• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

my capelet, my bane.

darth_erebus

Hello!

So I am in the final finishing steps in finishing up my Revan costume! i got through it all with minimal hang ups. That is except for the capelet. I cannot get it to sit right when i try to put it on. The first one i made was too short, it looked good but just short. The second time around i went ahead and made a just a regular capelet but it was too billowey. Third attempt i went back to my first one and tried to add an arched piece of fabric in between the hood and said capelet. It kind of worked but there is still some odd puckering of the fabric as it comes over my shoulders.

Another thing i was wondering it where exactly i should attach the rings on the capelet that attach to the chest armor.

Any help you be greatly appreciated!

This sounds like an issue where more is better. If you tuck the excess fabric in to where it 'needs' to be you can always mark that, attach and then mark for the hooks and if you feel up to it, remove the excess fabric after.

Pics for sure, to help.

74120f9cdc9411e2881122000a9f12f2_7.jpg

7aed2b0edc9311e2ab3e22000a1fb352_7.jpg

here are some of the better shots of me at the buffalo bisons star wars night on saturday.

and i feel i have to mention that kid fell down on his own i didn't push him heh.

the capelet as is is eh.. alright. it was good enough for now. and after wearing that one i do have some ideas on what i can do to improve it and so is doesn't just keep bunching up towards my neck everytime i left up my arms. if i were to not lift up my arms that would be fine i guess but i need my arms.

so my next plan for remaking the capelet is copy what i have now but bigger width and length was and pleat the ends together to make it wrap around my shoulders easier.

ill keep an eye out for a pic of me from the back

if the pics aren't showing up here are the urls

Yeah I would want to see the back, it might be a matter of just not being able to raise your arms much, I usually don't go greater than 90 degrees personally and that usually keeps it simple. I need to work on a better anchor system but 9/10 I'm okay. I threw a first pitch at a baseball game and had my capelet pop out. Otherwise stuff holds up. Your system seems decent I like that it's actually attached.

I think you have a different build than mine. So what I did may not work for you. So here are a couple of ideas for you.

Idea 1: You could try putting some elastic off to the side and below your clips angling up. So it pulls it down and once it "pops" back down the elastic strap will be hidden from view. And more often then not it would probably keep it in place.

Idea 2: Use an elastic strap with velcro sewed on opposite ends and opposite sides of the strap. Sew velcro on your sleeve underneath the capelet and velcro to the underside of the capelet itself. Raise arms...stay in place. Move arms too far then velcro comes apart and does not rip the capelet or your shirt.

Idea 3: Same as 2 but no elastic. Just sew velcro to the capelet and sleeve. But I think this would not provide as much arm movement.

P.S. Geez man, you could have at least let the kid win.