• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Nihilus for examination

Guest Darksyde

Guest Darksyde

I'm new to all of this and this is my first suit, but any comments are welcome. I am trying to get into the Star Garrison and they suggested I check in here first. I know the inside pics are hard to see, I will try and get some outside this weekend weather permitting.

384411_10150429165475380_648895379_10752748_1775042097_n.jpg

389245_10150429166540380_648895379_10752774_1768682662_n.jpg

301309_10150429166400380_648895379_10752772_469541364_n.jpg

383327_10150429166470380_648895379_10752773_1962657098_n.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

Guest Aysel

first off, Hello and welcome to your detachment, Flagship Eclipse ^_^

now for the all important part; your costume ^_^

At first glance it looks pretty good, but I want our costume mentors to give you a break down of what they see. The one thing I will tell you is that Nihilus's saber does not hang from his belt, he always carries it, if you've got a hook attached to your belt for the saber it will have to be removed before approval. Also (and the costume mentors will probably bring this up as well) the fabric by the sides of the mask, if you could bring that in a little it would improve the look of your face area. ^_^

This will give you a place to start with your improvements before the costume mentors get to you ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Darksyde
first off, Hello and welcome to your detachment, Flagship Eclipse ^_^

now for the all important part; your costume ^_^

At first glance it looks pretty good, but I want our costume mentors to give you a break down of what they see. The one thing I will tell you is that Nihilus's saber does not hang from his belt, he always carries it, if you've got a hook attached to your belt for the saber it will have to be removed before approval. Also (and the costume mentors will probably bring this up as well) the fabric by the sides of the mask, if you could bring that in a little it would improve the look of your face area. ^_^

This will give you a place to start with your improvements before the costume mentors get to you ^_^

^_^ Katie

Thanks. I clipped the saber on just for convenience, but it's not a problem to remove the clip. And the hood has given me the most trouble. It tends to be cumbersome with the weight of the cape on it.

Guest Aysel
Thanks. I clipped the saber on just for convenience, but it's not a problem to remove the clip. And the hood has given me the most trouble. It tends to be cumbersome with the weight of the cape on it.

Good to know that about the saber. This is why I like to call this costume "defying the laws of physics with fabric" (it's a long nickname but it fits) because fabric just doesn't want to move or sit the way the costume dictates, but believe me it can be done. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Hey! Star Garrison! That's where I am! Where abouts are you? I'm in the Central Texas Squad area.

About the costume- I know that they told me to cross the tunics less tightly; they should only slightly cross and should do so right around your stomach so that you get more of an open look.

This Nihilus is in really good shape from what I can see. Let's pick it apart a little, shall we?

No lightsaber hanging from the belt.

Make sure that your tunics are closed right side over the left. And loosen them up a wee bit. That way we can see the two tunics.

If possible, try to give us a photo that shows both skirts and their front split.

Your under-mask looks a little loose on your throat. Tighten it up if you can. I wear one made of a spandex-like material that clings pretty well.

The obi looks too wide. It only needs to be two inches wider than your belt.

To help counter the effects of the cloak pulling back on your hood, I suggest adding either Velcro or hook and eye closures to the shoulders of your outer tunic and the underside of your cloak where it lays on your shoulders. This will accomplish two things... first, it would ease some of the pressure of your cloak pulling back on your hood and second, it would help to shape your hood's drape along the sides of your mask. You may also want to consider trimming an inch or two from the bottom of your cloak. That would save you from stepping on it and pulling your hood back even more.

The lightsaber is good.

Your sleeves look good as well.

I'm also satisfied with the weathering. It's not usual for the weathering to be done so well right off the bat. Good job!

Guest Darksyde

Ok, I finally got around to getting some pics done. I took the obi in some and tried to get the hood to lay better for the pics but it was a bit windy today. Hope these help some. I also added Nihilus audio tracks to the costume through an iPod so I can loop them.

DSC_2749.jpg

DSC_2750.jpg

DSC_2751.jpg

DSC_2754.jpg

DSC_2752.jpg

DSC_2753.jpg

DSC_2755.jpg

DSC_2756.jpg

DSC_2757.jpg

DSC_2748.jpg

DSC_2764.jpg

DSC_2763.jpg

DSC_2762.jpg

DSC_2759.jpg

DSC_2760.jpg

DSC_2761.jpg

It's looking really good. One thing I noticed is the knot under the chin shouldn't have visible "tails". They should be sew in and behind so the ends don't stick out. It ends up being a permanent knot when you wear the costume that never comes undone. I have to pull mine over my head before I put the mask on, so make sure you leave enough space to get your head through (i didn't the first time, my roommate got a good laugh).

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Darksyde
It's looking really good. One thing I noticed is the knot under the chin shouldn't have visible "tails". They should be sew in and behind so the ends don't stick out. It ends up being a permanent knot when you wear the costume that never comes undone. I have to pull mine over my head before I put the mask on, so make sure you leave enough space to get your head through (i didn't the first time, my roommate got a good laugh).

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks, that's easy enough to change. Hopefully that is all that needs to be done.

I am seeing improvement here.

The obi is perfect now. Well done.

You know to tuck and sew those knot ends out of sight.

In the sunlight, your blackout mask is relatively transparent and the throat is still loose. I still recommend something tighter and a smidge thicker. We shouldn't be able to see you through the mask, even in direct light.

You may want to trim that cloak a bit so that it doesn't drag on the ground. It's not a big deal and shouldn't affect the costume's acceptability, though.

So fix the ends of the cloak knot out of sight and I really recommend a new (tighter and thicker) blackout mask.

Overall, it looks really good and I like what I see.

Guest Darksyde
I am seeing improvement here.

The obi is perfect now. Well done.

You know to tuck and sew those knot ends out of sight.

In the sunlight, your blackout mask is relatively transparent and the throat is still loose. I still recommend something tighter and a smidge thicker. We shouldn't be able to see you through the mask, even in direct light.

You may want to trim that cloak a bit so that it doesn't drag on the ground. It's not a big deal and shouldn't affect the costume's acceptability, though.

So fix the ends of the cloak knot out of sight and I really recommend a new (tighter and thicker) blackout mask.

Overall, it looks really good and I like what I see.

Thank you!