• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

COTF Darth Nihilus WIP

Guest 6539

Hello everyone!

So I started out thinking I would only order the Darth Nihilus mask and maaaaybe make the costume one day far far far into the future. But then I got too excited about it and I've decided to make it sooner :) Might take a while though, since I'm studying and don't have that much money to spend. So far I have only ordered the mask and the crown.

I've been looking through this forum and browsing Tandy Leather Factory for all that I need for the belt. But I just have a question: the 2" and the 3/4" belts... Or rather especially the 2" one - will it look OK on someone who's only 5,4/5,5 feet tall? Or do I have to get a smaller belt? I'm actually considering getting big boots and putting some crocs-soles or something in them to gain a few inches hehe but we'll see.

I'll welcome all the advice you have to offer :)

-Sara / TB-6539

First off, welcome to the Darth Nihilus section of the Flagship!

Being a girl, and therefore shorter then all my male sith lord counterparts, I know how you feel. I kept the same measurements for the belt, the 2" blank, and got a boot with a heel to get some extra height. Knowing that I added some height to my lower half, I wear my belt and obi lower on my body to give the illusion of being taller. I wear the belt very low on my hips, almost around my bottom. My 'skirting' it also super long and goes all the way to the ground to hide my feet entirely.

If you add height to the lower half with heels, then wear the belt and obi lower to keep a somewhat proportional look. The best thing to do if you are unsure, cut strips of paper into different widths and take a look in the mirror and see how they look on you. Cut a piece of paper that will represent the obi width, and one that will represent the belt width. If they look like they are taking up your entire torso, then you will probably need to go with something smaller. I go through a lot of paper in my costume making process.

In the end it needs to fit you and you alone. If 2" ends up looking ridiculously large on you, then go with something smaller that will give the costume the most accurate look. While it is good to try and follow the CRL as closely as possible, sometimes tweeks and adjustments have to be made to fit the person wearing the costume to make it look good.

I hope this has made sense and has been helpful!

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks Nef! That was very helpful :D I never thought about lowering the belt to make it look more proportional, that's a great idea! And as for the skirt I also wanted to make it long enough to hide the boots - that way the big boots or heels won't be visible hehe... And I know what you mean, CRLs are one thing but being small we have to modify stuff to make it look right on us. I had to make quite a few adjustments to my Biker Scout as well, but it turned out well in the end, fitting me and only me and still looking good :) I reckon that's the way to go with costumes.

I will definitely try out the paper-tip you wrote about, that way I will know if it's too big or not :) Thanks a bunch!

Personally, I wear a 3" and 1" belt, just as I do with my Jedi. I'm 6'4" (6'6 in my Nihilus) and it is proportional to me. I'd say fake one out of construction paper before you buy it to see what looks good on you.