• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

CW Ventress in the works

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After seeing the amazing CW Ventress coming together in Finland, I decided to try it out as well, because I wanted a character that was both obviously a girl and that the kids would recognize. Thank you George Lucas for having too few evil ladies in your movies.

I started working by finding some suede cloth to make the tabbard, and also picked up the skirt and shirt materials, but I got sidelined by another project and haven't started on those yet.

Here's my progress so far. I've weathered the tabbard a bit more since these pictures were taken but I haven't yet fixed the part up on the top where I smudged the red and yellow paint into orange (brilliant move that I still haven't figured out how I managed...) If all else fails, I have enough suede left over to do a redo.

0000ewxh.jpg

0000gysx.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I've gotten started on the shirt finally. Here are some shots:

0001at5z.jpg

0001bwb1.jpg

0001cb4z.jpg

Forgive the crazy wet hair and glasses. I'd just woken up and jumped in the shower and then decided it would be a brilliant time to get started.

Guest Anonymous

The color's midnight blue but you're right, it really doesn't show up well in the photos. Part of that is that i have the matte side (ie the wrong side) visible in almost all the shots. Once I get it fully sewn up and can try it on for real, not just a fitting, I'll take another pic with the shiny lycra side out and see if it shows up better. The lycra also is the exact same color as the wrong side of my skirt material, which made me very excited.

Someone was in this costume at the current SWW (a Disney employee perhaps?) You might check the video or photos of the event for reference.

She can be seen from about 6:00 till 6:18

Guest Anonymous

Ooh, thanks.

She's got an excellent makeup job. Like, just wow. Definitely professionally done. She looks literally just like the cartoon.

The costume pros and cons:

Cons (first 'cause I like to end on a good note)

Really obvious neck closure in the back. Pretty sure it's velcro and has bunched up. I'm working right now on a more conceilable closure on my own costume, probably on the side, and let me tell you, this is one big pain in the butt.

The wraps. I spent like 10 minutes looking at this clip and I do think the wraps are 3-D, at least definitely on the torso. However, the coloring is rather 2-D, as in it looks like every strip is only one color, no custom dye job. Looks like mostly lavender strips with a few purple (can't tell if it's the same as the top or not) added in to add some demension.

And I can't really get a good look at the accessories, gah...

Pros (besides the awesome makeup) and cool details:

Belts are definitely pale grey with weathering in dark grey, especially between the section pieces. Didn't get a very good look at the front, but I caught a brief glimpse of the "play" symbol on the belt buckle.

It looks like the actress is wearing some sort of prosthetic under the color to accentuate her collar bones and give Ventress that really angular look about the shoulders. (or the actress happens to be really really boney...) I'm also curious how the collar itself is kept up.

Seeing that video makes me want to resurrect my CW Ventress. :)

It's always neat to see how Disney transforms the animated characters into real life costumes. I don't think they had a Ventress for last year's SWW. The actress is definitely wearing a prosthetic of some kind on her head for the pointy-head effect and underneath her top to exaggerate her collar bones. I'm not sure that you can get away from having a neck closure for the top, but I'd love to see what alternative you come up with. The actress in the video is constantly walking with her arms and shoulders back, making her top bulk up in the back as well. As for the collar, when I made my CW Ventress I lined the collar with a heavier interfacing to make it stand up straight. Hmm, from the video it looks like her skirt is a light velvet? Hmmm....

Guest Anonymous

the skirt kind of looked like a distressed velvet (ie someone took an iron, etc. to a piece of velvet to simulate years of wear and tear) instead of crushed velvet. This was something I was already considering doing to make the skirt look more realistic. I have 2 meters of inexpensive dark blue velvet already. I think I'll cut off a sample piece and see what I can do with it. I really like the idea that the skirt was once regular velvet that after years of lightsaber duels and throwing in Obi Wan's face had turned into "crushed" velvet.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to wire the neck upright and I might make some wire pieces for the pointyness along the clavicals. I'll play around with electrical wire because I have the liquid plastic to cover teh ends so they won't poke through.

The skirt almost looks printed to me, from the animation I'd probably choose crushed velvet. She definitely has some prostheses on the jaw, back, and top of the head.

Some images from a link on the SW Newsletter:

swwAV1.jpg

swwAV2.jpg

Guest Sakara

The head is a full foam latex prosthetic, you can see it 'squash' at one point in the video. I dont like the jaw prosthetic though, that actually makes her look like a man!

Guest Anonymous

I'm almost done with this costume, but my camera charger has been missing since Dragon*Con. I should have pictures of the completed costume come Halloween.

Guest Anonymous

Did the first test run of my costume for the Halloween party at the zoo. Mostly I discovered all the little places where I need to add snaps/velcro to make sure random pieces don't shift about. (my entire shirt likes to shift right as I walk so that the slit end up over my right hip eventually)

My biggest problem was the bald cap. I had two different types, the Graftobian and the Woochie latex caps in standard size, and neither one really fit me right. My lovely assistant and I finally managed to patch them both together to cover all my hair but it was all bunched up like crazy in teh back. Because we spent literally like 5 hours figuring out a way to get the bald cap to work, I didn't have enough time to properly do the rest of the makeup before the event started, so no tatoos, alas.

Here's my problem and maybe someone hear can help me out, which I assume is all because I have a crap ton of hair. The bell of the standard sized caps is the right shape, but the flaps, mostly in the back, are faaaaaar too short, both length and width-wise. I'm not sure if I should buy an extra large or an extra long bald cap to fix this problem. The other big problem I had was blending the cap to my forehead. I had liquid latex but it didn't seem to go on very smoothly and just built up the problem instead of fixing it. Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Wow, sorry to here. I really wish we could help you, but Lisa (my girlfriend) has really short hair. The bald cap did bunch up on her a bit on the back and sides, but after we got liquid latex on, it sortof looked like wrinked skin, so I wasn't too worried. We also used the white woochie.

Our mishap (well main one) was the makeup. We bought Ben Nye airbrush liquid. As I hooked up the airbrush, I discovered it was gummed up with something from the last time I used it..and I suppose I forgot to clean it. So, we had to sponge apply the makeup. Three coats looked great, but in 30 minutes, it cracked and crumbed terrible & ruined the entire makeup job. That's what we need help with.

I'll post our pics on our build thread in a few so you can see our failure as well..lol. I determined we need a different belt. I made 10 segments of white leather and connected them underneath with velcro on a piece of black upholstery padding. A solid belt that has black lines on it giving the illusion of segments would work much better for us. I also painted the yellow of the loincloth on maroon cloth...but needs to be more layers or brighter yellow. Other than that, dress, top and buckle worked great. Her sabers were a hit as well.

Hope you get your stuff fixed!!

kathgruben could probably give you the best advice because she does a cap and has long hair. I would think you could make a ponytail or braid and run it down the back being hidden under the collar.

Alas I am not the best source for this part of the costume as I choose the quick and "easy" path for that:

DarkSideFoam.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I thought about doing the braid down the collar thing, but CW Ventress has no back so I don't know where I'd put it.

When I have time, I'm going to go down to the costume shop with my wig cap. I'll stuff my hair underneath it and see if I can try on different sized bald caps before I buy them.

I am also seriously considering buying an airbrush. Its been hard to get an even, non-blotchy coverage sponging it on. I did pretty well with my face because I can see it and do it myself without straining to reach it.

Agreed. With the open back of the CW Ventress costume, hiding your hair down the back isn't an option. You have no choice but to hide your hair within the cap.

I will confess that everytime thus far I have applied a bald cap for my Ventress costumes, it has taken around 4 hours from start to finish. The first chunk of time is spent wrapping my hair around my head in sections to make something like a helmet of hair. Then the cap goes on. Then the make up. I recently documented the process the last time I wore Ventress here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15634528@N ... 845023681/

The average bald cap should fit most people, even with long hair tucked underneath. I have used Woochie caps and Glatzan caps, and both seem to be about the same size wise. The key part of applying a tight fitting bald cap is to stretch it quite tightly over your head. However, if the costume shop will let you try it first then that should help you figure out what size you need.

Applying the liquid makeup with an airbrush is best. I have used both water-based (Mehron) and alcohol-based (Reel Creations) makeup, applied with an airbrush. Yes, your airbrush *must* be clean ;) The key with airbrushing water-based paint is to thin the paint to the correct consistency for an airbrush. And yes, they all tend to crack eventually, but thinner coats should help with this.

Sakara also has had tons of experience applying makeup and bald caps, and I highly recommend carefully reading through this thread for more info:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/vie ... =70&t=1068

Hope this helps a little :)

Guest Anonymous

Actually, seeing those pictures is a ton of help. What type of cap were you using in those pictures? That looks exactly like what I want. The flaps are muuuuch longer than any of the caps I've seen. And what method do you use to blend the edges of the cap?

Thanks!

I've donned the bald cap a total of 4 times.

The first couple of times I wore a bald cap, I used a regular-sized Woochie latex cap:

baldcapfront.jpg

FanExpo 2008

010-1.jpg

FanExpo 2009

To blend the edges, liquid latex was used, stippled on with a brush to build up the skin to the cap.

The next couple of times was this year at Celebration 5 and FanExpo:

baldcappic.jpg

Celebration 5

obiwanandventress.jpg

FanExpo 2010

For these two applications, I used a Kryolan Glatzan (plastic) bald cap, size small. I do find the they give you a little more extra material to work with than the Woochie. To blend the edges I dabbed on pax with a sponge, especially to build up the skin to the cap.

My preference is the Glatzan cap, as the material is much thinner than the Woochie cap and seems to be more durable (you can really stretch it tight without breaking).

Guest Nihilus

That is one better bald caps I have seen except for one your pics where I can see a little creasing in it.. I would thought you really shaved your head Kath.. may I call you Kath? :)