• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Quetion about Lycra (Darth Nihilus related)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So with my Nihilus I was having issues trying to figure out what to cover my head with so I just used a sleave from under armor shirt to cover up my face and head but after a while, that would get really tight and uncomfortable. So the other day I had a great Idea. I picked up one of those all black morph suits. The hood part is perfect, where it gets a little tricky is this. The only way to get in and out is through the zipper in the back (kinda like a wet suit) . What I thinking about doing is to make a cut at the writs of the suit that way I can take the gloves off and just fold them back that way I can free up my hands. What I want to know since the suit is made out of Lycra is this something that could hurt the integrity of the suit and will start to come apart?

If you are cutting the fabric you are going to want to hem it to stop it from unravelling. Don't just cut it and wear it! If you know someone with a serger, they could also finish the edge for you. With any fabric, and especially stretch fabric, you have to worry about stress on the seams. Depending on how much pull is on the seams of the suit, it will eventually over time start to pull. If you do notice areas that are starting to pull (usually areas that bend, like elbows and knees) then you can add another row of stitches to re-enforce the area. The other thing is keep velcro away form it! It likes to pull Lycra and then you get that fuzzy look on the fabric.

If you find that the mask gets too uncomfortable pressing on your face, you can use a theatre neutral mask. It's what I have. Basically I have a Male blank plastic mask painted black with some foam added for padding against my face. Then I put the spandex black out mask over that. The plastic mask takes the pressure off of my face and it's quite comfortable. Also being a girl, the male mask gives me the appearance of a more manly nose and jaw under the white Nihilus mask, hehe.

Here is the type of mask I have: http://donshobbyshop.ca/index.php?page= ... catid=2052

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Aysel

if you don't have access to a serger try to find a sewing machine that does a stretch fabric stitch.

^_^ Katie