• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Armored Sith Warrior / Acolyte from SW:TOR (Lord Adraas?)

Takamatsu

Armored Sith Warrior/Acolyte from SW:TOR trailers

Since I first saw the "Deceived" trailer I loved the look of these Armored Sith Warriors that leave the hatch of the stolen Republic ship that crashes through the Coruscant temple walls. The way they light up the darkness with the red light and hum from their sabers, awesome typical Star Wars.

And so I decided to build this costume, for myself as it is quite unlikely that these characters will ever get enough reference material to be considered "501st Canon". I've gathered together images that are available from all over the internet and many many screenshots from the cinematic trailers that feature these Armored Sith (Deceived and Hope trailers).

I'm starting this thread as my collection of references and also will be showing my costume once complete along with some "work in progress". Thumbnail images are clickable for larger versions.

I did contact the artist that worked on these characters in the Hope trailer, although he was unable to release any extra images at least until the game is released, although unfortunate for myself I totally respect that he wouldn't want to jepordise anything work related. He did however refer to these characters as "Sith Acolytes". His website showing his other work is here: http://www.requestdenied.com/

There is one character that has been named in the Deceived novel, that character is Lord Adraas (link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Adraas). Adraas was chosen by Darth Angral to lead the fifty Sith warriors on board a stolen Republic shuttle for an attack on the Jedi Temple during the Sacking of Coruscant.

th_deceived_cinematic_trailerwmv_snapshot_0150_20101120_004818.jpg

Adraas wears the armour that I have tried to re-create, although a lot of the deceived trailer is quite dark and it can be hard to pick out some details there are still some obvious pieces to the armour that can be picked out. Most notable at first glance are the metal look helmet and the black cloak with red stripes on the sleeves. Then there are armour parts for the chest, wrists and legs(upper and lower legs). The abdomen part I was a little unsure about. The helmet also appears to have some fancy filigree style paintwork.

th_Sith_Filigree.jpg

The second cinematic trailer titled "Hope" also featured these Sith Acolytes and this time there were some clearer images, they also showed a different helmet style. The helmet shape remained the same but lacked the red mouth area and also had a less fancy pattern, being more stripy rather than filigree swirls, perhaps hinting at different marking for rank or merely personal customisation.

th_Sith_Maruder_Hope_Trailer_medium.jpg

th_sithmask.jpg

Now, like I said earlier the main reference images have all really come from the cinematic trailers, but there have been a couple more circulating the web. One from a screen capture of an interview with one of the employees of Blur Studios and another from an unknown (to me) source.

th_Sith_Acolyte_Full_length_large.jpg

th_Drawing.jpg

Whether this piece of artwork was from an official source I am not sure, however this artwork has been used on the bioware stages at gamescon and behind the Malgus statue at San Diego Comic Con. The same artwork is also used on the box art for the Collector's Edition of the SW:TOR game.

**Edit. Now that I have the game in my hand I can see that this piece of artwork is featured on the back of the standard edition too**

Some reference pictures can be found at http://photobucket.com/SWTORsith (anybody can add to the group album)

It has also been noted that the armour is very similar in design to the armored Jedi from these cinematic trailers, the crotch/abdomen area varies slightly along with the belt, and also the Jedi version appears to have small areas of lighting (and no helmet of course), this means some of the clearer images of the Jedi armour could be used to fill in some areas of ambiguity perhaps. (The armoured Jedi has some very clear shots in the third cinematic trailer "Return").

It has also been noted that the armour is very similar in design to the armored Jedi from these cinematic trailers, the crotch/abdomen area varies slightly along with the belt, and also the Jedi version appears to have small areas of lighting (and no helmet of course), this means some of the clearer images of the Jedi armour could be used to fill in some areas of ambiguity perhaps. (The armoured Jedi has some very clear shots in the third cinematic trailer "Return").
You hit the nail on the head here. The armor is identical in its construction to the Jedi armor. The only difference is greeblies and the mask. Jedi have lights and a mando-style lit chest diamond while Acolytes have spikes and more badassery.

I am making one of each costume for members of my base/garrison, along with my Malgus. I'm still compiling the screenshots, but I'll post a link to them here when I get them all up and posted.

I'll also be doing one of my famous dissections of the acolyte costume once I get the screenies taken.

I'll also be doing one of my famous dissections of the acolyte costume once I get the screenies taken.

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it - I guess you wouldn't need any help as you are well versed at making the breakdowns - but if you do just let me know.

Here is my costume so far (had chance to do a little bit today).

Sith_Acolyte.jpg

Sith_Acolyte2.jpg

I intially used silver rub n buff for the armour, then used a 50/50 mix of silver and black to try to get it more "gunmetal" type colour but in these photos it still looks a little too shiny silver looking so I'll probably try again but more like 75% black to get it dulled down a bit. I also need to figure out the chest piece straps a bit better and I've already curved the top inner corners of the chest piece so they sit tighter on me. Most of the Sintra armour I had initially used has now been replaced with more comfortable EVA foam armour, it's lighter and doesn't nip or pinch as much as the old stuff.

I gotta say for a first attempt that's not so bad. It sounds like you know what needs to be fixed between this and a version 2.0.

and I'm digging your mask, beautiful work there.

^_^ Katie

I gotta say for a first attempt that's not so bad. It sounds like you know what needs to be fixed between this and a version 2.0.

and I'm digging your mask, beautiful work there.

^_^ Katie

Thanks for the comment on my mask, this costume is effectively version 2 - the first time I made the armour from sintra which always looked a bit flat to me, the EVA foam however gives it more depth.

Small update on the costume:

I have had no internet since friday and so I spent some time tweaking the costume. I fixed the problems I had with the chest strapping and the way the robes were held in place. I also weathered the armour by giving it a black wash to dull down the shinyness of the silver and then took a few more pics.

With robes off:

6168366449_39083da909.jpg

With lightsaber (not photoshopped , just low lighting)

6168907096_d52ea08bc1.jpg

And a couple of photoshopped images with the strongest reference images I used to create the costume. I think I need to practice getting my leg straighter for the jump kick lol. This was one of the clearest images of this Sith character from the first trailer.

6168910252_7d2ff918a4_z.jpg

this comparison was before the weathering:

Adraas_compare-600-1.jpg

More pictures old and new: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53415931@N ... 828314498/

it looks like your getting there ^_^ there are still some points that it can use some improvement. the neck/cowl part looks like it should be a lighter grey rather than the black you've got going on. The chest piece flows down to the belt/cod area and you've got a brake between your chest and belt/cod area. Love your mask, just remember to tip your chin down when you take the picture, it looks like your thrusting your chin out ^_^ and I really want to see pics after you've got your weathering done

it looks like your getting there ^_^ there are still some points that it can use some improvement. the neck/cowl part looks like it should be a lighter grey rather than the black you've got going on. The chest piece flows down to the belt/cod area and you've got a brake between your chest and belt/cod area. Love your mask, just remember to tip your chin down when you take the picture, it looks like your thrusting your chin out ^_^ and I really want to see pics after you've got your weathering done

All the pictures above apart from the bottom comparison were taken after the blackwash, perhaps it needs even more darkening?

The area between the chest and abdomen armour is one of those areas of ambiguity I was talking about before and took most reference from the Jedi in the Return trailer as it provided a clearer view of this particular area. Although the armour is slightly different, especially the belt, you can see a clear break in the armour between chest and abdomen.

6188183315_80cb01ff7a_b.jpg

I agree on the neck/cowl part, and the whole undersuit might actually appear more of a dark grey rather than black, although the areas of undersuit that are visible on the legs the colour appears very close to that of the cloak suggesting black. On other screengrabs the armour pieces look black and makes the undersuit look grey in comparison.

You are also correct on my need to tilt my head down for photos' I think that perhaps I forget about the "pose" so much as trying to view the photographer which sometimes requires me to lift my head slightly so I get a lot of the "sticking my chin out" kind of looks.

Well, I've remade the helmet from scratch again. This time I feel it has the detail that it deserves and I ended up with this:

6407480295_3143c2459c_z.jpg

6407482149_15766a1c7f_z.jpg

6407666029_4ec97acd33_z.jpg

It even has my forum name on it (Sith prophecy font - thanks to http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/sithprophecy.htm)

6407481181_ecedfda79a_z.jpg

I'm still waiting for some red paint that I've ordered to be delivered so that I can paint the mouth area and the forehead areas. I'm pleased I've done this, I certainly consider this an improvement for my costume and I've learnt a bit along the way.

I hope you agree this is an improvement on the previous helmet/mask.

edit**

Extra image taken in natural light:

6412427389_0198021831_z.jpg

yea I'm looking forward to see these start to make their way into the 501st. I'd like to see up close pics of that Malgu's gauntlets since I noticed some "issues" with them. I really like the breath mask and make-up however, that is very intimidating

The folks in the flash mob were hired professionals, so I'm guessing that the costumes were made and owned by the game company. Those particular costumes probably won't be making their way into the legion, but I'm betting that they helped more than a few people really, REALLy want a costume of their own!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

that´s an impressive work on the mask and all the armor, I will start a project like this on the following days (new year´s eve included I think), hope that it will turn into something as close as your work

keep it up, it looks awesome

Well, I almost ruined the mask completely :( . I attempted to make a mold from the mask only I didn't use enough release agent or something and I ended up with the mask covered in silicone, it took quite a bit of time picking bits off and needed loads of repairs on the paint and details. I ended up with more battle damage to the mask in the forms of pits and scratches.

6507599149_3008531619_z.jpg

6543809883_37039f93e3_z.jpg

Since Christmas I seem to have lost a lot of motivation for this costume, I think I need to give it a break and come back to it at a later date.

Well, I saw over on therpf a few people making this mask using the same method I used before and it inspired me to try this again.

First mould built. Smooth versions can now be cast:

7767522556_d6e700c49d.jpg

Filagree detailing on top of the first smooth pull .. time consuming

7887261378_547de475c0.jpg

A few more hours in. Fingers numb from scalpel use...

7887257856_72ae274741.jpg

7887256866_33aea5a297.jpg

Another coat of resin. Perhaps I used a slightly thicker layer of resin than I'd of liked, some of the edges are not as sharp as before but I'm hoping it looks okay once finished and painted. Prepared for mould.

7887254286_51ae70bb80.jpg

Latex mould completed, first half of Plaster mothermould completed:

7902463440_330d960741.jpg

I had a bit of a panic when I couldn't get the plaster mother mould apart and feared I'd have to break it, but after working at the edges of the plaster I was able to separate the pieces and retrieve the original mask with minimal damage:

7902457796_ece907caee.jpg

The latex "detail" mould:

7902462232_d4ca2656aa.jpg

It needs some cleaning up on the inside but it should work out fine, the details are easily visible:

7902459042_461ba0a6f3.jpg

The Plaster mother mould, viewed from inside:

7902461066_624b2a0e01.jpg

Okay, so I got the first cast done today. The mouth vent area needs a little work but otherwise it's not too bad.

Cast in black resin and painted with Rub n buff (no blackwash here).

It needs some eye mesh and a strap at the moment.

7908502266_8e931f1323_c.jpg

It was kinda horrible to think that after a week of making the mould that the whole time could've been wasted, so I'm pleased that this came out okay!

8017001314_48b121c206_c.jpg

8016996995_5a6f3ec6fe_c.jpg

8016998327_100070ed57_c.jpg