• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Paint for the Lekku

blackrock

Hi,

I am working on making my daughter a conservative version for Darth Talon for the Galactic Academy, so it doesn't need to be 501st perfect.  She is going to be wearing a red bodysuit that we will be putting the body tattoos on.  I am looking at using Ben Nye for the face paint (don't want her to have a bad time trooping due to alcohol fumes), but my question is for the latex lekku.  Will the Ben Nye stay on the lekku well enough to avoid frequent touch ups (for example, would it last a day at Comic Con) or should I go alcohol based for the lekku?

Thanks for your insight!

-Steve

It'll definitely last a day at a convention. I used Ben Nye paints before switching over to alcohol based, and had no problems with it fading over the weekend.  I had to do touch ups from time to time between conventions, but I think the only times I had to repaint mine were when I changed the shade of blue I was using.

I personally only use Ben Nye. also look into buying some Nuta set.. omg its a blessing!! I can wear my Amidala all day and not get makeup on my face

Ben-Nye-Neutral-Set-600x431.jpg

walk3small.jpg

Guest i.Chimaera

For latex I always recommend a permanent solution- or an alcohol activated paint. I have done twi'lek, Silurian, Asari, Togruta, Faery (Maleficent and Galadriel), and even a Turian and nothing is more freeing than being able to ignore your appliance except to stop a crowd from pulling them.

I made one set of lekku flesh toned and used latona's and Reel Creations to paint Talon markings and then was still able to strip it completely back for their now permanent use as Rachi. So I went from red and black to lavender. 

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/media-costumes/sci-fi/madame-vastra/

I mixed my own paints for the silicone and the latex and my face from the same pigments, and then touched up over the top with paints that are slightly less durable but give a more blended appearance.

I would suggest that Talon being patterned with such high contrast is definitely worth investing the time to make the patterns durable. I can easily patch my Rachi lekku with an airbrush or with waterbased paints but Talon.. oy, if I didn't have the patterns as strongly stuck as they are are simply not as easy to touch up.

Also the thing about AA is that once cured on the latex will not cause any issues. I do notice a smell with my local brand but it's more like a really heavy foundation smell.

Another question.  Read on some forums that they recommend using Final Seal to help lock in the paint for the day.  Some say mix it in with the liquid paint before airbrushing (a 10% mix) while others add it later.  Thoughts?

Also finished up the tattoos for her bodysuit last night.  Just need to darken them up a little more.  http://i.imgur.com/DOhhgMb.jpg