• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Parsley's Sith acolyte Build

Guest commander parsley

Guest commander parsley

Hey guys i am a bit new on this Forum but i have been around Clonetroopers.net for awhile

I have a clonetrooper build of commander appo that i have yet to be approved because of photos haven't been submitted

IMG_1245_zpsdacf8a03.jpg

But now i will start a new build!

Two things arrived in the mail a couple of days ago which i am very excited about!

IMG_1908_zps51a44b9a.jpg

Kev's Tor Jedi Kit

IMG_1959_zps838da7fa.jpg

And Slave1Pilots Sith acolyte Mask

If during the building process anyone has any good hints for me that would be much appreciated!

Guest commander parsley

Just wondering if anyone has any good pics of the strapping they did for the armour?

Guest commander parsley

I have been busy recently trying to get my acolyte ready For an Event called Supanova so here is a quick update on pieces I have completed recently

975578_4355558307093_747417793_n_zpsa4f6500e.jpg

975460_4325330951428_616275274_n_zps9e84dd2f.jpg

975220_4325332191459_1254670288_n_zps12a32c43.jpg

My awesome Ultrasaber!

973787_4325333391489_941727419_n_zpsd60eac3a.jpg

973269_4325329991404_1509171408_n_zps49e8cc18.jpg

972974_4325330351413_78310193_n_zpsd79bec95.jpg

Tell me what you think so far

Guest commander parsley

Ok Supanova Was fast approaching and my acolyte first off decided it wanted to split and crack in the cod area because I had run out of bondo and someone suggested me spot putty(Not using it ever again) That decided it wanted to flake and then crack!

So Past few days I had been running around getting more bondo and getting the acolyte ready and now finally a wearable costume for supanova, my Almost finished Sith acolyte(I Wonder how many people shall call me Vader), also please let me know if I need to make any improvements if I want to get this approved! Much appreciated!

1013807_4453487755268_1627844786_n_zps8988f479.jpg

Ok Supanova Was fast approaching and my acolyte first off decided it wanted to split and crack in the cod area because I had run out of bondo and someone suggested me spot putty(Not using it ever again) That decided it wanted to flake and then crack!

So Past few days I had been running around getting more bondo and getting the acolyte ready and now finally a wearable costume for supanova, my Almost finished Sith acolyte(I Wonder how many people shall call me Vader), also please let me know if I need to make any improvements if I want to get this approved! Much appreciated!

This is not a good pic and so I can't see the neckseal and it seems that the sleeves are too long.

Guest commander parsley

Yeah I don't have my neckseal yet as been really busy, I will definetly get it eventually and yeah the sleeves are a bit long, might be able to fix it

Guest commander parsley

Hey Guys after waiting for some new parts, my acolyte is nearing completion and will hopefully send in first lot of approval photos soon. These photos were taken at an event with my fellow desert scorpions at collectorzone. I can tell my Acolyte is going to cause a lot of crying in the future. Had about 2 kids cry and some hiding behind parents....My bad :P

1233480_4793360891884_1814003300_n_zpsa42d9de0.jpg

me and iron man

542235_10151610507587227_244165935_n_zpsdf4bbc72.jpg

Last part to work on

602819_4769486775046_894319136_n_zpsf37c64d5.jpg

Let me know what you think!

The sleeves seems still too long and the fabric for the cloak too thin.

But of course it just looks like it.

Did you connect the robe somehow to the mask and armor that it won't slip away?

Oh, and btw: Nice shoes :D

Guest commander parsley
Did you connect the robe somehow to the mask and armor that it won't slip away?

Oh, and btw: Nice shoes :D

Nah the robe basically stays like that it blows off sometime and working on getting my sleeves shortened

and yeap they are your shoes ;) and your ab plate, and your neckseal :P

I would say right away:

The mask is not consistent with the rest of the armor

The cloak should not swing open (on your left side I can see the inner face of the cloak).

Can't see any pouches and canister.

Besides that I can't see anything more right now.

Guest commander parsley

Yes some of these things are due to my impatient family suiting me up, but yeah the helmet is a different colour as over here there is not variety in paint, metallic grey is what I used for the armour and the helmet was painted by slave1pilot which I don't want to

Change I will see if I can get a better photo for my pouches and canister, so the robe was due to my dad flipping it over, which I

Didn't see the photos until after :(

Guest commander parsley

here is one where my robe was more revealing to show my pouches and the canister. Once again I had no idea that it had flipped over on the left.

IMG_3355_zpsfd2e5bb5.jpg

I would say right away:

The mask is not consistent with the rest of the armor

The cloak should not swing open (on your left side I can see the inner face of the cloak).

Can't see any pouches and canister.

Besides that I can't see anything more right now.

I have to agree with Wolfgang on these points. I'd recommend looking at trying to find a different darker color for your armor, more consistent with the mask. I think the armor color is actually more of a gunmetal silver color than silver or metallic grey myself. You could also try weathering the armor more heavily, to darken it down. Not sure if this will help or not, but it's worth a shot before repainting. In my opinion, there's just too much difference in the color of the armor compared to the mask. In all your pics the armor is SO MUCH BRIGHTER than the mask! It REALLY stands out even more when using a camera flash, as that tends to wash colors out more anyways! I can see that you have some light weathering on the armor, but I'm not sure if it's enough. You might be able to darken the armor up a bit more by applying a light coat of black acrylic paint with a brush, & then removing it with a paper towel before it dries completely. I've used this technique a number of times on silver armored pieces that needed the paint dulled down & darkened, & have had good luck using this technique. A certain amount of the paint usually seeps into the pores & adheres to the surface you're painting. Just make sure you wipe the paint off right after you put it on, as the longer you wait, the more it'll stick to the surface. You could try experimenting on a piece of scrap material first, to try practicing the technique to see what result you get before you start in on your actual armor. If you're not satisfied with the color, just keep adding more layers of acrylic paint until you've achieved the color you want. The worst that can happen is that you have to repaint the armor, which you may have to do anyways! I WOULDN'T recommend repainting the mask, as it seems to be close to the color of the reference pics.

With regards to the cloak swinging open on the left side, revealing the inside of the cloak, it appears to be doing it still in your last pic too. I guess you did say that you didn't notice it until after the pics were taken though. You also should include some better pics showing some of the costume details, like the belt pouches, & the canister, as your last pic still doesn't show them that well. In general, I'd recommend making sure that your costume is adjusted PROPERLY before taking your submission pics! You want to represent your costume as PROUDLY & ACCURATELY as you can when submitting for approval! TAKE YOUR TIME when suiting up! Look in a mirror, & make sure ALL THE DETAILS ARE RIGHT before taking your pics! I'd also recommend taking your submission pics in front of a neutral background, such as white, or some other light color, to make the costume stand out from the background! Include FULL FRONT, FULL LEFT SIDE, FULL RIGHT SIDE, & FULL BACK VIEWS, along with ANY other DETAILED shots of various components, like the leather belt pouches, canister, hand armor, gauntlets, mask, lightsaber, etc... And while we're talking about making sure parts are on straight & correct, another thing that's bothering me is the neck seal. Is it just me, or does it seem like it's loose fitting on you? In your last pic, it almost looks like the bottom of your mask is nearly inside the top of the neck seal. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to see the top of the neck seal sagging like that. It should be form fitting around your neck, almost like a second skin. It seems way too loose on you. I also think the bottom of your Ab plate should be tucked under the Cod piece & belt better. I actually think your Cod piece is a little lopsided in your pics. You might even try raising it a bit to cover more of the Ab plate. I also personally feel like the claws on the hand armor are too big or tall. It just seems like they're sticking out too far. The surface of them also looks a bit rough, & not totally smooth. What did you make them out of? You may want to remake them out of something else, like 1/8 sintra, or possibly even foam, & then paint & glue them on to the hand plates. I know all my observations may seem unduly harsh to you, but let me assure you that is NOT my intention! I want you to SUCCEED in your costuming endeavors, & I think you've got a GOOD start on things with this costume! Like all things in life however, there's ALWAYS room for improvement! So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY OBSERVATIONS AS CRITICISM! They're just my opinions & observations based on what I see & feel could be improved! HOPE THIS HELPS! Now let's see you make some changes & ROCK THIS COSTUME!!! 8)

Guest commander parsley

Thanks for the info vaderjeff the neck seal was also not fitted on me properly. It was me trying to put in on myself. I don't mind your opinions as well, it's the truth

Thanks for the info vaderjeff the neck seal was also not fitted on me properly. It was me trying to put in on myself. I don't mind your opinions as well, it's the truth

I don't want to repeat vaderjeff's comment. He is correct in the things he saw and now on the last pic I can see especially the problem with the neckseal.

It might help if you fix the piece inside the breastplate with some velcro. This keeps the connector where it should be. At the connectors bottom you should attach it to the abdomen or the belt (maybe rivets).

This is just how did it.... :wink:

The neckseal looks just a little twisted.

Guest commander parsley

So it's been a while but I tried to get some work adjusting my armour to be approved, I started with Redoing some of the cod piece and I also adjusted the paint with a lot of black wash

7E665853-D0AA-4486-9A6E-0ADD2A80E9E6-20210-0000226F5D8C81EC_zpsd76a40db.jpg

Guest commander parsley

Alright with Halloween coming up and a squad troop of trick or treating around a suburb, thought I would try and get this one up and running so it will be one of the scariest things in the dark!! Finally got around to completetly fixing the cod piece and my entire paint job has been weathered to get the closest colour to the colour as I possibly can!!!.....Ohhh god my hands are now black all grit inbetween my nails :P From all the info that I got back from you guys all I need is the pouches and it should be done!!

anyway here are the pics

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Parsl ... t=3&page=1

Sorry for the link my photobucket isn't letting me post in here atm :(

Please tell me what you think! Almost had enough with this costume :( I have my wolffe and 212th clone still to finish and this one is just driving me Nuts as it is!!

Guest commander parsley

Finally doing another update think my acolyte is ready let me know what you think! had a squad mate make me the pouches and adjusted the darkness to match the helmet

IMG_4134n_zpsfb1c39a5.jpg

IMG_4135_zpsbe29ea64.jpg

IMG_4124n_zps5fbb8644.jpg

IMG_4127_zps624264f7.jpg

IMG_4136_zps703615f3.jpg

IMG_4129n_zps40eb6185.jpg

IMG_4148_zpscc74a427.jpg

Parsley,

Overall your build looks good. Couple things I did notice.

1. The weathering seams to be a bit excessive, just a suggestion, paint your armor a solid color and do a dark wash to show the armors detail. I don't believe their armor is that weathered.

2. Looking closely it seems the cannister is not fully painted. Looks like I can see the resin base material.

3. I would paint the inside of your shin armor towards the knee area, depending on how you stand or move you can see the white of the ABS showing.

4. You seem like you have a slimmer build, can't be sure from the photo but it looks like your thigh armor fits loose on the bottom. I would suggest posting some photos without the cloak.

Overall looking good. :))

Guest commander parsley

Thanks for the info I'll dive straight into that, it's good to see that it is nearing the finish line! Oh yeah ihave a slimmer build :P

Guest commander parsley

Alright everyone my kit was deferred the past week as it lacked detail. Keeping in mind this kit was originally a jedi kit done by Kev W, where I modified to make it into the sith version I know others are having issues with this as well so I have done a little bit of research and found things that are making these lack detail compared to the CRL.

First thing is the chest

Acolyte_chest_missing_zps036f9952.jpg

The chest is missing some circular indentations in the marked spots (Any thoughts on how to fix this heat gun maybe)

2nd Thighs

Acolyte_thighs_missing_zps10d67c62.jpg

The Thighs are missing circular indentations and a pattern at the bottom, the back is missing the following marked grooves.(Dremel the detail in perhaps)

3rd Arms

sitharm1_zps308513fd.jpg

now if you have a look at the arm I find that it looks completely different to the Crl's photos

Acolyte_forearms_missing_zpse2d5a3ef.jpg

(ignore the squiggly lines I did on the CRL photos) but if you have a look at the jedi kit version it looks exactly like the ones displayed on the acolyte from the clip but its missing that certain groove that I circled.

4th is Cod piece

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--2Gq ... 4m57s7.png

Now if you pay attention closely to the cod piece it looks a lot like the jedi piece but with a some more detailing to it. including the circular indentations. This photo also gives you a very good definition to what the sith arm should look like, Kevs arm looks like the one in the photo

Also the detailing on the hand plates have a couple of circular indetations on it. I hope this helps for some people who have kevs kit. I also wanted to add I don't want too bag makers of this armour I was just pointing out that it looks different to whats actually shown on the clips,

Thanks please reply to let me know your thoughts as I really want to get this suit approved