• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan mask - WIP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello!

This is my first post to the forums, but I am super psyched about making a Revan costume. I began sculpting my mask this week, and have the base down.

6131789800_858fd525c9.jpg

I sculpted it with a mixture of original, super sculpey, and firm sculpey, and am planning on trying to make a mould of which I can then make a relatively thin resin or polyurethane cast.

I've spent the last week trying to read up on casting materials, as well as resins/urethane etc. I won't deny, I'm still unsure what to use. I don't know why I didn't come here first!

What I am thinking of settling on is using something like Smooth-on to make a one-piece silicone mold, and then I'm not sure what resin to use, there are so many out there (since the back of the mask won't matter, as I'm going to pad it with cloth etc.). I've looked at KastEZ, which I think may work?

Do you have any recommendations? I think my interpretation of the mask is accurate, I was sure to reference the game pic a lot. As is, I could wear the sculpey mask, it's a bit heavy, and I'm worried about durability... and I kind of want to try my hand at casting before I approach Revan's armour and vambraces etc. :)

Or did I go about making this the entirely wrong way haha?

~ Amanda

Hiya,

I'm sorry I missed responding to this post when you made it. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of the threads!

I think what catches my eye the most is that it looks hand-sculpted, even in your painted images. The trick to sculpting armor and masks is to give them a manufactured look, which means sharp, sraight lines and flat or evenly curved surfaces as needed. We often get the rough look with a soft medium (clay or sculpey), make a mold from that, cast a "hard master" in a firm material (usually bondo and resin), and then refine the edges and curves of the hard master.... which can be sanded or filled to create the best look possible. And, unlike clay, it won't be determined to hold a soft look to the edges! Then, we make a second mold, and we're ready for the true casting to begin!

It might be a trick of the eye caused by the lines of the wood beneath it, but it seems to me that the mask leans to one side a bit. I suggest taking your picture and overlaying some grid lines, and then making sure that everything is parallel or perpendicular as they need to be. It's better to straighten that out in the soft beginning stages, rather than when everything is solid!

I love seeing people tackle projects like this. Thank you so much for sharing!

Pam :-)