• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Legion Commander Inspects the Troops

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Greetings troopers!

Albin Johnson here, making his first visit to your Detachment forums as a new part of my Virtual Inspection Tour initiative. Detachments are without a doubt one of the strongest parts of the Legion - when we devised them back in the cave-man days of the Legion it was with the hope the groups could celebrate the unity of a costume group along a theme, and boy has that idea resulted in great work! The Legion may have dozens of costumes, but the public sees Detachments as coming straight out of the Empire! So I am very proud to finally visit and start a regular ongoing dialog here. I've looked around and I'm very impressed with what the Armored Cav has done.

I am hoping this thread will be a place where you, the Detachment members, can post questions or comments to me and I can respond on my return trips. I can't promise exactly when I'll be back, but I'm hoping to keep a 2-week rotation - more frequently if the activity picks up. Please feel free to voice any concerns you have - while I can't promise instant solutions I can promise I will give each one attention. And don't feel like it has to be formal - we're all friends here - feel free to shoot the breeze, tell me anything cool that's coming up with your unit, or even post pics of Liv Tyler or Summer Glau (that's the running joke on the other forums I visit regularly).

Oh, and allow me to throw in two shameless plugs:

The Legion Archives are growing and we hope to display a LOT of stuff at CV this year. But it's an ongoing project and we need your help to preserve the history of the Legion for future generations. If you have any unique Detachment or general 501st promo items you can contribute it would be a massive boost for us. Anything from patches to fliers to pictures to retired banners to trading cards (signed preferred) then please consider contributing. All items can be mailed to me directly at 300 Braewick Rd Columbia, SC 29212 USA - make sure YOUR part of the Legion history is preserved so we can tell your story.

The card section of the archives was recently updated and you can see what we have/need here:

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/archives/501stcards.html

If there's been a card run by your Detachment then we definitely want to get it represented in the archives! Thank you

501st key chains and R2-KT key chains are available for $6 apiece (shipping included in the U.S.) - we have PLENTY and you can paypal me at albinj@sc.rr.com . Here are pics of the key chains:

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/501stkeychain.jpg

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/r2kt-keychain.jpg

I'll close it on that note and invite you to please post any and all thoughts, feelings, questions, whatever. This is your chance for your voice to be heard straight up to the top and for me to get to know YOU better.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you, Pam. And let me please point out something from my initial post that someone in another Detachment remarked on: I did not mean to mention the Armored Cav and imply a slight on any other Detachment - I merely referenced them because of their humble beginnings when Zippy approached me about starting their Detachment so I use them as an example of how far Detachments have come, that's all.

It goes without saying that possibly the toughest job of all Detachments is that of the EU crew and the Clone Troopers - both groups have to work on costumes that never existed on film. At least the CT's have more visual references! Your group has done an amazing job making REAL what in some cases is shown only a handful of times in scattered reference material! Just amazing.

I will be returning often to see if there is anything posted on this thread for me to respond to. If there is a shortage of business to discuss or questions to ask - then feel free to just share how you're doing in your Star Wars sojourn. I'm here to get to know you all better and make myself available.

Good luck and thanks for bringing the Expanded Universe into our universe!

Guest Daritha
It goes without saying that possibly the toughest job of all Detachments is that of the EU crew and the Clone Troopers - both groups have to work on costumes that never existed on film. At least the CT's have more visual references! Your group has done an amazing job making REAL what in some cases is shown only a handful of times in scattered reference material! Just amazing.

Finally, someone agrees with me on that point. *g* I pointed that out in many discussions with friends. The movie characters, at least, know that their costumes are sewable (with some exceptions from the Prequels) but we don't know if our costumes are even possible until we make them. :)

With this, I don't want to lower the efforts of other costumers. When the costumes are in the movies, you have the not less difficult task in making them look like they belong there.

However, I want to thank you Albin for taking the time to visit the detachments and checking on our well-being. It's a sign of a great man to be concerned of everyone under his command ... Sir! ;)