• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus beginner's questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi there :)

My name is Yvonne and I’m - obviously - new to this board. I’m not part of the 501st, but I’d like to change that and do a costume I could have approved.

I totally like the look of Darth Nihilus COTF and think that this costume is doable for me (never did an armor or a lot of modelling before, so wanted more “soft parts”).

Right now I’m trying to do a mask myself (will see if it’s gonna work or not :P wanted to at least give it a try), found suitable black leather gloves online and in the next few days I’d like to take a look at different fabrics and decide what I’m going to use.

But I have two questions regarding the standards for the Nihilus COTF.

First one would be the boots. I couldn’t find anything about how high they can be. Would it be allowed to wear - knee-high - riding boots (without buckles, laces and visible zippers)? Or should they be lower?

Second one is, if the lightsaber hilt necessarily needs to look like the one from “The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia”, or if it’s ok to use the COTF artwork where you can only see the upper and lower part of the hilt as reference and have a custom ‘middle part’?

Hope someone can help me. I just don’t want to spend a lot of money and then realize it’s not suitable.

Thanks in advance :)

Higher boots are good to go. (I use high boots for mine.)

If you're doing the COTF Nihilus, you oughta go for matching your saber as close as possible as well. The Encyclopedia saber hilt is just and additional artists rendition of the saber. Saber's aren't mandatory for costume acceptance other than not being allowed to use another characters saber (IE. can't submit pics holding a Maul or Vader saber).

As Scott said, your boots don't have a height requirement and the odds are that you'll never see the tops beneath your skirts anyway. You got the basics, though... no buckles, laces, or visible zippers. My boots are pretty high, as well (I wear WWII German jack boots).

The simplest way to approach the lightsaber is to skip it. It isn't required for this costume. If you really want to have one, though, it's best to get it as close as possible to the artwork. When it comes time to submit photos of the costume for Legion acceptance, if you have a lightsaber by then, don't put a clip or hook for it on your belt. At least not in the pictures. You can wear a clip any other time but not in those submission photographs.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for the quick responses!

You're right, I think it's better to just forget about the saber (for now) and concentrate on the other parts :D