• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Customizing a saber

Guest FNG1138

Guest FNG1138

Hey Everyone,

I've been shopping around for a good Starkiller TFU saber and find them to be pricey, if I buy one it will most likely be the most expensive component of my costume. The best I've seen was more than a grand, a good one was about $600.

So I got to thinking and wondered if anyone has ever used one of the MR lightsaber construction sets and just made their own pieces to get the look of the saber they want? I feel like I could probably make the parts out of PVC and misc other materials since the parts just slide and lock onto the basic hilt.

Anyone ever seen this attempted or heard of anyone trying it? It would definitely save me some dough.

Thanks,

Adam

FNG1138

Guest FNG1138
Tfu starkiller are expensive i am the proud owner of number 20 of 25 on vaders vault first run. They are selling at 2600 usd now days

If you di get ine you will own history ;)

Yeah, I just dont want to be trooping with the down payment of a car :/

True

have you tried makoto Tsai ? he makes a cheaper version of the star killer saber

from 300 to 600 usd this is his face book page

https://www.facebook.com/makoto.tsai?fref=ts

if you are going to make one i have some pictures of mine in my website

hope they are of help for reference

http://www.alanmolina.co.uk/wip

live4337_384971_10150418003076497_415368514_n.jpg

One big issue with building your own is going to be personal experience and actually knowing each and every flaw of your build.

For me, I went with hiring someone else (been waiting since December, not realistically expecting it until fall). I strongly considered building my own, using CSS and even have a friend who is very very experienced in this area who was willing to help me long-distance. What turned me away was the fact that the cost would likely be about the same to do it myself, except that I would be gambling on my own talent, which while considerable, there is still a strong chance in my inexperience I'd mess it up. And anything that I did mess up I would know about each and every time I looked at the lightsaber.

Sooooo, I decided to pay for my own ignorance. If you do build your own, kudos, document, document, document, and please share. :)

In the mean time, I have my hilts or more often than not, as Revan I opt to not carry and instead have free hands.

Guest FNG1138
True

have you tried makoto Tsai ? he makes a cheaper version of the star killer saber

from 300 to 600 usd this is his face book page

https://www.facebook.com/makoto.tsai?fref=ts

if you are going to make one i have some pictures of mine in my website

hope they are of help for reference

http://www.alanmolina.co.uk/wip

live4337_384971_10150418003076497_415368514_n.jpg

Thanks for the links. Some of the others I've seen out there go for the same price range and offer options like weathering and such. What really drives the price up is the sound features, adds on $100-$200. The more I think about it, the more I'm willing to sacrifice sound. It's a cool feature and ambiance thing when you're out there in costume, but I'm not swimming in money.

I was looking at Savatron's and Saberforge's, and glanced at CSS to see if they had components to build one close to it. Anyone have experience with any of these makers?

Guest FNG1138
One big issue with building your own is going to be personal experience and actually knowing each and every flaw of your build.

For me, I went with hiring someone else (been waiting since December, not realistically expecting it until fall). I strongly considered building my own, using CSS and even have a friend who is very very experienced in this area who was willing to help me long-distance. What turned me away was the fact that the cost would likely be about the same to do it myself, except that I would be gambling on my own talent, which while considerable, there is still a strong chance in my inexperience I'd mess it up. And anything that I did mess up I would know about each and every time I looked at the lightsaber.

Sooooo, I decided to pay for my own ignorance. If you do build your own, kudos, document, document, document, and please share. :)

In the mean time, I have my hilts or more often than not, as Revan I opt to not carry and instead have free hands.

I'm gonna look into doing custom parts for my MR construct kit, it'll be cheap because I'll just use PVC and plumbing parts. I might do a hilt out of PVC too just to toss around and clip on my belt and such. Whatever I do, I'll definitely post pics!

If you want to do your own out of PVC, you should be able to keep the price under $100. Check out Ultra Sabers and TCSS for the internals, but don't even click anything in them for the sound cards. The only think you might need from them that is sound relates is a speaker.

Okay, with that said, go down to your local Walmart and buy one of the Electronic saber toys ($35). Now, go onto TCSS or Ultra Sabers and look up how to install a "Hasbro Economy Board."

You get all the swinging sounds, the hum, and the clash with the price of a toy. However, when you hook it up to the high grade speaker, it sounds like a Master Replicas (or better).

I've done this for a friend already and am doing it for two more (one of which is a Starkiller). I also plan to do the same thing for my Darth Nihilus saber. Heck, I might even start selling the things soon.

Guest FNG1138
If you want to do your own out of PVC, you should be able to keep the price under $100. Check out Ultra Sabers and TCSS for the internals, but don't even click anything in them for the sound cards. The only think you might need from them that is sound relates is a speaker.

Okay, with that said, go down to your local Walmart and buy one of the Electronic saber toys ($35). Now, go onto TCSS or Ultra Sabers and look up how to install a "Hasbro Economy Board."

You get all the swinging sounds, the hum, and the clash with the price of a toy. However, when you hook it up to the high grade speaker, it sounds like a Master Replicas (or better).

I've done this for a friend already and am doing it for two more (one of which is a Starkiller). I also plan to do the same thing for my Darth Nihilus saber. Heck, I might even start selling the things soon.

Thanks for the tips!!!

HELLO!! I took a risk and bought the one off Etsy. (holocron think is the guys name) i mailed the guy first and he assured me he would have it by the date I wanted it, (it arrived 2 weeks early) I own 3 other sabers and I am FAR from an expert, but it looks decent and out the door I paid 120.00.

I ordered the blade around Early May and I got it a week ago now? Was like a 3 week turn around. I told him I wanted it by June 15th

Its soooo CLOSE to what I want, but if I really wanted it to look exactly like the game, this is a great start I feel. I think I can make it look identical to the game for 10$ or less.

I figure even IF I break this thing (works great BTW) Id still be happy for that low of cost

I bought a blade from Ultrasabers a Clip and wheel, and I am set (was 15.00 +shipping)

5-2_zps69659110.jpg

6-2_zps8b303340.jpg

20130608_184624_zps96faae62.jpg

20130603_145853_zps0de4a1c0.jpg

The funny part is.. I ordered my Clip, a Saber and the Wheel from Ultrasabers (great work they do there) the SAME day I ordered my Starkiller, and the Starkiller came first haha