• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Darth Nihilus WIP (V2.0 In Progress)

ghostred7

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sakara
Sounds like Maplins is your "Wal-Mart" :-P

Nah it aint that wonderous...its mainly for electronic stuff but ive picked up some cool stuff to make costumes.

Walmart now own one of our hypermarkets in the UK...but sadly no fabric or guns as yet.... :lol:

I digress....it's your "Radio Shack" ;-P

get it & play with it....it's pretty good to mix with paper clips to make little figures...i'm going to be doing some stop-motion animation with a "Friendly Plastic" tutorial I found.

Here's some pics of me in the unfinished tunics (distressing still needs to be done) + "under skirt"

Disclaimer: These were taken with a cellphone, so they aren't that great of quality.

I'm hoping to get more done tonight or over the weekend.

nihilus_me_half.jpg

nihilus_me_torso.jpg

nihilus_me_torso_bw.jpg

Here's the first pic of the nearly completed one....img quality is still horrid, but is what I had. Note: waiting on the gloves to come in...i had to do some photoshopping on my hands

nihilus_me_nogloves.jpg

Funny you should say that....when I do my next photo session (and have someone other than a timer & tripod to take my pic), i'm putting a fan on the floor while i'll be doing my greenscreen pix (which this was, but i'm missing my bulbs for my other 1000watts of lights)

Here are the latest pics....sorry...no fans & outlets walking around D*C. Included is a better shot of how the arms were done.

imh_nihilus1.jpg

imh_nihilus2.jpg

imh_nihilus_arms.jpg

imh_nihilus_jango.jpg

imh_nihilus_clone1.jpg

imh_nihilus_clone2.jpg

I didn't get any pics of me on Saturday (my better looking day) after I did some on the spot fixes w/ D's help (w00t @ D :-D ) and the cowl part of the cape draped a lot better.

Here are more from my camera....I've been hesitant in sharing these b/c either the camera was acting up or my cowl was (these were before the "pinning"). Naturally, because my camera decided to be a pain and breakdown before I got into costume on Saturday...i have no pix of when the cowl was cooperating (have since D*C started revising).

nihilus_501st_table.jpg

Ugh...broken lens w/ no focus...i liked my stance though.

nihilus_blurry1.jpg

nihilus_demon1.jpg

nihilus_motf_outside.jpg

Mythbusters build team

nihilus_mythbusters.jpg

I know you were paying attention to the background.

nihilus_dawns_bg.jpg

Some of us "Jawja" folks

nihilus_swga.jpg

nihilus_vader.jpg

nihilus3.jpg

Any my two faves so far off my cam

traya_nihilus1.jpg

and

Sith the Vote 2008!!!

nihilus_pres.jpg

Those are some great looking pics!

Thanks!

I should of waited for Gothiclysm to get home, but I was so geeked about getting them done, i got impatient...so some things aren't wearing perfectly...but all-in-all, considering I didn't have anyone w/ me...i'm happy with the results.

Basically was 3point lighting:

2 lights on the backdrop and 1 on me (total of 1500watts)....that in a 11' x 14' bedroom = baking...i felt like a Thanksgiving turkey :P

i like the underrobes,theyre good..nice and tattered :D

But im thinking the cape could do with being longer..touching the floor almost. Not sure about the smocking on the back of the cape either... :?:

Thx for the input! I dunno what smocking even is :P The only CotF picture doesn't show the back of the cape.

As for the length....the figure & picture suggest mid-calf/upper-calf to me, which is why it's the length it is. That's about the only thing that I was deliberate in (go figure). If you look at the CotF mini, there's no way that were that "real" robes that it would fall the the ankle.

cotf.jpg

Not saying either of us is wrong or right, but this is my interpretation of the source images available.

Ah i was looking at this

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... um=5&pos=2

although the image has been cropped so you cant see the ends of the cape, in the full version of this image the cape is longer...its blowing out and seems shorter..i think that may be the thing with the mini too....

Smocking is that gathering on the back of the cape :D

ooohhhhh @ the "smocking" (i'll learn these terms one of these days)

If need be, taking that out is only a cpl of threads away ;)

Even if part of the cape (referring to the image, not mini) is supposed to be ankle length...the distressing goes up farther...which makes it really hard to tell. Couple that with the mini and the KOTOR2 concept pic (ya, concept pic...supposed to be for K2, but the costume drawn/painted is same as CotF with the hood & cape attached, distressing, etc).

My thought process on the length is this:

Just as the LMO mentioned in another thread, the KOTOR2 version is him in his "prime" in which the cape was ankle length. Add 'x' amount of years of tattering/distressing/wearing down/etc, it would take the length off of. Granted, once again, this is my personal interpretation.

In either case, I appreciate your feedback and am not trying to be argumentative (please don't take it as my being so, as that's not the case)....i just wanted to inform of my interpretation and reasoning behind doing the cape that way.

Guest Anonymous

So the Kotor 2 length of the cape is to the Ankles...and you're arguing that it therefore follows that the cape would be shorter after additional wear? Perhaps there is a story that I don't know about (I don't actively follow the Kotor Comics), but Nihilus is killed at the end of Kotor 2. Right? Haha - get me caught up I am apparently missing something :P

Nah thats cool, and dont think im having a go at your costume, just suggesting ideas from what i can see!... :D

I didn't think you were raggin' on it at all. I know that's (suggestions based on observation) is what you're doing and I truely appreciate it...i know it sounds like i'm being defensive, but I'm not at all. Oh...and I forgot to use the fan for the pics too :P but if i put the camera high enough to look "down" on me, it'd be in the ceiling fan - I'm 6'2" and ceiling is only 7' ....not much room for creative angles....i WILL do a recreation of that CotF pic eventually tho ;)

So the Kotor 2 length of the cape is to the Ankles...and you're arguing that it therefore follows that the cape would be shorter after additional wear? Perhaps there is a story that I don't know about (I don't actively follow the Kotor Comics), but Nihilus is killed at the end of Kotor 2. Right? Haha - get me caught up I am apparently missing something :P

Basically, ya. Dunno where/how/if they filled in the storyline, but there's 2 versions of Nihilus, KOTOR & Champions of the Force. In Champions of the Force, there's tattering/distressing/etc ....i've been looking for the "backstory" or timeline for CotF and have not been able to find it....so I had to envision "my" own. Also, "killed" is used loosely for Nihilus b/c he's nothing more than an energy/entity that bound his force to the mask/armor. In the game, all that's left is his mask...but based on the fact that he was nothing more than energy to begin with (@ the start of the game), then maybe he really didn't "die" then, but the game leads to that belief.

As for the comics, i haven't seen the gap filling story there either...i know there's "Unseen, Unheard" but that more or less is a prequel to the game b/c it's where Nihilus first gets Visas. There's also an appearence in Legacy 5, but that's as a holocron.

Ultimately I **presume** that the KOTOR & CotF timelines/stories are somehow independant of each other. Even when he appears in Legacy --5, i can see a cowl that looks separated (mask is different than both KOTOR & CotF) from the cape, which is KOTOR cowl.

It's only in this one volume that I know of....even then it's just a holocron. He's there b/c Krayt is being a whiney baby...and LMO (ok....well Bane, but LMO's likeness :P ) is telling him that he's a pretender and has defiled the Sith teachings.

From Dark Horse Comics issue preview (all images/text © Dark Horse Comics):

swleg5p2.jpg

swleg5p3.jpg

In lighter news....instead of waiting like I was....i'm going to try & do my CotF art reproduction sometime this week hopefully. I've made a cpl mods and have a balaclava instead of what I had before....so hopefully it'll get done.

Guest Anonymous

Im going to start to put together Nihilus...I will be trying like you to make my own mask. My question...what seems to be the best mold to use. Also I have seen Poly-resin mix, and yours. Which seems to be more easier to work with. Thanks, Jeff

Guest Cleverlilminx

Hey you live near Hershey PA... I live roughly 90 minutes from you!!! :D

Maybe I can offer some help to a local sith in training. :lol: