• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan 3D Printable Costume Pieces (WIP) (Needs Feedback)

AhmedJaber

I've just started modeling pieces for my 3D print-heavy Revan. I'll be uploading pieces to the following link as I model them:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:817868

Please feel free to download and print these if you'd like.

----------

Parts Uploaded:

• Large O-Ring (not yet approved)
  • Belt Armor (not yet approved)
  • Lightsaber Assembly (not yet approved)

----------

If possible, I'd like to get feedback regarding CRL compliance for each part so I know what still needs work. Thanks!

For the time, there are a lot of elements about this post that raise questions that I don't believe have been asked yet or need to be asked again.   I am going to have to hold off on commenting until I get more information.

For the time, there are a lot of elements about this post that raise questions that I don't believe have been asked yet or need to be asked again.   I am going to have to hold off on commenting until I get more information.

Did I break a rule? Sorry, I'm new.

Good morning,

These prints are listed as “501st Compliant.” I am not sure what you intend with this, but it infers 501st endorsement, something our costuming community does not do.

Please remove allusions to the 501st from your offerings.
Sharing your work in progress is encouraged. I recommend sharing both the reference material and your work side by side;

Large_O-Ring_preview_featured.jpg

gallery_1488_131_1427581445_433.jpg

Probably best to just remove all references to the 501 from it, you could instead say "screen accurate" to the video game, ect.  You're welcome to also give credit to Robert Rodgers and his Wicked Armor site as inspiration.   Just make sure you're not 'recasting' in digital.

Probably best to just remove all references to the 501 from it, you could instead say "screen accurate" to the video game, ect.

Done. There was never any intent to imply that the parts were "endorsed" or "official", just that the project's aim was to satisfy 501st quality standards. If there are no more problems with jargon, I was hoping that someone could look at the models themselves and let me know if they're accurate.

You're welcome to also give credit to Robert Rodgers and his Wicked Armor site as inspiration.   Just make sure you're not 'recasting' in digital.

I'm actually making it a point to avoid looking at any existing kits when modeling my parts. So far I've been working almost entirely with in-game screenshots from KOTOR, mostly this one (note that the helmet looks weird because I'm trying to infer the hidden portions):

9fiSXmn.jpg

Any similarities between what I'm doing existing kits are because we're required to stick to the source material and there's only so much detail that one can extract from low-res textures in a decade-old game. You'll start to see significant differences between my work and the kits when I get to more difficult parts like the helmet/mask (which will be made of aluminum with fans for air circulation. I have to make major changes anyway because my nose is inconveniently large.) and cuirass (which will incorporate leather and hand-forged bronze).

There's going to be a very thorough writeup in the near future detailing the research I've been putting into this project that should demonstrate just how much different I'm trying to make my costume from the ones I've seen so far.

While not from Kotor, here is something to consider in the mask/helmet debate:

maxresdefault.jpg

recovering_the_mask_of_revan_by_keldabe9

Revan_and_T3-M4_TERC.jpg

I cannot find a similar shot from the actual KOTOR movie despite a decent amount of searching, normally I have one by now but thanks to Kylo Ren, the search is now polluted with images that aren't Revan.

Yeah, plus there's the big plot twist cinematic in KOTOR where Revan pulls his mask off. But the comics show a helmet. My compromise is going to be a full helmet with a removable face mask held in place with magnets. I love magnets.

I'd argue that it has been and still is referred to as a "mask" defining itself as NOT a piece that completely covers the whole head like helmets do. But how far back does a "mask" go? I like AL's mask chck out his forum. I forget where he got it, but it may be the one I'll get for the future.