• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan Costume

Guest Kur'amur

Guest Kur'amur

Hi guys. First off i want to say great job with all your costumes. Secondly I'm Alex and i am trying to start a new costume which will be the first one im going to make from scratch. I myself have been interested in join the 501st for some time. I have an Anakin episode III costume already (I still have some improvements to make to get it 501st approved) but had some make the costume for me. What I really want to get working on now is Darth Revan. I have been trying to find patterns that i can use to get it going but so far not having much luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction. that would be greatly appreciated

Guest Kur'amur

Its pretty much all of the above. I've decide to start with the mask first as it seems to me to be one of the hardest pieces to create and once finish it will provide more motivation to finish the complete costume. I seem to have enough pictures but not sure on how to make the mask after getting a mold of my head on which to build it on.

Starting with the mask sounds like a good plan. Not only is it a managable place to start... it's also the piece that will most likely make you grin like a fool when you finish it and try it on! It will definitely be a good incentive for finishing the rest of the costume!

Here are a few links that might help you get started:

Some supply resources, if you need them:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=600

Some general info on sculpting with oil clay:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=601

Caroline's mask-sculpting images:

http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/gal ... cgy?page=1

Scott's Nihilus mask tutorial. Not the same mask, but the same basic techniques are used:

http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/mask.html

Pam :-)

Guest Kur'amur

Thanks Pam!! The list of retailers for the supplies is a big help. With all that you have provided and what i have found on the site i think im in great shape to start sculpting the mask. I think i might have some questions about making the mold for the mask but need to still look colser at those links you sent. Its very possible my answers are there and i just missed them.

The best thing to do is look at the resource images, and compare them to what you're looking at. Does it match? Then it's good! No match? Keep looking!

The Hakama looks good. You would need to make sure that the tie at the front isn't visible when worn with the rest of the costume.

The shirt isn't right because it has a button up front, and it's missing the horizontal line across the chest. Most likely the shirt would need to be custom made, or you'd need to find one closer to the right look, and modify it.

RevanTorso.jpg

I suspect the boots are way too cluttered to be used for Revan. All those straps and panels... they remind me of Anakin's boots, rather than Revans.

normal_WebRevanSide2.jpg

Guest Kur'amur

Still in the process of getting everything together to start my Revan costume. I am looking to sew all the soft parts and build my own armor but still am having problems finding patterns for this costume. Anyone that has built a Revan any ideas for me?

Guest Kur'amur

While searching the forums i saw a link to amazon for a pair of gloves for Revan and was wanting some feed back to see if the would be approved, the post i saw didn't say one way or the other :(

http://www.amazon.com/Manzella-Power-St ... BT81GLTJKA

Also while looking at the Hakama requirements it says large box pleats down the the legs. Is there a spacific size for the pleats like 2 inches or 3 inches? I found a pattern that I think will work for this cosutme just not sure on the box pleats. http://www.sithvixen.com/tutorials/Sewi ... aPants.pdf

Once again any help with this is greatly appreciated!!

Assuming the gloves are long enough to stay tucked under the armor, and wouldn't show the skin of your wrist when you're moving about, they would be fine. Some folks have problems with gloves that are too short; they end up pulling out from under the armor and bunch up, or reveal the wrist, which is a no-no, and it can get frustrating to have to keep tucking them back in again.

RevanVambraceDetail.jpg

There isn't a specific size for the pleats that I know of, each person should make them in proportion to their own size. I would suggest making a mockup section with some fabric scraps, and see what looks right to you.

normal_WebRevanSide2.jpg

Guest Kur'amur

I am going to try and start sewing my hakama within the next week. Was wondering if anyone had any fabric suggestion? I would prefer a fabric that is light wait and something that breaths so it wont be too hot when wearing. Thanks for any suggestions!

Holy zombie post batman!

Those boots look pretty great. There's not much detail so there's not much to comment on. If you did want to do a band across the top, they'd be a prime candidate for a nice upgrade like that.

German jack boots are AWESOME. They're required for other costumes, like TIE pilots, so you can get more use out of them than just with Revan. That's always a plus!

That style of boot runs narrow, from what I've heard from all the guys in my Garrison. So you'd probably want to go at least a half size up from what you normally wear in boots.

Guest Mojofarian

For boots one of the things you might want to look at are structural firefighting boots. Sometimes you can get them cheap. I can tell you that the leather boots are very comfortable and will be plain enough with no buckles or laces. I plan on using my old ones from work since I can purchase a new pair every year.

Look at www.therfirestore.com and check the structural firefighting boots. Then search which model online and you will find them cheaper.

For boots one of the things you might want to look at are structural firefighting boots. Sometimes you can get them cheap. I can tell you that the leather boots are very comfortable and will be plain enough with no buckles or laces. I plan on using my old ones from work since I can purchase a new pair every year.

Look at http://www.therfirestore.com and check the structural firefighting boots. Then search which model online and you will find them cheaper.

I think there is an extra letter in that link and I believe this is where you were trying to send us: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/categ ... ing-Boots/

Looks like they have some pretty kewl boots. I bought some Jack Boots off ebay. Only problem for me is my calves are appearently huge and so I have to stretch out the leather :) I promise it's because of all my massive muscles.