• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mary's Visas Marr

Guest StungunMoy

Guest StungunMoy

I've made some upgrades (although I still consider this project a work in progress, as are most of my creations! I've always liked the concept of continuously improving on a costume and its hard for me to stop working on any particular piece of work!) to my Visas Marr costume, and have compiled several reference photos with my actual photo, which will appear on the right of the spliced image. I hope these will be useful to those that are in the process of making one of their own images of Visas, and as always, constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated to help improve on my future modifications!

Reference picture on left, Mary's picture on right

visasflag1copy.jpg

The veil required some "sinkers", or weights, to keep it down. I purchase several small fishing sinkers, and attached them throughout the interior of the hood. The hood is made of two types of maroon fabric. The top layer, which is the primary fabric, is the same fabric used in the under dress. The second maroon fabric is sheer, doubled over several times, and dyed to be the exact match to the dress fabric. I attached the two where the gold design merges the two fabrics, hiding the seam with gold, and thus allowing me to see through the veil. (Although it does mean I see maroon!)

visasflag5copy.jpg

The edge, or seam, on the reference pictures had a visibly lighter tone than the rest of the material. I purchased cotton bias tape to hem the fabric, since it was vinyl and not the easiest fabric to hem, and hand painted the bias tape with fabric paint to blend in with the fabric but still have several lighter spots to emphasize the binding, as is in the reference shots.

5770_516667642562_82100793_30815-1.jpg

Full Body Comparison

visasflag2copy.jpg

Full sleeves tucked under the arm guards, which were detachable and fastened around black gloves.

visasflag4copy.jpg

Pinwheel effect. I used the wonderful printout pinwheel effect available on these boars, and made a stencil. Used automotive vinyl spray to apply the pattern onto the fabric, and emphasized the coloring with lumiere fabric paint.

visasflag6copy.jpg

Final product.

visasflag7copy.jpg

viss.jpgl_a41d4b8418f3950e5b8c4390053de5-1.jpg

I have to chuckle lightly to myself; I really like your "side by side" comparisons.

Great work Mary Ellen.

I have been watching the work on your own costumes, as well as your influence on the work of others. And I am really impressed. You have great attention to detail and a strong understanding of your subjects. Your humility is itself humbling.

Makes me smile.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest StungunMoy

Thank you Thomas :)

I am truly appreciative of your observation to my costuming, and I thank you. Its a great feeling to receive such wonderful feedback on my projects.

I'm continuing the praising. Your costume is an impressive piece of work. I esp. like the face-to-face comparison. At first I just think that this was a Light/Dark Side shot (since the 2nd one is a little more shady) but then I came over with "Wait, that's ... whoa!"