• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Inner skirt split

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi I just received my nihilus and I noticed both inner and outer skirt need to have the splits.

My questions

Inner skirt - how would I do this and how far up should it go?

Outer skirt - best way of doing it split?

Hi,

Here's the legion CRL entry that shows how the skirts should look:

http://www.501stlegion.org/crl/SL_CRL/S ... dex106.php

And, here's the web page that shows how Scott made his skirts:

http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/robes.html

Skirts on a Sith Lord.... I still love that!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Ok I have checked them out and with me I'm still trying to figure out on how to do the splits in the skirts since the maker made them closed.

So do I take the scissors and create the split and on each side fold them in alittle bit and sew it?

and on the outer skirt, should the split more noticeable as in wider like fold them in more?????

i want to do it right and the color coord pic doesn't help as it's nihilus in like a action pose and the outer skirt is more flared out?????

I think your idea is a good one. Since you don't have much fabric to work with that way, I would suggest keeping the opening on the inner skirt as small as possible so it doesn't hang open too much. Scott's is open all the way up, but it overlaps. The outer skirt is open about five inches or so.

Guest Anonymous

depending on which version of Nihilus you are doing you may not need to hem (sp?) any thing the COTF version of nihilus has tattered robes.

Guest Anonymous

I have the the cotf version with the tattered robes and from the pics of nihilus in the cotf there are splits in the inner and outer skirts.

Guest Anonymous
I think your idea is a good one. Since you don't have much fabric to work with that way, I would suggest keeping the opening on the inner skirt as small as possible so it doesn't hang open too much. Scott's is open all the way up, but it overlaps. The outer skirt is open about five inches or so.

So pam on the outer skirt, are you saying to have it open all the way up but to make the split, to have it taken in 5" on each side?????

And the inner skirt to only have it about 1/2 way up and no need to open it all the way up??????

Also here is what it looks like so far. and yes I know the knot needs to be worked on and so does the cowl.

Nihilus_Combo2-1.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Pam what can I do to correct the cowl/ hood???

For compared to Scott's pictures, my hood/robe is wrong.

Hi,

It might be okay for the inner skirt to only be split halfway, but it would be better for it to be split all of the way. If you can split it all of the way, then you should. That's the right thing to do.

The opening in the outer skirt should be five inches total, not five inches on each side. (Make it two and a half inches on each side.) Like this:

106_06.jpg

The hood is way too big, and it does look like a seperate piece from the cape. The fabric shouldn't bunch around the shoulders like that; it should flow straight down from the head:

106_01b.jpg

Hope that helps!

Guest Anonymous

Ok thanks. Yeah the hood and cape is attached together and with all that material on the hood, in the back I was thinking what about trying to bring it more forward so it can hang more in the front and make the knot???

Pam from this point what would you do to fix hood/cape area??? Can this be salvaged????

The only way to find out is to experiment! Bring it forward as you suggested and try pinning it, then step back and see how it looks. Make some adjustments, step back again. Like most EU costumes, it's often a trial and error process to see what works best. (I think that's half the fun.)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks pam. Also I have a question I just thought of and that is, since cape and hood is attached by being sewn together, and when I pull it forward, and you see the sewn area is that ok or how would fix that? Scott's looks like one big piece as in no sewn together pieces.

I'm honestly not sure what the best answer would be for that. You probably ought to check with Thomas... I'd hate to guess one thing, and find out that the answer is something else. If it were my costume, I'd make a new hood and cape because I'm very stubborn and driven to match the references... but I don't know if you would be required to do that or not.

Scott's hood and cape are one long piece of fabric. (Actually it's three long pieces of fabric... two underneath, and one on top, to make it look like it has a lot of folds and material.)

Guest Anonymous

I'm hoping to keep what I have and mod it as I am not the one that made it and don't have really the know how's on how to do it all over. That's why I'm hoping to be able to salvaged what I got or the funds. It has taken me to 2 years to try and get this costume done mainly because of funds.