• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth nihilus mask easier way?

Skyrim Sith

For sure! I'm sure you'll discover clay easy to work with once you start. Use water to smooth it out. I used a basic face template from a local art store and sculpted on that. It's vaccuforming or the silicone and fiberglass molding afterwords that can get tricky... Depends on how you want your final mask to be!

You might be able to find something like Sculpey to bake and use right off the bat. I imagine Sculpey itself would be very heavy though. Could possibly use paper mâché pulp on a mask template, you'd just have to make sure to bondo and sand it to smooth it out after.

Well I do body work and paint for a living so I can do the finish work and smoothing out it's just sculpting I'm worried about I have a few ideas of some stuff I'm going to try I went and picked up some stuff from hobby lobby and party city last light to get started.

Awesome! Post up pics as you go! Print off lots of reference photos of your favourite mask style and just have those around as you work to refer to. :)

-Soft parts need to be made.

-Boots are just black riding boots (probably have better luck in the women's department, fall/winter).

-Belts can be found at thrift stores (or buy leather), glued together, little nub things bought from Tandy leather (link is in the forums somewhere).

-Gloves from a lady in Bulgaria on EBay - Pandurska92 or Leather Mystics. I have both, Pandurska's are much nicer.

I made my mask and it was the longest, and hardest piece to make. I would recommend purchasing one since there are some great Nihilus mask makers out there. If you do want to give it a shot though, go ahead! I am really proud of the fact I made my mask, even though it was difficult. I went through 5 versions before my final one that I wear. I tried the Sculpy route and it was a disaster, so don't make your mask out of that. It is heavy and very fragile. I ended up making my base mask out of Sculpy and then moulding a lightweight mask on top of it out of acrylic medium. Not the most efficient way to make a mask, but it worked out.

For the soft parts, I do take commissions, but be warned I am booked till the summer currently. So you would have to wait a while.

Cheers,

Nef

For the fabric, you will want something that drapes (hangs) nicely and has some decent weight to it. Most people go with Silk Noil (raw silk) or with a heavier linen. Depends on your budget and what you can find out there for fabric.

I have a few friends with 3D printers, but I don't think any of them have though about printing a mask yet. I can ask them and see what they think.

Cheers,

Nef

Talked to my friends with 3D printers. They all say that, yes, it would be easy to print a Nihilus mask. You would just need a good 3D model to print it from. You could also print 1 mask and make a mold to cast more from, which would be the cheaper option. But you can just print a bunch of them as well.

Cheers,

Nef

I used a light quilters cotton batting in between 2 layers of black fabric. Measure out the 1 inch lines on the inside of the sleeve (the side not going to be seen) if you need to. Then sew the three pieces together. Start with the line in the very centre and work your way out to the edge alternating between each side. This will keep the 3 pieces even so you don't end up with one side more screwed than the other.

That is how I did my sleeves and it worked out well. Then just attach the sleeves to the inside tunic.

Cheers,

Nef

Just note that 3D printers generally require a lot of tweaking and troubleshooting. However if you are technically inclined then it would be a very useful purchase for costuming. My husband used his 3D printer to make the center detail of my mask. I didn't want to print the whole thing as I personally find asymmetrical faces more appealing and wanted to sculpt it myself.

Some libraries/comminuty centers also have 3D printers that you can use for a fee. Would probably be worth looking into. Have fun!