• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Will the "wrong" lightsaber be approved?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello there,

me and some friends are just about to start working on our first couple of (EU) costumes and we were wondering; how far can a lightsaber design deviate from the "appropriate" design when no clear standarts are given? More specifically, can another Hasbro Force FX model be worn with a costume?

I'm thinking Nihilus here, for example: The guidelines state that if a lightsaber is present, it must meet the following guidelines. The following guidelines then start with what the lightsaber "should resemble". So I was wondering, would, for example, half a Maul Saberstaff do the trick already, or isn't it quite that easy?

Same for the SW:TOR Sith Warriors as seen in the "Hope" and "Deceived" trailers. Most of the guys are barely visible in the background and it makes sense for them not to have standardized lightsaber hilts, but would one of the rather well-known movie replicas be approved for use with another costume (if the costume itself makes it into the 501st anyway, that is)?

...this'll be fun :)

See you around!

Christian

Guest Nihilus

I would think it wouldn't be approved if you were to use one half of the Darth Maul FX Lightsaber. Cause Lightsaber hilt are very recognizable to those they belong to.

You be better off going to one the 3 FX custom online shops that let you build your own. and just try and get one similar to what Darth Nihilus would have. That is what I am going to do, If I can't track down an actual replica of his Lightsaber that you can sometime buy online.

Then again I could be totally wrong, I am sure one of the costume experts here will know more then me. I am only very new to costuming myself.

All the best

Shaun

For an appropriate Nihilus saber you either need a hilt that resembles the KOTOR II hilt or Nihilus' specific hilt. The lightsaber is also an optional item so if you can't find one you like right away, it won't hold up your approval process. TCSS (The Custom Saber Shop) can help you find the pieces you'll need if you want to try to build one yourself.

saber%2Brenders%2Bsingle%2Bblade%2B1.jpg

Nihilus_saber.jpg

It also depends on which version of Nihilus your going to do KOTOR II or COTF.

To the Sith Acolytes you see in the "Hope" and "Deceived" trailors if my memory serves they all have the same saber hilt and if your interested there are a couple of threads started in the research section of the forum where everything TOR Sith related is being discussed. ^_^

I hope this help you find the right saber hilt for you.

^_^ Katie

Hello there,

Same for the SW:TOR Sith Warriors as seen in the "Hope" and "Deceived" trailers. Most of the guys are barely visible in the background and it makes sense for them not to have standardized lightsaber hilts, but would one of the rather well-known movie replicas be approved for use with another costume (if the costume itself makes it into the 501st anyway, that is)?

I think, because of the trailer, the concept art, and the game itself, those might count as three sources (I have seen the masked Acolytes in the game in the later levels).

As for their lightsaber, it is all the same hilt. The Acolytes are more like Imperial Knights, in that their saber is standard issue. They don't make their own until they are taken as an Apprentice.

As for what it looks like, all the Acolyte Sabers in the Cinematic trailers were identical. Here is the model they used:

acolytesaber.jpg

The red button is not the activation button. Otherwise, it would be where the LED heatsink would need to go. The button could be located on the opposite side of the hilt. And yes, it is a belt hook-hanger.

As for the Maul half-saber, I would probably say now. However, it wouldn't be very difficult to purchase one of the Hasbro Vader toy sabers, some PVC pipe, and some epoxy-sculpt and make your own COTF saber or just build a hardware saber for the TSL version and use the Hasbro guts.

Guest Anonymous

Wow, can't wait to get going on that stuff - and with all the help I might actually make it! Thanks, guys, I'll keep you posted!

I think, because of the trailer, the concept art, and the game itself, those might count as three sources (I have seen the masked Acolytes in the game in the later levels).

As for their lightsaber, it is all the same hilt. The Acolytes are more like Imperial Knights, in that their saber is standard issue. They don't make their own until they are taken as an Apprentice.

As for what it looks like, all the Acolyte Sabers in the Cinematic trailers were identical. Here is the model they used:

acolytesaber.jpg

Does this custom saber look close enough?

SithAcolyteSaber.jpg