• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan - Mask

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In this post are comparison images of various Revan masks. Again, hopefully this will spark discussion and maybe even inspire potential Revan costumers to make their own stab at sculpting! I think it's interesting to see the variations in the sculpts. I will add masks for comparison as I find them.

s640x480.jpg

On the left, obviously, is the mask directly from the game graphics. Any questions, just direct them my way and I'll do my best to answer them.

In case anybody is wondering, the reason why my mask - 3rd from left - has a relatively wider (top to bottom) eyeslit is so that I can actually see in the mask. *grin*

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

The only one that is, technically speaking, "canon" is the one on the far left, which is the actual graphic of the mask from the game. However, as far as I understand, all of the other masks are parts of costumes that have been accepted into the 501st.

Actually, I need to add another one as well, from a member of the boards who recently completed HER mask and it's mostly cardboard and looks AMAZING.

So, canon is the design straight from the game. The others are costume replicas of same.

:)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

This link is NOT about making a Revan mask. It's a link to a tutorial on how I made Frodo's orc armor mask from Return of the King. However, since I made the mask from a batting helmet, mod podge, newspapers and wireform (and a lot of paint) it could be a leaping-off point for people looking to make a Revan mask from something cheaper than resin, etc. And since Xeco made such an amazing mask from cardboard, it made me think, Hmmm, maybe I should post this, just in case someone has interest.

Link here (sorry that the costume is off-topic, but hopefully the techniques are useful):

http://www.scendan.com/frodohelm.html

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for sharing your tutorial Carolyn, that is one very cool looking mask

One could take those techniques to the dark side and produce a Revan mask :D

Guest Anonymous

Definitely, I think. And it'd be considerably cheaper, if not less labor intensive, than resin. Although, since I have a sculpt I will just keep dinking with it until satisfied.

- Carolyn

Guest braea_kast

The mask to the far right is being offered on ebay, so I am assuming that it is approved under the 501st costuming standards. I am actually looking at purchasing it so that I can concentrate more on the other aspects of the costume.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks,

Braea_Kast

Guest Anonymous

I am not certain if that one has been part of an approved costume or not...it may have, just not sure. I will try to find out for you, or if the CloneEmperor surfs by here, he might have some input as well.

- Carolyn

Guest braea_kast

I know that this person has sold quite a few of those masks, including a few of them to some "tk" numbers. I just want to make sure that everything I do is within the up and up so that I can be accepted as a Dark Lord as you were.

I am a theatre graduate and have extensive work within the costuming department. I used to have to do every kind of costume construction from Renaissance to modern. I have even called upon the services of my old "mentor" and teacher from college, just in case I run into any snags with the pattern design.

I know this is that mask forum, but I noticed something while watching one of the movie sequences from the original KOTOR game in reference to Revan... It seems, that when he walks, the chestplate does not move, giving it a distinctive separate partition from where the cowl and chestplate start.

The movie scene I am talking about is the DANTOOINE VISION cutscene. Watch when Revan walks into the Star Map room. His shoulders move, while the chestplate does not.

Thank you again for all of your help. Your web site and tutorial and are awesome.

May the Force serve you well.

Braea_Kast

Guest Anonymous

Well, remember that the animations in KOTOR are sometimes a little dicey. However, if you want to pursue this further in the armor section, we can discuss. I'm not quite certain what you mean as regards the construction of the armor, but happy to discuss in detail in the other section. :)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

At last - okay so here I am finally. Going to be completely revisiting and revising my armor in June - so look forward to it with me!

SL9243

Guest Anonymous

The mask to the far right, the one made by BigWater99 would I am certain be accepted. I myself have one as well as my Way of Myth. My only suggestion to the BigWater is to bondo the forehead and get rid of the brow that should not be there. I am doing so with my mask today and will post up once I am done. I think the brow detracts from the "faceless" mask look and gives a bit too much facial character and detail.

Alexis

*smiles*

Guest Anonymous

My question is regarding the smoked plastic visor. I have a "wayofmyth" mask, and no matter what I do, the plastic film fogs up when I wear the mask. As it is, the slit is hard to see out of and when it fogs up, fuh geta about it!!

Can I remove the plastic and replace it with black gauze which will cover my eyes but still let me see out without fogging up?

Apart from the inconvenience of not being able to see, I am actually a liability as I tend to step on the feet of all around me as I stumble around in my armor!

Guest Anonymous
My question is regarding the smoked plastic visor. I have a "wayofmyth" mask, and no matter what I do, the plastic film fogs up when I wear the mask. As it is, the slit is hard to see out of and when it fogs up, fuh geta about it!!

Can I remove the plastic and replace it with black gauze which will cover my eyes but still let me see out without fogging up?

Apart from the inconvenience of not being able to see, I am actually a liability as I tend to step on the feet of all around me as I stumble around in my armor!

Have you tried using anti-fog drops? You should be able to pick some up at any dive store. I know depending on the brand they work most of the time, might be worth giving them a try to help stop the fog blindness! :D

Guest Anonymous

I use that mask as well, but I added foam to areas around the temples, forehead, bridge of the nose and chin, I also an underarmor mask so my nose is tucked in and It stays fog free everytime, plus keeps it directly off my face.

Guest Anonymous
I use that mask as well, but I added foam to areas around the temples, forehead, bridge of the nose and chin, I also an underarmor mask so my nose is tucked in and It stays fog free everytime, plus keeps it directly off my face.

Yes and with that spectacular mask you have been lovingly dubbed, Darth Who. :twisted:

Guest Anonymous

Exactly which underarmour mask are you using? I am still having a heck of a time with my mask fogging up. I have tried the anti-fog drops. I have tried padding the mask to get it off my face. I have a balaclava mask, but it seems to make the situation worse because it seals in the heat to cause more fogging. Any advice is very appreciated

Guest Anonymous

I use a half face balaclave. Then I took a piece of foam padding and mounted it sticking staight up from the inside of the mask about the middle of my nose the combination of the axhaust hole on the balaclava forces the breathe downwards and then the foam acts like a wall between the middle of my nose and the eye piece and it prevents it from fogging up.

Guest Anonymous

I thought I'd add my two cents, having sculpted my own mask....under Carolyn's advice (even though she didn't know who I was at the time...) It was accepted into the 501st, so I figure I did an OK job... I used clear plastic for the visor and lined the back of it with sheer black fabric.

It's not so bad fogging, but I cheated and cut breathing holes in the bottom ... which you can't see....

revansmask1.jpg

RevanWithSaberglowing.jpg:D

Guest Anonymous

First of Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum but it appears as if everyone is super friendly and very helpful. I am currently working on a Darth Revan costume and I have one question that has become important to me and I can't find a legit answer anywhere. I am of the firm belief that Darth Revan is wearing a helmet not a mask, though i understand the want to use a mask in costuming cause of airflow and all that goodness. But is there a canonical answer to be found has anyone come out and said No this is definitely a mask. It seems to be the same issue with those who choose to only do the front armor and forgo the back armor as it is always concealed anyway, just a convenience of the costume.

I have thought about it and pretty much no one really wears a mask it is always a helmet and why would Revan be any different he is a fairly well armored individual like a Bobba Fett so why wouldn't it be a complete helmet (besides the fact that with very slight adjustments its very mandalorian/fettish? Seriously what is the protective advantage of a mask...wouldn't you want a helmet? It just seems more practical and logical that it would be a helmet, just like you would want the armor to cover the front and back of the chest and abdomen or what would be the point? I've found some people out there who seem VERY certain that it is just a plain mask? Is there any proof of this. I am just very curious about this and was curious if anyone knew any better. :D

Guest Anonymous
First of Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum but it appears as if everyone is super friendly and very helpful. I am currently working on a Darth Revan costume and I have one question that has become important to me and I can't find a legit answer anywhere. I am of the firm belief that Darth Revan is wearing a helmet not a mask, though i understand the want to use a mask in costuming cause of airflow and all that goodness. But is there a canonical answer to be found has anyone come out and said No this is definitely a mask. It seems to be the same issue with those who choose to only do the front armor and forgo the back armor as it is always concealed anyway, just a convenience of the costume.

I have thought about it and pretty much no one really wears a mask it is always a helmet and why would Revan be any different he is a fairly well armored individual like a Bobba Fett so why wouldn't it be a complete helmet (besides the fact that with very slight adjustments its very mandalorian/fettish? Seriously what is the protective advantage of a mask...wouldn't you want a helmet? It just seems more practical and logical that it would be a helmet, just like you would want the armor to cover the front and back of the chest and abdomen or what would be the point? I've found some people out there who seem VERY certain that it is just a plain mask? Is there any proof of this. I am just very curious about this and was curious if anyone knew any better. :D

I'm no expert, but from all of the reference material I've seen, it's only a mask. Not necessarily for armor purposes, but definately for concealment of identity. I think it would be awesome for someone to reinterpret it into a full helmet though......

Here you go... an easy to view example. He's only taking a mask off. It curves up over the top and sides of his head, but doesn't go around the back. I imagine that the pause while he is reaching up under his hood is when he's unsnapping the straps that hold it on. To remove a full helmet, he would have had to remove his hood first. (The player gets to choose what face is revealed when he removes the mask, btw. There are various options.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbN4pwJquLU

All of our research and findings while we were writing the standards pointed to it being a mask. It goes up to the top of the head and not over the back. It really doesn't matter for costuming purposes which you'd rather make, since most of the head is concealed by the hood. For 501st purposes, it's a mask. But if you wish for comfort purposes to wear a complete helmet (thus not having straps around the back of your head), you're welcome to make it a helmet because nobody will know what's under the fabric. Of course, a full helmet holds in more body heat, but we tend to be accustomed to that in the legion.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Awesome

First thanks for the fast and helpful feedback! Also how did I not see that video before. I think I will go for the helmet (of course I would still like to hear what others think!). I can still see the unlatching movement as being part of a helmet do to the concept of say Vader's helmet being two pieces and being able to kinda remove it in a similar manner. Hard to see what is still hidden in that dark hood...boo to video game physics, haha!

Guest Anonymous

It's deffinantly a mask when looking at the in game graphics but if you talk to Uthura Ban on Korriban she does state that "Revan was known for wearing a full helmet and cape" so....

Here's a good pic of the mask during the unmasking scene.

darthrevanumaskeing.jpg