• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My first post here, SW:TOR sith costume for Halloween

Takamatsu

I decided to post this as my first thread on these forums after reading about Darths Messengr's costume idea for halloween, some of you may have seen this posted before on other Star Wars/Costume related forums, feel free to ignore.

How did you progress on this costume build up Darths Messengr?

I had a similar idea and time in which to build my costume, this time based on one of the Sith that leaves the ship that crashes through the temple - this character:

basedon.jpg

Having bought my first MR lightsaber in August I only decided to go with this at the beginning of September so didn't have as much time as I should have given it. It was only to be a halloween costume that most people wouldn't even recognise as a Star Wars character I decided that detail and accuracy didn't need to be 100%, so long as the costume looked 'cool' enough for the night.

Budget was also an issue, I didn't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a Halloween costume and so most of the costume has been made from recycled 'junk. The armour pieces have been formed from old sale signs that we used at work, a kind of sintra material with the helm formed from cardboard and paper-mache and coated in fibreglass resin (leftover from a motorcycle fairing repair). The most expensive pieces were the bits I already had being the Lightsaber and the black jedi style cloak.

As I neared completion of the costume I realised that Lightsabers had become a new fascination for me, regularly visting the custom saber shop forums and other star wars forums (I wasn't even aware that this place existed until it was linked to me) and so I decided that I too would like to convert my MR saber into a Luxeon style LED with removable blade. This would make the hilt wearable and also get rid of the more fragile MR blade, so I went ahead and ordered the parts and carried out the conversion.

Anyway, you've probably heard enough from me now, and some of you will have seen all this before on other related forums, here are some pics (some clickable).

Sith_complete_forum4.jpg

th_Sith_complete11.jpgth_Sith_complete05.jpgth_Sith_complete07.jpgth_Sith_complete15.jpg

Sith_complete_forum6.jpg

This is my first attempt at a Star Wars costume and I have already got many ideas for how to improve on it, I may continue to work on it to have it fully ready for the SW:TOR game release, or perhaps next Halloween. Future work definitely includes a custom saber though no matter what I plan with this particular costume.

Oh - and hi everyone! :D

Sorry if you misunderstood, this is my first attempt at making a STAR WARS costume. A few years ago I made a Predator costume (before discovering thehunterslair.com) from paper-mache and rubber backed carpet material and I have also made a Witch-King from LOTR aswell as other typical halloween costumes (grim reaper, devil etc). This is my best costume to date though - the lightsaber made me do it.

For halloween costumes I do like to have something different to everyone else and try to avoid the "oh, another witch/devil/zombie" type thoughts. This costume certainly seems different to anyone else and I haven't found another persons version of this costume yet. This costume was my first time using some different materials too with the SIntra (??) type material from the sale signs. Next time I plan on making a costume with armour parts I'l be sure to order a sheet of this stuff in a decent size rather than trying to use these off-cuts that I got for free

th_SL384383.jpg

Another bonus to this costume of course is the low cost. The lightsaber cost me some money but I regard that as a Star Wars Collectable in the same way that I have a TK helmet sat on a shelf in my room. The cloak has many uses (previously mentioned grim reaper for one) and so the main cost in the armour was in the paint - matt black spray and silver leaf rub 'n buff. The foam material I used was from a £1 shop camping mat.

Thanks all for the positive comments.

Nah, you wouldn't be impressed, it was Halloween 2003 and I think I only have 1 photo of it. It's still something I think about making a new version of with the massive amount of reference and detail on costuming available online today.

I also read somewhere that to help think things through in 3D then I should first try to draw the object as it would appear in 2D. I only remembered being told that AFTER I had made the costume lol. I just went straight ahead and starting cutting and sticking, I wish I'd spent more time on the helmet. The back is really rough but is covered by the hood of the cloak so I didn't really spend anytime on it and the helmet was originally planned to be for a costume for a Templar from the game Hellgate:London (was going to be my planned Halloween costume until I changed my mind after seeing the SW:TOR deceived trailer).

You can just about see how different the shape of the helmet was when I started here:

th_SL384047.jpg

ooh my gods...The Templar costumes from Hellgate are one of my ultimate want to do costumes!! lol

The female templar costume/character is the best in the FMV scenes, and with less armour probably easier to do than the male templar. I would imagine the armour parts of either version would be something to difficult for myself though. The male version is bulky heavy armoured while the female is light armoured with more agility in mind.

I have seen a couple of versions of these costumes online but I would love to see one done properly.

Guest Anonymous

*is a n00b herself*

:shock: For a first attempt... WOW is all I can say.

And by WOW... I'm not referring to World of Warcraft. I'm impressed, I really am.

Thanks for the kind comments, I wish I could do what some people have done on this fantastic forum.

I've started work on another non-canon custom Sith/dark jedi character and am loving reading through everyones costume builds in various threads on this boards. This time I am trying to take more pics through the build process and will post pics when I've finished.

Also thought I could add this edited pic to this thread:

Sith_Costume_edit.jpg

These guys are back in the latest SWTOR hope trailer.

th_Sith_Maruder_Hope_Trailer.jpg

The details on the clearest image of this helmet are slightly different, less gothic looking and more "techy". Although one of the less fortunate Sith that gets stabbed still has the "swirly" pattern, they certainly don't all look exactly the same.

Some motivation to perhaps re-do this costume. 8)

Guest Daritha

And look on the bright side: You need to watch the new awesome TOR trailer multiple times for research! ;)

And look on the bright side: You need to watch the new awesome TOR trailer multiple times for research! ;)

Oh, don't you just know it :P

After emailing one of the guys at blur that worked on the trailers I found out they referred to these characters as Sith Acolytes rather than Sith Warriors/Marauders that I had previously called them. Unfortunately he was unable to send me more detailed images like the ones that are available of Darth Malgus* and the Sith trooper* although that may change once the game has been released. It was good of him to even reply to me. 8)

I did manage to find one decent full length shot of one of these Acolytes though - stood with a height chart behind him at around 6'6".

*(a different artist that works at Blur has these characters up on his website)

A friend of mine is going to be making the Republic Trooper Armor from the Hope Trailer. I just went through and took a frame-by-frame shot of every shot with the Troopers in it.

It is a time-consuming process, but I did the same with Malgus from both videos (got the detail of the symbols on his gauntlet buttons). I could probably do the same for the Acolytes. I'll throw the shots onto a jump drive (thumb drive) and mail it to whoever wants/needs it. All I will need is the cost for the shipping/thumb drive. And, fyi, it is 3.81 GB for the screenies of the Troopers from the single video.

If anyone is interested, let me know via PM and I'll price out a decent cheap thumb drive for ya (probably through Staples).

Well, the hope trailer perked up my interest enough to make another helmet.

th_SL385608.jpg

Although the mask of the screenshot I posted above didn't have a red 'mouth' area I decided the helmet looked a little plain without the bit of colour so I painted it red anyway.

I haven't quite figured out how I am going to do the boots yet, my Halloween ones kind of gave up on me while trying to run /walk quickly. I need to find a way to make them comfortable enough and also robust. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough. For now here is another updated pic:

SL385639_t.jpg

I doubt this costume will ever count as "Canon" enough for the 501st, so far it has only appeared in 2 trailers for 1 game, but I'll have fun with it all the same as I really like the character and kinda like the fact that I haven't seen another version of the costume yet.

I've also got a low quality video

Guest Daritha

Your costume looks astonishing good. I really like this particular outfit.

I'm curious about your Halloween experiences. I fear that many might confuse you with these horse-riding "demons" from Lord of the Rings.