epu8e.jpg

6unugypy.jpg

qe7u5a4a.jpg

y5y7u5yr.jpg

I'm personally not a fan of the cheeks on the mask that others like so I kept then smooth. I also plan to do a more stylized version (for a non-approval gender bend girl version!) and I want to make it look like bone and do the red eye marks as if it's blood smeared on with a finger. Can't wait!!

That is an excellent looking mask! You don't have to have the cheek bones on the mask for approval if you aren't a fan of them. I don't have them on mine either. It comes down to how picky and accurate you want to be in the end for your costume. Cheek bones are on the COTF Nihilus, and the smoother mask is the KOTOR version.

Cheers,

Nef

Personally I like cheek bones. Makes the mask look that little bit more menacing. But as I said that's my personal opinion. Also my opinion is that I like that mask you've made. Looking forward to seeing one finished up.

Great work!

LOL!!! Thanks guys! Been tweaking the nose shape a lot as it was too round for my liking and finally got it looking right. Next to do the center detail!

a9a5u2yq.jpg

uju9egat.jpg

7emugava.jpg

I've been a member since May! YAY! SL-17771! Thanks for your help guys! I'll post up some pics of my completed costume and mask when I have a bit more time. :)

Thank you so much! Finally getting around to posting this, lol!

Here is a facebook album of my build progress, as well as a couple completed photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 734d7e0043

And some photos of the mask before we painted it - we will be selling these once we order the proper matierals.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... c344226258

and a couple shots on troops!

coffee.jpg

popcorn.jpg

10492529_805246589495065_3247824665939308755_n.jpg

visas.jpg

visas2.jpg

how did you do the cowl? I love how clean the flat style cowl looks!

Thank you! It's a construction helmet base, and the ears/cowl shape is done with aluminum strips riveted together and to the construction hat base. Nice and light, very airy, and stays put on my head perfectly!

Can kinda see it in these pictures:

da9e282c4f30d14bc715d06d8a817da8.jpg

d075b007bc2d1543f192dade3405c47d.jpg

We are hopefully going to start production on these early this year. I'll definitely spread the word once we are ready. Prices will be based on cost of materials and time. Thank you!

My husband has finished up perfecting the master mask and we have the first layer of silicone curing right now!

For updates on the mask status (and other cool stuff we are making!) check us out on-

http://www.khrosnest.com

On Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/khrosnest

On Instagram:

http://instagram.com/khrosnest

Twitter coming soon!