• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New here.. hello!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello-

I just signed up for the board. I am a Darth Talon wannabe. I have been reading through the posts and there is allot of great info!

I do have a question about the length of Talons Lekku. The way they have drawn them they are extremely long. They are past her belt and stop just below her glutes. If I dont make them that long will that make them unapprovable for the 501st?

Also one more thing- does her top have to made of leather? It looks more metal- like armor to me.

Thanks!

~BG

Good morning,

¿Am I addressing The Predator Queen? I recognize the screen name by reputation. If you are the same person my friend Joe Lester (Imageworksfx) speaks of with such regard, I am thrilled to see you here.

If it is by coincidence that you have chosen the avatar name of Big Gunns, I welcome you all the same.

Leather is not a requirement. An and argument for the pieces being made to resemble metal is well founded. If you want to hear it from the horse's mouth, post a question directly to Darth Talon designer Jan Duursema's board. Jan is very helpful to those with interest in costuming.

As to Lekku length, please do match the longer examples. The unusual length is considered unique to the character.

Be well and welcome.

Thomas

From Jan, when she was helping me with the standards:

"I pictured leather. I'm not sure how leather translates to a bikini type of costuming in the real world. Now--that being said--in the real world would a leather bikini really work? Never worn one so I don't know. A real body has to sit and stand and move without having to worry about gaps and stretching. I wonder if the best thing to do would be to use a heavy black stretch fabric [for the bottoms] and put a leather belt over it? The bottom has a belt over the bikini part all the way around. This is attached in the front with the metal front-piece and the 4 wide leather straps come off of that. The gloves could be a combo of thick and thin leather--the thicker areas to attach the 'metal' plates to (the plates could be made of plastic like Stormie armor.) The thinner areas for the areas that have to bend. Heavy for the straps on the plates. I'll draw up a diagram for you. The top is all pieced leather. I think that the headpiece wrap is just decorative and conforms to the head and lekku. It could be leather or molded. Let's see what I have in my files that ought to help you with the tats."

(Before anyone asks, sorry, there are no diagrams. She's been sweet enough to offer a number of them to me over the years, but I've never gotten anything.)

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replies- they are much appreciated!

Thomas- yes I am the same BigGunns Joe speaks of :D I kinda took a break from all things predator for the last several years. I have been planning to do a Darth Talon for a while now, and I also have a design for a custom Mando.

Thanks for the advice on the lekku. And yes to me her armor looks very reminiscent of Vaders.

Pam- thanks for all the info! I have been to your site and you have done some very nice work. I might have to talk to you about an Oola costume in the future.

~BG

Guest Anonymous

Thanks! Nice to be back. Love your avatar :D

Slight change of plans .... :shock: I got some advice from a 501st member that maybe I should also do a character from 1-6 so I can go to all the 501st events. So I have more time to plan Darth Talon while I work on my other costume for Celebration V.

~BG

Pam- thanks for all the info! I have been to your site and you have done some very nice work. I might have to talk to you about an Oola costume in the future.

Thanks, I would say the same in return. I've seen your work on the Hunter's Lair forums in the past, and you've got an amazing talent, especially when it comes to painting. I've never made an Oola costume, but I can certainly point you in the direction of some terrific Oola costumers when you're ready to start working on that.

Slight change of plans .... I got some advice from a 501st member that maybe I should also do a character from 1-6 so I can go to all the 501st events. So I have more time to plan Darth Talon while I work on my other costume for Celebration V.

Heh.... yeah, that's understandable. Talon's more of a convention costume rather than an everyday event outfit. Like the Slave Leia costume, it definitely wouldn't be considered appropriate for every 501st outing! What do you have in mind for another project?

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

I am going to do a Palpatine costume.... probably ROTJ with the cane. I have signed up on the sithlord forum and they are a great help over there.

Guest Stiltlady

BG - do you know Dave Powers? I've seen some of your work on his Pred costume - awesome! Would you be interested in teaming up to make some Lekku? I know you from HHN, Izzo's wife April.