• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

how to make a duct tape torso.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know it was mentioned here about making a duct tape torso. But I couldnt find any step by step process. ( I want to make one because I am starting a Gears of War armor (in foam) set). So I need to make a torso of my self and I figured 6 bucks for a couple of rolls of duct tape would be the cheapest way to do this. Is it as simple as start wrapping your self up and cut it down the sides or is it a little more complicated as that??

That's pretty much it.... make it, cut it off, put it back together. Seal the openings, and fill it with batting or expanding foam.

Here's a nice instruction page. There are a LOT more out there, just run a google search for duct tape dress form.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/363 ... ess-form-1

Pam :-)

Fun, I just bought a tight shirt at a thrift sore, had my husband layer the duck tape, and cut a slit to slip it off and then repaired it and fulled it with batting and put it on a stand.

AVPtunicRough.jpg

It has been great since then for costumes, much easier to make adjustments and precision detailing. Do tell if you have any trouble happy to help.

Guest Anonymous

I hadn't thought about stuffing the torso. I'm thinking about making one of these so that I personally have one to practice draping on and because I personally have one of those weird shapes that you can't get on a dress form. And because it's fairly inexpensive :P .

What did you use for a stand, Ladyb?

Another good stuffing for these dummies is insulation foam, the kind that comes out of a can. Dont spray in to fill straight away as that stuff expands a huge amount. Ive seen a tutorial where they slowly sprayed in a layer of the foam, allowing it to expand and harden..then spray a little more and so on. It created a really strong dummy that was still very light to handle. they used an old hat stand for the stand for it.

That dummy was an almost full body cast too.

It has been great since then for costumes, much easier to make adjustments and precision detailing. Do tell if you have any trouble happy to help.

Sorry I had not seen this earlier, we used a discarded torchiere lamp from a neighbor with the top removed.

What Katherine posted is a great method too.

Cool idea Sakara. :)