• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Traya (in progress) Picture help needed

Guest Eglantine

Guest Eglantine

Hello! New to the forums, and working on a Darth Traya (my first foray into the world of 501st costuming). I have a few progress pictures for critiquing, and welcome any tips and pointers!

-Eglantine

Welcome to Flagship!

It looks to me like you're off to a great start, and you've already made some smart decisions. It's good to wait on the hems until you have all of the pieces. (I've made the mistake of hemming a dress only to find that it was too short once I had the boots on, so it's good to see somebody else avoiding that frustration!)

The pins on the front.... are those holding closed a seam, or the two sides of a true robe? We call it a robe because that's what it reminds us of with the loose fabric and big sleeves, but it really is an outer dress that is only open to the waist. Just to make sure, the front below the waist should have a closed seam, and you pull it on over your head.

DarthTrayaBelt.jpg

The sleeves and hood might be considered a bit too big in volume, though that appearance may change as you continue to finish the costume. It's one of those "wait and see the final look" instances.

normal_DarthTrayaFront.jpgnormal_DarthTrayaBack.jpg

Looking nice so far!

Pam :-)

Guest Eglantine

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Yes, I was worried the sleeves may have too much volume. I left in a mechanic whereby I can take up a fairly good amount of it, and may do, as I don't think any further parts of the costume will affect the sleeve all that much. The hood, though is just sitting on my verey non-fluffy brown hair. by the time I have the headderss underneath, I hope it won't look so large.

The pins are holding it closed, but the final iteration of the robe will be closed down the front (from the waist), too. I was toying with the idea of finding a way to attach fasteners to the inside, so it would look seamless, and I wouldn't have to pull it over my head. Further thinking along that route has me deciding that doing that much small handwork is more of a hassle than pulling something over my head! It's going to get sewn closed. :-)

More work on sleeves, tonight, and the wimple.

I'm torn on making a covering for my entire head, then assempling the headdress and wig to just fit over that, or incorporating the wimple piece into the headdress, itself, and the whole thing will just sit down over my hair.

-Eglantine

Guest Aysel

what you could do is make a mock up of each head design and see which is more comfortable for you, I know it's more work, but you'll have the most comfortable design after that.

Guest Eglantine

So, in the mocking up of the headdress, I have discovered my internal concept of the size of my head is WAY off. I guess I thought I was a bobble head or something, but I had to cut it way down a couple of times. So far, so good, I guess. I hope so! I've got the wig and boots on their way.

-E

I've had a similar problem trying to figure out the sizing of decorations on the forehead of my Twi'lek headwraps... it's hard to judge the size until it's actually on your forehead!

So far, so good!

Pam :-)

Guest Eglantine

Okay, here I am back and working on the costume again! June was taken up by vacations and such, and now my husband is studying for the bar. Him studying means I have time to work on all my stuff...in my efforts to leave him in peace and quiet!

-E

Guest Eglantine

The belt!

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+a.JPG

The back of the hood to show the point!

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+b.JPG

My feet! er...the boots! My feet are inside them! :wink:

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+c.JPG

Head shot!

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+d.JPG

Full Front

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+e.JPG

With hood up!

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+g.JPG

The side shots accompany my initial submission! Ready and awaiting the comments! :-)

Guest Eglantine

Hello again! Still trying to work along on getting this costume completed. It's had it's glitches and the current ones seem to be trying to photograph it.

When I take the pics off my camera on to my computer, I can see every wrinkle and fold in the fabric and even the wig filaments wisping in the air from the wind, but somewhere in transit through email, they are ending up dark and low resolution. Ideas for help with this. My camera was set for outdoor lighting in the most recent shoot. I am not a photographer, though...I don't even have Instagram! :D

Here's a link to my blog where I uploaded them, and I'll link just a couple here.

http://betweeniandj.blogspot.com/2012/09/more-traya-pictures.html

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+Traya+01.JPG

Elizabeth+Outar+1-25-71+Traya+02.JPG

these are good enough ^_^ trim your hair about 2 inches, it's a tad long. As for the wispy hairs you can fix that with transparent hair nets in the hood thingy.

Guest Eglantine

Woot! So excited! :D I literally did a dance at my computer!

Okay, on the hair trimming, do I just need 2 inches off the bottom and leave the hair bands where they are? Or move the bands up at all?

-E

get the picture that shows her straight on, trim the 2 inches off, then move the bands up so they match the picture. the aim of trimming the hair is so that the end lands just above the mid breast line, you'll see what I mean when you compare the pictures ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Eglantine

My Darth Traya passed!! :D

I got word via email from my GML today, and I am super excited!

SL-12571 (one of the nifty new five digit ones!)

Thank you for the help, and now my husband says I get to help him with his Darth Nihilus!...

Yay!!...wait, wut? :o

-E

....putting the wig on it's stand for a trim!

My Darth Traya passed!! :D

I got word via email from my GML today, and I am super excited!

SL-12571 (one of the nifty new five digit ones!)

Thank you for the help, and now my husband says I get to help him with his Darth Nihilus!...

Yay!!...wait, wut? :o

-E

....putting the wig on it's stand for a trim!

teehee, congratulations! if he's doing COTF Nihilus it's easy, if he's doing KOTOR Nihilus it's not so easy ^_^

^_^ Katie