• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Fabric soft parts

charlesbanks1986

I'm interested in fabric too. I tried to make the cape with a synthetic that was not at all cooperative for my first attempt at knife pleats, and very nearly murdered a sewing machine.

Soft parts may be the death of this costume for me... Or possibly the end of my marriage. If someone has a pattern for soft parts I'd be interested in that too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used black curtains from Walmart for the hood and cape, and a tightly woven cotton for the hakama. The only problem I had was the hakama got so thick in places that it started breaking my needles, so I took it to the university costume shop to have them finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For mine I used a quality cotton (heavy). However ive built another Revan (he brought me material to match his vendor purchased Revan) and that was a Poly based.  One of the most important things is that you stick with a good weight material.

Natural will always yeild better results as it lays nicer, its not shiny but the cost is a lot higher. its easy to be seduced to the "dark side" by the price of the Poly fabrics. :P