• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Midwest's Darth Talon!

Guest Kaieta

Guest Kaieta

Hi guys!

So I've been steadily working on Darth Talon for about 2 months now, I rushed a good chunk for C2E2 and got a few pictures (no where CLOSE to 501st standards yet). Mostly as a makeup and a confidence test, the Lekku are done a long with the headpiece (Worbla is AMAZING for this by the way). I highly recommend Okashi of Twi'lek Paradise's Lekku I'm tall and they are the perfect length on me!

[attachment=0]417961_10151568803739666_1129376044_n.jpg[/attachment]

Next month I will be heading out to get steel armor made for the metal pieces. Originally I was going to do it in plastic (I used Wonderflex for C2E2 looks terrible) but, I had an opportunity to get the steel armor at cost. I also am rebuilding the bra except for the back piece that you can't see, it had a lot of trouble staying up during the con, and the front clasp was extremely annoying. The boots are also currently getting extended to the proper length and I have 70 cm kid skin gloves on order. The boots literally came to my house a day before c2e2, and were the wrong color! I gave up on the leg armor after I saw that. I also had an issue with my makeup and my skin, luckily Anthony Kosar was at C2E2 and was able to help me figure out what to use next time. Also new stencils since my roommate accidentally melted mine RIGHT before C2E2 so all those tattoos were free-handed by my friend taking a total of 5 hours.

A fellow trooper is helping me mill the Maul saber I have down to basically a tube so I can use Friendly Plastic to make it look like a Legacy era saber and I was able to find a pair of bikini style panties that are made out of leather. Lots of work to be done but, I feel WAY better about it after wearing what I have once.

Thanks for the compliments Michelle :D

Go ahead with your project, you have very clear what needs to change, can write me any questions that you have or you post here.

Gradually I doing tutorials and summaries with the problems and solutions that we meet Darth Talon's costumers.

Thanks and greetings!

Guest Kaieta

So update time!!

I ordered a 72in x 2in tooling strip (dying it myself) to replace the belt piece since the 3 in was wayyyy too wide and 2 more latigo strips to make the back car-wash flap as my friend put it. As I had 2 latigo strips still from screwing up the back part originally I'm going to re-finish them with a tooling finish and use them to become the new front part of her 'bra' I stripped it down, saving only the back part (realized it was built wrong going under the armpit). I'm rebuilding it on a Victoria's Secret Bombshell multi-way taken down to strapless. I currently have the bra 'squared' off on my duct tape dummy and will start shaping the latigo strips once my classes are done next week.

The head piece is getting a coat of gesso after I shave it down a bit, it was a little tight getting it around the ear cones and sat a little too high into the Lekku, luckily it's Worbla! So it's rather simple to fix. 70cm gloves have been ordered and I have a buddy coming over to help me pattern the boot tops for my boots, since flat crotch high boots don't seem to exist.

Once my paycheck from working C2E2 comes in in a few weeks I'll head out and get my armor made. Ended up going with rolled edged steel, it naturally has a slightly-lighter-then gun metal color and is super durable. Because it gets scratched etc during the shaping process it will be even better for Talon

Very good Michelle

Make sure that the strips hanging from the belt not be as long or as wide as in the photo.

I want to see your templates bodypaint before you paint it again. It's hard being rejected by the bodypaint :(

Guest Kaieta

Finnally having time to work, basically I ended up redoing the ENTIRE costume. The bra was 100% wrong (Ribbons and Rivits will be making it for me) I'm redoing the belt, debating on armor weather to stick with the steel ones I'm going to attempt to make or redo my Wonderflex ones. Re-tooled the head piece (it was too wide on my head) and am working on redoing some of the tattoos on my Lekku though I might just say screw it and get another set because my OCD keeps kicking in since I now know like 4 tattoos are in the wrong spot. Also got a huge thing of temporary tattoo paper so I can do the stick on method. Ordered both Wolfe and Reel Creations body paint, and have new boots made.

Almost forgot I also got that saber milled down and have started the sculpt I'll have pictures once the first round is done (friendly plastic/instamorph is a PAIN to work with)

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1053427_647265395285846_2091448731_o.jpg[/attachment]

Start of headpiece 2.0, made the line from the earcone curve to the front straighter, and thinned it out, still working out what I'm going to do to the bottom. The antennae will be made separate and attached later. Thermo Plastic is a wonderful thing.

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1072115_647360018609717_176380143_o.jpg[/attachment]

New boot tops. I have 2 choices for base boots which as soon as I figure out where I put the other ones I'll post them because I'm on the fence about which one to use. The perforation is for stitching velcro on to help prevent the armor from sliding around. That fabric is thicker then it looks and my sewing machine can't handle it.

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1077654_659475960731456_1126266891_o.jpg[/attachment]

Woot! After playing with materials settled on Sintra! this is it after the first round of shaping, that is the base dark grey color, and I have gunmetal auto paint waiting to hit it with once I get to slashing it!

Moving cross country and working on costumes at the same time is terrible :/

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1014183_660579253954460_184544293_n.jpg[/attachment]

And I went a little crazy with the wood burner on these plus ABS+no primer=Paint does not stick (my hand wraps are ABS since I wanted something thinner)

Guest Kaieta

post-1863-142759262604_thumb.jpg

calf piece after first layer of buff and rub, had to quit for the day since I ripped my index finger open doing it *ouch* it'll end up much more gunmetal once I get layer 2 and 3 down

Really aspect of metal! Very Good! of course more dark needed :wink:

Good scars!

Don't forget paint the edges.

Keep it up, cheer!!!

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1093874_661609417184777_741690484_o.jpg[/attachment]

first piece done and lacquered (you can literally see your reflection in it, that copper bit is actually my ceiling fan reflecting in it) is this the right color? The ebony rub and buff kinda ate the pewter base I put down but, it does cross hatch nicely on top of the lacquer if I need to lighten it up. I did some more weathering to which you can't see on this piece. I let my ferrets loose on them so they have a nice beat up texture to them in some places!

Can put black gloves or black fabric near or below to compare?

Please take the photo over far or without flash

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1115965_661791813833204_482627523_o.jpg[/attachment]

Had to wait til daylight

That's USMC Black pleather under it (aka 'true' black), the color seems to fluxuate between almost black and more silvery depending on the light

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]talon.jpg[/attachment]

Bra in! and fits awesomely!!! I apologize for the lack of makeup etc

Also: FEAR MY WHITENESS

I also recently ripped the full Dark Twi'lek model from SWTOR so I'm going to mess with some prosaide transfers to create some detailing when I do her makeup

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]1094046_662044383807947_864995643_o.jpg[/attachment]

Here's the full bra, I laid the back part out so you can see the detail, it velcros ontop of the strap in the back so it appears to be seamless. I'd take more of it on me but, I lack a full length mirror at the moment so it will have to wait til after my move to Atlanta (Which is super sad, going to miss my Midwest Garrison friends).

I also am cobbling together her "Til we meet again" robes that are in the last panels of Legacy, this is mainly for myself so I have a cold weather costume (And to use up all the random black fabric I have) but, I will post pictures later.

Guest Kaieta

[attachment=0]boot1.jpg[/attachment]

Base boot stripped of it's top, I'm using a pair of old winter boots that had the PERFECT angled heel to them, the brown I'll be sharpieing black on the train and I'm going to pretend no one can see the bottom for now...there's a giant hole I need to fill with Silicone and its blue and white

Guest Kaieta

Looks like I might be making 2 sets of armor, I like the sintra's weight but depending on who colors Talon the armor either looks perfect or totally wrong...So Steel set and Sintra set it is!

Move successful! and Dragon Con too! My Saber is off to be sculpted (ended up using a very very basic one from Ultra Sabers as a base) and the duct tape molds of my arms and legs will be done this weekend to be sent to my smith in Chicago! So my new armor will be rolled steel. I'm commissioning more of this costume then I hoped but hey, it will be awesome!!

Gloves acquired!

[attachment=0]gloves.jpg[/attachment]

They pull up higher too it's just SUPER tight right now the lambskin needs to be broken in

Finally not busy as hell! (New place, new job, been a bit nuts)!!! But the good news is I have been back working on Talon! I decided to go with a more aged work on the helm, (I'm adding the 'T' tomorrow), and the leather backing and felt inside will be added too. The rolled steel armor is in the works, along with the boots (should have those done by the end of next week) Aiming for March for next time to wear it!