• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Acolyte Robe discussion

Guest Toddo

I know there has been discussion about the robes, such as length and sleeve stripes such as painted vs sewn. I'm wondering what the consensus is on material for the robe. What are you guys using for your robes?

I think any material will work as long as the texture is proper, definitely not see through and it needs to lay nicely so avoid thicker stiff materials. I have a cotton blend and used crimson red fabric paint for the stripes, just lay the paint on thin otherwise it stiffens up and becomes too bright. As for length mine comes to my heels without boots, saves damage when wearing it but still has the proper look.

There's others who have found a seamstress who is making them and dying the red into the sleeves, I'm waiting for there reply and if it looks good and is high quality I'll order one as well; let me know if you're interested.

Hope any of my babbling helps you with your decision and good luck with your costume.

Thanks Nipshank. I was starting to wonder if anyone would reply. Someone else recommended a gabardine material like is often used in Vader capes as it flows nicely.

NP Toddo, anytime I can help let me know. I've done a lot of research on this costume and have one almost completed. Once done I'll post pics, just gotta do paint on the armor and should be all good. Have you checked out Anchorhead outpost's Sith Acolyte? It's insane seriously.

what sort of fabric paint are you guys using for the stripes? I looked at Joann's, and there is both spray and brush-on. I thought it looked more like a brush-on sort of thing, but I'm interested in hearing what has worked for others.

Yeah Martha Stewart's fabric paint is also washable, although I don't like the lady she does put out nothing but quality products. I'd still like to find a dyed robe, anyone know a seamstress who creates quality work and is able to accomplish that?

Guest daennika

I started thinking about making the robe myself with a couple of tutorials... and today I bought around 6 yards of this, a poly-cotton blend which I don't remember much about. It flows nicely, has a bit of weight to it and is not transparent.

small_fabric2.jpg

For me, most importantly, it's not a fur magnet. I own cats, and a big fluffy dog. We don't want to see a hairy Acolyte now, do we.

Hello everyone !!!

Maxi here !!

as you know I'm already working on my sith acolyte armor but I have a little problem!

I list my sith acolyte robes but problems with the red lines

someone could help me by telling me the measurements of the red lines.

and painting or method can be used to paint fabric tunic.

fabric I'm using is not very shiny black velvet !!

from already thank you very much for your help !!

best regards

Maxi from Argentina, Buenos Aires

I like Jacquard fabric paints once set they are washable and dry cleanable. http://www.dickblick.com/products/jacqu ... le-colors/

I used this product on my robe and it turned out great. I put a layer of tape down at the border to help paint a straight line, and the small amount of paint that seeped under the tape makes the red stripes look more authentic in my opinion.

The bottoms stripe is about 2.5 inches wide and the top is about .5 inches, with appoximatley 2 inch gap between them

8A28C9BD-8A26-481E-A2A4-3886917C778C_zps52dqvupt.jpg