• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Savage Opress Questions (Serious Intention To Build)

Derek

I’m going to make a Savage Opress for the 501st here in New England, and I have a few questions right off the bat.  I know I’m making the costume, but the answers to these questions will help me determine what method I’m going to use for the build.

1.  Does anyone have a 3d file of the horns?  Obviously, I’m willing to buy the file, but I haven’t found anything on Etsy or thingiverse.

2.  Does the vest need to be made of a smooth material, or would a leather known as a “motorcycle side” work also?  Motorcycle sides have a bumpy texture like you would see on a motorcycle vest.

3.  How have other people been tackling the silver piping?  Is there silver piping that you can buy that’s ready to sew on, or have people been making their own piping out of silver pleather?

4.  How close to the official length of the lightsaber hilt does a custom build have to be?  I have an ultrasabers double sided red saber, and I’m hoping I can print a shell of the savage hilt to fit over the handle, but my preliminary calculations seem to be a couple inches longer than the official length.  I know it wouldn’t look weird in my hands, because I’m 6’6”, 270 lbs, but I want to plan for success.

Thanks very much for taking the time to weigh in on this.  I already troop with the local 501st in my Mandalorian Protectors armor, but I want an official 501st costume, and Savage is one of my favorite characters.

Hey Derek, I'm glad you've taken an interest in savage opress, he is quite the character :D,I  have been pondering your questions and doing some research to figure out how best to help you, I will answer you questions in the same order you presented them 

1. Sadily I wasn't able to find a specific vender that selling savage horns, I recommend ether checking in our community for anyone who has a approved savage and ask how they did it, I sadily don't know any (but if any of our approved savage ogress's see this post I'm sure they could help), you could also find a vendor on Esty who make Darth maul horns and see if they'd be willing to make savage horns, never hurts to ask.

2.  I think a material made of leather or a material that resembles leather would serve you best but that also up to you GML. so id reach out to whom ever its is in the new England garrison, is picture 1 the type of material you were thinking?

3. I'm not a super expert in silver piping but if you look at picture 2, while it isn't silver in the photo i think the general idea is there, which usually involves sewing an edge over each end to give it that" trim" look I can continue to dig some more and find some videos on how to sew this look..

4. As a general rule lightsabers are always optional and are NOT a requirement for an official approval. however if you do desire to have his official hilt, in checking the crl the saber should be as follows

The lightsaber hilt from tip to tip is approximately 23 inches long.

Each end has a spike coming off the blade emitter.

They are opposite one another meaning that one end of the saber the spike is in the 12 o’clock position and the opposite end the spike is in the 6 o’clock position.

The center of the saber has rubber ribs.

D-Ring connectors on the short side of both emitters.

The hilt can be a static prop or have a removable blade.

If the hilt does have a blade it should light up red on both ends.

i hope this information was helpful, i wish you the best of luck in this build and don't hesitate to reach out if you have additional questions 

Max Fleischman

SL-13988

Only two, no more no less.

motorcycle side.jpg

silver piping.jpg

• Like 1

I really appreciate the response, Max.

1.  Great idea.  I’ll see who I can get in contact with.

2. That is technically a motorcycle side, but the follicle structure is usually bigger and more noticeable.

3.  If you find something, then I’d happily give it a look over.  Otherwise, I’ll double check with my local rep to see if the “piping needs dimension or if it’s just a prominent edge that has to show.

4.  I think the words “approximately” is what gives me hope, but also makes me nervous.  I don’t want to invest a lot of time in a build, then have to start from scratch, or even worse, have to buy an expensive replica.  I typically make my own stuff.

When a local rep approves based on the CRL, then the build is official with 501st, or would a member of global leadership need to secondarily affirm that the build is approved?

I really appreciate the help.

• Like 1

I completely understand. Here in Washington we’ve had a lot is issues with conflictions on how specific saber hilts should look for characters like revan and nihilus. Not wanting to waste time and money on a “maybe” isn’t realistic anymore in modern society. 

yes to answer your last question, when your approved locally the approval goes to global as “ this costume is approvable and this costumer May troop and do events in this costume” :) 

I also put a request in for saber guild (which has a handful of savage oppresses costumers) to find out how and where they bought their horns. 

Max Fleischman 

SL-13988

Only two, no more no less 

• Like 1

@Derek
1) I personally used EVA foam clay and shaped and painted the horns the way I liked. Then I attached the dried foam horns to resin bases using Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

2) The CRL says "made of leather or a material that resembles leather". I'd ask your local GML about this.

3) The silver piping on my vest isn't even piping at all. It's simply leather folded in half and stitched onto the vest.

4) Lightsaber is optional, but so long as the length is believable, I don't think anyone is going to be busting out a measuring tape to call you out.

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me or hit me up on Instagram @ozark_maul

• Like 2